Author Topic: Far Cry 2, Worth Buying?  (Read 5631 times)

Far Cry 2, Worth Buying?
I am interested in this game, but I am conflicted. I have read some very good reviews for it. But, I have also seen some negative feedback on forums from people who have picked it up. Is the game any good, and are there any nasty bugs in it? I am inquiring about the pc version.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Re: Far Cry 2, Worth Buying?
I can't watch that, I'm stuck on dial up.

Offline Demitri

:lol: That was all different kinds of genius
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
those reviews are awesome.
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

There aren't any really nasty bugs to it.....it's just badly designed.  You'll spend a majority of your time driving through winding jungle roads, stopping every 30 yards to kill the respawning checkpoint guards, and very little time doing anything interesting.

I thought it was fun. The checkpoints do get annoying though and like the original Far Cry it gets stupid difficult toward the end. It wasn't as good as the original Far Cry.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I passed up this game, since most user opinions I've seen are fairly negative. It apparently has nothing in common with the first Far Cry except for the fact that they both have large, outdoor levels. Crysis was the real sequel to Far Cry.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I passed up this game, since most user opinions I've seen are fairly negative. It apparently has nothing in common with the first Far Cry except for the fact that they both have large, outdoor levels. Crysis was the real sequel to Far Cry.

Which has nothing in common with Far Cry except large, outdoor levels. How is it different?  :P
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The story is completely different, but the gameplay is quite similar. It was made by the same development team. In contrast, FC2's gameplay is supposed to involve a lot of driving and has a very repetitive feel since all the enemies respawn.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
It is repetitive, but is also fun.

You don't have to fight all the guys that respawn at the control points, just drive them over. :D
Alternatively, once you get the sniper rifle, kill them from a far ( one or two kills, then change your position).
If your PC can handle it, max out the graphics.
I never saw Sunrises or sunsets that beautiful before, except maybe in Crysis.

I think I might go ahead and get a copy for 10 or 15 dollars off ebay. People are selling it cheap there. It would give me something to do until F.E.A.R. 2 is released next month.

Far Cry 2, much like Far Cry 1, is generally something to pass on - albeit for entirely different reasons.

Repetitive is an understatement.  You'll spend much, much more time driving and killing respawning guard posts then you will doing anything remotely interesting.
But at least they don't go for 3 good levels, then bring in mutant monkeys and screw the pooch.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i got the game free with my gtx260. i pretty much like the way it is. sorta like elite/privateer/tachyon/freelancer, but in an fps game. really its no different. you run around pretty much doing your own thing, you have story missions, side missions, youre free to explore and treasure hunt. theres no running out of ammo. theres always more at the weapons shop or at the checkpoints. i mean if that kinda game kicks so much ass in a space ship, why not as a guy behind a gun.

problem is fps gamers tend to want their game to be like doom. they want to play a map, kill everything in it then go to the next one. or they want death match, ctf and all that other crap. frankly thats not why i play fps games. fps gamers tend to want their games cast from the same mold. they want every fps game to be the same. frankly im glad theres games out there that try to be different. 

if you play fps games merely for eyecandy (as i do) then its an awesome game. the graphics are pretty awesome. not to dissimilar from crysis. big outdoor levels are a nice change. lots of games have real good indoor engines, idtech4 for example. but its nice to see huge outdoor megamaps where you can pretty much go anywhere seamlessly. its good to see games that actually push limits for a change.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Most of the criticisms are accurate - the gameplay is repetitive, there's a lot of travel time and there's about ten minutes of story content in the entire 20+ hours of gametime. Voice acting's mostly horrendous as well.

And yet I enjoyed this vastly more than either the first game or its true sequel Crysis. I don't know what it is, to be honest. The core gameplay's fun, but all you ever do is go from place to place carrying out very samey objectives. If you put a little effort into it you can create your own variation - the game is very clearly designed around it. It's why the objectives are so generic. Spend a minute or two with your monocle mapping out an enemy location and planning your assault and suddenly every encounter is far more interesting.

But that doesn't explain how much I like the game. Somehow, after sinking something like 15 hours into it, I'm just enjoying the experience of playing it. Even the travelling is satisfying to me. This wasn't the case at first - but once I got to about the 60% completion mark, unlocked many of the better weapons, and started taking it slower, I'm having fun just cruising around exploring the game world doing everything there is to do.

I don't think it's something you can force, and I don't think it's something that can be summed up properly in reviews. I agree with just about everything in Yahtzee's review from a critical perspective, and yet I wouldn't change a thing in this game.

It's a mystery to me. Doubly strange as I'm a linear, story-driven gamer at heart - Far Cry 2 couldn't be more opposite to my tastes. But once I'd gotten my finger on the pulse of the world I didn't really want to leave it. I went from burning through the story missions in a rush to get the game out of the way, to completing every single near-identical side-mission. To be honest I never understood the people who dropped 50+ hours on games like Oblivion, but now I think I do.

As far as I'm concerned this was the best FPS of 2008.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Ransom, now you are definitely surprising me.

Worth buying? No.
I am a story-orientied gamer, just like Ransom. But I can't see the positive things he's referring too. The game falls apart with it's almost non-exisiting story, "friends" that have no personality at all and just get replaced with another when dying and stupid missions (they are always secret missions for one of the factions, which is just an excuse to still have every faction attacking you).

Play Crysis. Play Call of Duty 4. (not World at War)   Those were the recent shooter highlights on PC, for me FarCry2 is NOT among them.

My personal hint: Wait until Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena comes out in Spring for PC, 360 and PS3. This going to be the next. The first Riddick was a PERFECT game (something incredibly sparse!) and this new game is just a huge love letter to all the fans. It's even included here as a remake, with new shiny graphics.

Trust me on this (-> Ransom  :)).
Some trailers?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43332.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44634.html
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline aRaven

Far Cry 2 gets repetive and very boring after a while...I didn't finish it...

Assault on Dark Athena will be so sick...I personally can't wait. EFBB was so good.

In the meanwhile I can suggest Fallout 3... That game is a lot of fun, too.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Believe me, Vidmaster, I'm as surprised as you are that I liked this game. I think it's a case where words are next to useless. The only way Triple Ace is ever going to know whether he'll like the game or not is if he plays it, because I'm not the only one who thought they'd hate it and ended up loving it, and there's plenty who thought they'd love it and ended up hating it.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to Dark Athena. I actually bought Escape from Butcher Bay but never got around to finishing it. This re-release will make an excellent excuse.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
sometimes it clicks I suppose. I have a similar relationship with the game Advent Rising (PC version). It makes me feel powerful. Very powerful. How cares about the countless glitches then?  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
sometimes it clicks I suppose. I have a similar relationship with the game Advent Rising (PC version). It makes me feel powerful. Very powerful. How cares about the countless glitches then?  :)

I guess you really like kicking alien ass across a level. :p

Moving on, I can handle a bit of gameplay sacrifice for the sake of story, but it still has to feel like I'm interacting in a meaningful way, not just standing there watching it like a movie. But for it to work out, the storyline had better be good.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...