Author Topic: If I were to start a Community Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
If I were to start a Community Dwarf Fortress...
Who would be interested in doing a 2-year stint as God?

Basically, I'll track down a place, and we can pick someone to get started with the Fortress, then we rotate the Fortress around whoever is involved every 2 game years. I'm searching for a decent site which should provide some interesting events, but it'd be good to have a list of players so I know whether it's worth starting :)

Each player is expected to give an update of events each year, preferably with screen-shots of interesting/amusing events.

Current Players are:

* Flipside
* Shade

I'll update the list as we get volunteers.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Re: If I were to start a Community Dwarf Fortress...
If the game weren't such a pain in the ass to learn, I would join you.

A robot man can dream though. A robot man can dream.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Right now probably isn't the best time to ask anyhow, people might be more interested in a few days :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I promise you the fortress will be a giant flaming utter wreck when I'm done with it?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Shade

That's generally how these things go. It's part of the fun :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You don't realize I never did manage to make one that was even remotely successfully. :P I never even really surmounted the learning curve. You'll have three dwarves left, and one of them will be on fire.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL I don't think there's ever a point in the game where you aren't trying to balance up stuff, the worst part is later years, since once the defences are in place, your biggest enemy is bored dwarves throwing tantrums because of lack of work ;)

I just getting a hang of this. My starting Fortress surviving for over a year now with a pop of 24. I could give it a try. Suggesting however to reduce round length to one year(from spring to spring as it was with Boatmurdered) so that a bad overseer doesn't have time to completely screw everything up. Instead have one person possibly have several turns.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yup, I'm thinking that if the list is pretty short, we'll do a 'round robin' technique, so it just passes between us until it is a smouldering, goblin infested ruin, which is what it will end inevitably end up as at some point :)

Offline Shade

If you haven't found a good starting location yet, this might be a candidate: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28629.0

Looks like it has lots of good stuff as well as being challenging, what with having both haunted areas and a potential for being at war with the elves.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'll take a look at it, thanks :)

If someone (like I) felt discouraged by the games unclear ASCII graphics then I definitely recommend using a user created graphics set. Make the game look a bit cartoonish but definitely more readable and eye-pleasing.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Oooh, I have to try the game again with such a graphic set. I love the setting and depth of the game, but can't force myself to really get into it, because the ASCII graphics require a little too much imagination to get a picture of what's going on. I can barely disinguish between solid rock and mined out areas.

I don't expect spiffy graphics, but even simple 8bit style tile sets are a huge improvement.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Shade

Yep, graphics sets help a lot in making the game more accessible.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've taken a look and it seems pretty nice, did some scouting out, and found the magma chamber by accident, so we will have a slight advantage if we use this one, since I know what level the entrance is on and would avoid hard-boiled dwarves ;)

I'm going to try and regenerate it using the seed though, since the map for download is on an older version of DF, and it won't let you block dump items.

My only complaint is that there seems very little coal around, wood is ok, but no sign of any Lignite or Bitumous coal deposits, which could be a problem for steelmaking.

There is, however, a [fair amount of Copper, if people consent, I might set up a reaction of Copper to Coal, one bar of copper = 1 Bar of Coal or something like that?

Wild animals are plentiful, with some wolves and the odd macaque attack, and wood is enough to get you started, I'll take some with me anyway.

I suppose I can play the first year, and upload the saved game here, and you can go for the second, and just see who takes an interest?

Offline Shade

Gave it a try myself (whee, double advantage for the first years :D), and it seems to me there's actually plenty wood for steelmaking, so no need for mods - Besides, copper is superior for training up smiths to legendary without using precious steel ;) Specifically, I hit an underground pool, and after that it was easy to set up a huge underground tree farm to cover future needs :) Oh, and 40d does have block dumping, it's just under a submenu in designations rather than directly accessible: d->b->d to mass dump, and other options under d->b for mass forbidding/reclaiming/melting etc.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I was under the impression that making steel required Bituminous coal or Lignite, in fact I've been avoiding areas because of that fact. I was thinking 'refined coal' meant the stuff you made at a smelter rather than a wood-burner... Damn.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I'll sign up.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I'll take part, I've only been playing for a couple of weeks, but my current (and first) fortress is going alright, take a look if you want:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7671-cryptcrescent
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, to be honest, this is still little more than an idea, and there weren't many takers. Maybe early next year we'll see if we can have a proper go at it :)