Author Topic: Far Cry 2, Worth Buying?  (Read 5633 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Far Cry 2, Worth Buying?
I may get Far Cry 2 in the future, when the price drops and I have more time for games in general. I do like large, open-ended maps much better than the typical assault course maps seen in a lot of FPSs. That was one of my favorite aspects of Far Cry 1 and Crysis.

The respawning enemies are probably the main thing keeping me away right now. I have seen other games like that and it always annoys me, since you don't get any sense of accomplishment if you have to keep clearing out the same areas over and over again. The COD games and Assassin's Creed also had this issue to a lesser extent.

i got the game free with my gtx260. i pretty much like the way it is. sorta like elite/privateer/tachyon/freelancer, but in an fps game. really its no different. you run around pretty much doing your own thing, you have story missions, side missions, youre free to explore and treasure hunt. theres no running out of ammo. theres always more at the weapons shop or at the checkpoints. i mean if that kinda game kicks so much ass in a space ship, why not as a guy behind a gun.

It's great that a game lets you explore freely, but there still need to be interesting things to do in the game world. This was the problem with Freelancer, for example. The game world was big but there wasn't much to do apart from just flying around and seeing different systems. The randomly generated missions were incredibly boring and there wasn't much variety in the stuff you could buy.

My personal hint: Wait until Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena comes out in Spring for PC, 360 and PS3. This going to be the next. The first Riddick was a PERFECT game (something incredibly sparse!) and this new game is just a huge love letter to all the fans. It's even included here as a remake, with new shiny graphics.

Yes, this game could be great. I wouldn't say Riddick:EFBB was perfect, only because of the very short length, but it had no real flaws apart from that and many innovative ideas.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I wouldn't say Riddick:EFBB was perfect, only because of the very short length, but it had no real flaws apart from that and many innovative ideas.

I answer by quoting Ransom Arcreihn.
I've always bought on quality, never length.
Riddick does something I've never seen in any other game (No joke). It always puts you in unique situations. There is NEVER any repetition of a particular situation. Also, the stealth is great. Stealth isn't about hiding, it is about preying.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Riddick does something I've never seen in any other game (No joke). It always puts you in unique situations. There is NEVER any repetition of a particular situation. Also, the stealth is great. Stealth isn't about hiding, it is about preying.

I agree in general, but Riddick was a game that really left me wanting more by the time I was finished. It's probably one of the shortest FPS games I have played, which is all the more noticeable because of how much depth and variety the game had.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i liked the riddiik movies but never tried he games. my experience is that movie/tv franchise games usually suck. might see if theres a demo or something.

i really like to see fps games try new tricks. like prey's gravity effects i thought were pretty cool. i could excuse the fact that the missions sucked, i mean how often do you see a complicated mission in an fps game? its usually kill this blow up that, flip this switch grab that key. when it comes right down to it theres not a whole lot you can do with an fps game. traveling around doesnt bother me, its always kinda intresting. and when your light on your gps starts blinking and you now have enough diamonds to buy the flame thrower its kinda worth it. actually ive done very few of the missions just because ive been out treasure hunting and scouting out checkpoints (by scouting out i mean kill everyone there and hork their stuff). also every time i unlock a new weapon theres a new way to get past the checkpoints. when i started it was park the truck and use the machine gun, which got replaced with the sniper rifle, then the grenade launcher got kinda fun. now i just burn them down. just passing through, i find its easyer just to grenade the vehicles and drive on through.

i wish some of the wildlife was more aggressive though. i doubt a water buffalo would let you walk up to it with a machete and slash it a few times. and i think it would have been kinda cool if there were hippos and gators and lions thrown in just to give you a bad day. i also wished you could use your pistol whilst driving sorta like in interstate 76, that woulda been kinda cool. but still whatever attracts me to this game, its happened. i havent been this intrested in an fps since i got prey.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 02:17:23 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Roanoke

The Riddik games weren't an attempt to recreate the films  ;)

I hate infi-spawning enemies too. It's such a cheap trick. Not like I have infinite ammo or health is it ?
Plus you get weird events like an empty room suddenly becoming full of hostiles.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i liked the riddiik movies but never tried he games. my experience is that movie/tv franchise games usually suck. might see if theres a demo or something.

i really like to see fps games try new tricks. like prey's gravity effects i thought were pretty cool. i could excuse the fact that the missions sucked, i mean how often do you see a complicated mission in an fps game? its usually kill this blow up that, flip this switch grab that key. when it comes right down to it theres not a whole lot you can do with an fps game. traveling around doesnt bother me, its always kinda intresting. and when your light on your gps starts blinking and you now have enough diamonds to buy the flame thrower its kinda worth it. actually ive done very few of the missions just because ive been out treasure hunting and scouting out checkpoints (by scouting out i mean kill everyone there and hork their stuff). also every time i unlock a new weapon theres a new way to get past the checkpoints. when i started it was park the truck and use the machine gun, which got replaced with the sniper rifle, then the grenade launcher got kinda fun. now i just burn them down. just passing through, i find its easyer just to grenade the vehicles and drive on through.

i wish some of the wildlife was more aggressive though. i doubt a water buffalo would let you walk up to it with a machete and slash it a few times. and i think it would have been kinda cool if there were hippos and gators and lions thrown in just to give you a bad day. i also wished you could use your pistol whilst driving sorta like in interstate 76, that woulda been kinda cool. but still whatever attracts me to this game, its happened. i havent been this intrested in an fps since i got prey.

Riddick was...superb.

It was the exception to the movie-games-suck rule.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Weren't the Riddick movies based on novels?  :confused:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Weren't the Riddick movies based on novels?  :confused:

Don't think so.

Offline Vidmaster

No, they are not.  :)

I agree in general, but Riddick was a game that really left me wanting more by the time I was finished. It's probably one of the shortest FPS games I have played, which is all the more noticeable because of how much depth and variety the game had.

Okayokay, right. BUT a good game always leaves you wanting more, even with a satisfying end.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, they are not.  :)

Okayokay, right. BUT a good game always leaves you wanting more, even with a satisfying end.

Y'know, I don't recall the Riddick game being particularly short compared to most FPS games these days. There were a large number of plot twists and even a satisfying ending sequence. How many hours did you get out of it?

Offline Vidmaster

I got 7. But on the other hand, I am good and was already used to FPS melee combat (Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah) and FPS stealth (Thief). But it's still one of my favorite games of all time. And I can replay it...        ...and replay it...      ...and replay it...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Riddick made sneaking up on a foe and dispatching them with a screwdriver more appealing then using a firearm.  :cool: Hopefully the Assault on Dark Athena sequel holds up to Butcher's Bay
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Vidmaster

haven't you seen the Developer Walkthroughs on Gametrailers? Sure it will!
(although the guy playing is outright bad, desperately trying to do something that fits the commentary, ruining the game's pace at the same time).

Anyway, back to FarCry2. How's the multiplayer?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i havent really tried it, and probibly couldnt untill i fix the cd drive, i dont think the nocd will fly on multi
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It might. I know some of the EA games actually do work online with cracks, as long as you have a valid CD key.

You can always get it off steam. And the Steam version has no DRM crap.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

I don't know what the situation is with this game, but most other Steam versions of Securom games keep the Securom, in addition to Steam. Apparently the publishers think one DRM system is not enough. :rolleyes:

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

I don't know what the situation is with this game, but most other Steam versions of Securom games keep the Securom, in addition to Steam. Apparently the publishers think one DRM system is not enough. :rolleyes:

Well, I've heard that there is a :arrr: version of Steam, so they're not exactly wrong to think that it isn't enough.

Just sayin'.

True, though I've noticed significantly less issues with Steam games than retail-CD ones.

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
far cry 2, where to start:

1. it's a self-defeating game one way or the other.

2. no big boss at the end.

3. the long search for diamond cases which does not compensate later on in the game.

4. the game is vastly overrated.

5. constant respawning of guards at the guard posts that you cleared out just a few seconds before, when out of range.

6. the side missions are not worth your time.

7. finding buddies for mission related side missions are not worth your time.

8. the golden ak47 is overrated.

9. nothing comes of the jackal tapes.

i could go on and on about this game, in my opinion it is not worth buying.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.