Author Topic: It seems so empty  (Read 2929 times)

Offline vp21ct

It seems like the server is deserted. I wonder if this is just because of bad timing or if there really is no one on. Should I go through the trouble of getting my friends to join and play, or should I just try to be on at better times.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
By all means get them to play.  That is the big problem right now quite a few people want to play but at different times and days.  The more people playing the more games there will be. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
By all means get them to play.  That is the big problem right now quite a few people want to play but at different times and days.  The more people playing the more games there will be. 

Well if you live in Australia (like me), the ping is ridiculous

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic

can you give some numbers to the ridiculous ping
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

can you give some numbers to the ridiculous ping

The first week i looked on fs2netviewer there were less than 3 games a day, and they were all red bar, my estimation upon playing, was somewhere in excess of 400

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
we were playing with that sort of ping on a regular basis in the 3.6.9 era , and it really depends on where the host is , the standalone servers are fubars so they are based in north america , we tend to use these as it takes away a little of the hosts advantage..... but there is nothing stopping you from hosting yourself then your ping will be fine for us it will be crap, we need to find some one in asia to host so the ping will be sort of equal or find away of setting up a ring of standalone servers  so we can try to neutralise this problem

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
we were playing with that sort of ping on a regular basis in the 3.6.9 era , and it really depends on where the host is , the standalone servers are fubars so they are based in north america , we tend to use these as it takes away a little of the hosts advantage..... but there is nothing stopping you from hosting yourself then your ping will be fine for us it will be crap, we need to find some one in asia to host so the ping will be sort of equal or find away of setting up a ring of standalone servers  so we can try to neutralise this problem

Ahh I see, fair enough

I'm used to a ping of less than 100 playing BF2142, and less than 200 on cod4

maybe if you appealed for people with some high end internet to host in each part of the world? I would like to count myself in for such an appeal... but I'm currently running on 512k here... so not exactly ideal for more than about 4 people, and thats if their in the same country

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well when the standalone server is stable enough to recommend it for daily use we'll definitely remember to bug you to set one up.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Remember the pings on the FS2netD server are not what you will see in game.  In retail FS2 400 was a good ping.  200 and you were in heaven.  Under 100 and you sent everyone else to the other place. 

If you haven't tried 3.6.10 yet do so.  Pings are much better. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Yeah, 3.6.9 had several bugs which artificially inflated ping times so anything it gives is basically worthless.  3.6.10, however much I wanted to avoid it, also has a slight design issue held over from 3.6.9 which can make ping times higher than they should be because of some traffic issues.  That will be fixed in the next FS2NetD rewrite though.

And as FUBAR-BDHR says, don't think of what the FS2NetD website says as really valid ping time wise.  Those ping times are what that person/host gets to the FS2NetD server, not necessarily to anyone else.  Ping times when actually in a game with that person could be far different.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Sometimes I think those bars on the website are backwards.  Half the time I get red to my own servers and green to people in other countries.