Author Topic: Anyone play any of the Ace Combat series  (Read 11427 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Anyone play any of the Ace Combat series
Anyone play any of the Ace Combat series?  I just downloaded, for my XBox360, the Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation demo and while its not a serious simulation in any way...the aircraft are beautiful and the plot actually seems to be quite good (judging more from the trailers) for a shoot em up action game.

I might see if I can find it in the bargain bin somewhere (its been out for a while now).
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Anyone play any of the Ace Combat series
Read my nickname. What would be the answer? :p :D

I mastered all games of the series(even the one for GBA) except for AC6...I don't have an XBox 360 and my plans to buy that console...well...failed.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline eliex

A friend gave me The Belkan War for my birthday sometime ago . . . still haven't come round to playing it thoroughly though.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Ouch... :(

If you complete all missions and unlock the secret mission...well...there's a good chance you'll find me at the end. :drevil:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
AC6 was a blast.

The mission design is frequently exasperating and the story is melodramatic and very poorly written, but it's still a blast.

It's also gorgeous.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I tried. I stopped when I realized that my F-16 had 70 AAMs.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I play Falcon 4.0, which is paranoically detailed, but in spite of that passion for authenticity, I was able to just chuckle and rock out with the ten billion missiles per fighter.

Anyway, forget that -- the really crazy bit is never running out of fuel.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I have both Ace Combat 4 and 5 lying around, but I've never gotten around to picking up and playing either one.

Offline Inquisitor

Its a hoot on the 360. Worth playing. some of the missions make you want to pull your eyes out with a spork, but much of it is pure fun.

Not a sim by any stretch, but awfully pretty and lots of things go boom.
No signature.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Its a hoot on the 360. Worth playing. some of the missions make you want to pull your eyes out with a spork, but much of it is pure fun.

It can be tremendously frustrating.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
But it just seems soo..... COOL!

I played AC6 FOL through once last year, but that whole "Garuda One, Fox Two!" thing really did it for me, and just watching an AIM-9L rip apart an F-16 in front of your eyes was just...awesome! So awesome in fact it inspired me to take math tuition, become an Air Force Cadet and talk to my careers counsellor  :pimp:

However the end and Shamrock's kamikaze run was complete bs

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I think we need arcadey air combat games like this for PC.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I think we need arcadey air combat games like this for PC.

But PC has some form of 'seriousness'

The whole idea of a console to me represents the portability of the arcade. I don't think I could look at the Flight simulator series again if I played the first ace combat game on PC. AC6 however some parts I did like, the epic dogfights (the first mission), but I don't think you could do that with a keyboard+mouse or a joystick, or just a PC in general, it doesn't fit IMO. I know you can just plug in a 360 controller to a PC, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Only played the PSP one, got bored (though I didn't get bored of it as quickly as the people around me did), stopped halfway. 30+ fighters easily catches my interest. XD

I kinda liked the Japanese AC6 trailer though... but when you watch it again and again you learn to realise that it's more or less fluff to sell something below expectations... (I'm not implying crap, just "not what I expected", that's all).

Now if only AC had those fightercraft from a certain anime... I might jump all over it, I might not, but oh well. Fictional aircraft duking it out with real-world stuff looks fun for a while, they might as well expand on it XD :lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
A great summary of the AC-series! :D I bet they even have that as a design-requirement, verbatim.

I own (and I do mean OWN) AC4 and 5 - I haven't seen AC0 in a shop near me, and an Xbox will not come near me for whatever reason. 4 was still basically gritty warfare, but with 5 they started to do some story-telling, and seemed to fall into the same trap FF and most other console-RPGs do: They try SO HARD to portray some pihlosophic bits and doodads, and whether or not they succeed, common sense jumps out of the window before the intro's over and is followed by 10-60 hours of "'ere, doan' make no sense!"...

But, what the hell, they have the Su-47!
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
it's for fun.
story: garbage
flying plane spitting missles at EVERYTHING: win
online: 2WIN
lag: downer

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
story: garbage

Soeey, but I don't agree. Do you know why series like Ace Combat keep living while "serious" sims die? The answer is simple: because of the storylines.

I play both serious and arcade flight sims. When I want something realistic I play a serious sim but when I want plenties of messages, characters and a storyline my choice is Ace Combat.

The best thing would be to have the realism of PC sims combined with AC style storylines. That'd be fantastic, IMO.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Definitely not a serious sim but it does look quite fun.  I enjoy the serious side of air combat through IL-2.  I haven't gotten into Lomac except for that games demo as its massively complicated and beyond even my need for detail.  This looks like allot of shooting with a semi-real premise (although not too real :))...if its pretty and its a blast like everyone is saying then I think I may try and find it for a bargin somewhere.

Occasionally you just need to blow stuff up without thinking too too much.  If its enjoyable but a bit challenging then I'm alright with that.

The frustrating missions...without giving too much away...what makes them frustrating?
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I suggest to play Ace Combat X. Even if I haven't played AC6 yet I know what its physics are like and I can ensure you that ACX's gaming experience is, without any doubt, the best of the series.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Soeey, but I don't agree. Do you know why series like Ace Combat keep living while "serious" sims die? The answer is simple: because of the storylines.

Seconded. While AC's Storylines are a bit clichéed, I find them to be pretty enthralling. AC5 and AC Zero are my Favorites of the PS2-Versions....I'm actually playing them, whenever I don't know which film to watch...

Oh, and the Soundtrack is pretty awesome, too. Especially AC Zero's.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns