Author Topic: If I were to start a Community Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 5348 times)

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Re: If I were to start a Community Dwarf Fortress...
If we were looking for a decent place to set up, I'd go for a place with underground lakes, HFS, magma pipes (smelting and FTW devices >D), and probably an evil aligned place to make things interesting and fun
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I'd totally be up for this if it ever gets off the ground.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I think I've found the perfect place:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32682.0

quote from post:
Children of Armok rejoice! I have found a site with HFS, a magma pipe, sand, a forest, a brook, an underground river, a bottomless pit, flux stone, a chasm, and an underground pool! Rhyollite, marble, diorite! Silty clay loam, loam, black sand! Temperate Wilderness! The magma pipe is a volcano! All civilizations have access! Cliffs, low to high! Rejoice and pray for the glory is upon us! a 6x6 site that has the magnificence only before dreamed of! Truly Armok and The Toady One have given me this site as a sign of my faithfulness.

O_O

*Begins world gen with vanilla DF*

Yep, I've got it!

If we were to setup a Succession Game, I think it would be a good idea to turn the dwarvern economy off...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:29:18 pm by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Agreed, the money system is a bit broken at the moment, and I always end up with the rooms that are too expensive to be rented, where my Mason and/or Carpenter has got to the stage of producing Masterworks at almost every go :(

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Heh, at least you didn't engrave every single flat surface in all of the 3x3 bedrooms in a bid to make your dwarves happy.
room rental is now 600+ DorfBucks...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:49:36 am by qazwsx »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I read Boatmurdered yesterday. It almost makes me want to try learning this game, again. Almost.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm content with not having to playing the game and just sticking to reading it.  I still rank that as one of the most amazing things I've ever come across on the Internets. :D

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I found a graphics pack, and am giving it another shot.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
good luck BloodEagle  :yes:

speaking of graphics packs, how do we plan to distribute the succession games? should we copy over only the game save, (however this would bring in problems with the dwarven economy setting, and people having to modify their init.txt) or should we copy over the whole DF folder? (this would also lead to problems with init.txt, e.g. resolution settings as well as graphical packs.)

I propose we create a modified DF folder, (economy off, no graphic packs, possibly other settings enabled, e.g. partial redraw, fluid numbers, etc.) which we all agree to use, adding whatever graphical packs we want to. In terms of storage of the game saves, someone will need to keep a permanent, unedited backup of (at least) the last posted gamesave in case anything happens to the current player.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I think I've just about got the hang of it, though I think I'm about to lose my first second third fortress woefully indefensible settlement town-city-state. A vast (12?) goblinoid army appeared a short distance from my entrance, and I have a standing army of around 6 wrestlers (champions), 4 (maybe 5, I can't recall) marksdwarves, and a couple of recruits armed with crossbows. I think I'm low on ammunition, and I can't find any materials (no sharpenable stone or coal) to make swords with.

I've also learned that you can't engrave built walls or floors. That kind of sucks. I'd rather they turn into permanent materials than act as a structure.

:/

Anywho.... If you all decide to use a graphics pack, I'd be happy to take a turn at the helm.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I fought off a 50+ goblin siege with 4 champion hammerers :P

I channeled them into a 1-square wide entrance, which lead down to a large, open area, in which these 4 dwarves were waiting, Goblin snooker FTW

There's nothing stopping you from using a graphics pack, all we need to post is the "region1" or whatever it's called folder, if I can remember right...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Anywho.... If you all decide to use a graphics pack, I'd be happy to take a turn at the helm.

Usually that's up to personal preference.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hrrmmm...

Is there a good graphics pack for this anywhere? I'd be more interested in playing this if I knew of better GUI...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
A vast (12?) goblinoid army appeared a short distance from my entrance, and I have a standing army of around 6 wrestlers (champions), 4 (maybe 5, I can't recall) marksdwarves, and a couple of recruits armed with crossbows.

So it turns out that rockfall traps are a Hell of a lot better than I thought they were.  :drevil:

-----

Hrrmmm...

Is there a good graphics pack for this anywhere? I'd be more interested in playing this if I knew of better GUI...

I'm using Mike Mayday's DFG. Aside from some contrast issues (it's a little hard to tell where goblins are), it works really well.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I spent a few minutes looking for this, and forgive my laziness, but...

...link plox!  :nervous:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Graphics_set_repository#Mike_Mayday.27s_combined_pack_.28DFG.29

The linked site doesn't appear to be loading, for me. So... mirror of the one I downloaded.

------------

In other news:

After repelling a much larger goblinoid invasion force, my entire population has decided to go completely insane. I would imagine that it's because I can't seem to produce enough barrels to keep up with the needed ale production.

Anywho, almost all of my guard has joined the ranks of the insane. I have two champion wrestlers going around trying (you know, when they aren't to busy sleeping, eating, and messing around) to kill all of the insane dwarves.

One of my blacksmiths actually chased a youngling and its pet into my currently-under-construction crypt. Two dwarves and their pets then attempted to grab the bodies, and were subsequently sent to their maker. And on, and on, and on.