Author Topic: Games that still surprise  (Read 8584 times)

Offline Roanoke

Games that still surprise
Isn't it cool when games can still throw up the odd surprise, even after years and countless play throughs. Like Halo, I always pick-up on Marine & Covenant random dialogue I could swear I'd not heard before.

It's Deus Ex that inspired this thread, though. I usually play either as a total pasacifist or a total lunatic who kills everything he sees. Hostages especially.
So, I executed the liberty island terrorist leader and in comes the UNATCO trooper. I decided I should have his assault rifle which he's pleased to hand over after a spot of "blue on blue". No witness' and no mention of it so I've got away with it. Untill the Manderley debrief, where JC is told there will be an investigation!

Especially funny is JC basically lying, suggesting friendly fire!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Re: Games that still surprise
I'm still finding new controls in FS...
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'd second Halo.

System Shock 2 as well.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Yeah, Deus Ex is the king. Awesome game, awesome concept. A decade ahead of it's time and to my surprise, still not the standart for shooters. No, we still play the super-linear ones. Imagine a Call of Duty 4 with nolinear elements  :eek2:

Republic Commando is always surprising me, like Halo, there are so many lines for your fellow soliders, you will always hear some new ones.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Republic Commando is always surprising me, like Halo, there are so many lines for your fellow soliders, you will always hear some new ones.
Easily my all-time favorite game. I was devastated when I lost my CDs. :(

Offline Vidmaster

still playing this (singleplayer-) game in regular intervalls, although multiplayer sucks.
Why don't you rebuy it, it's cheap and certainly worth it.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
hell yeah deux ex!, I hate to have lost that cd, I loved the hell's kitchen part :D
el hombre vicio...

I keep thinking about coming back to Deus Ex, there's a couple of (IMO) impressive mods out there too that I haven't finished yet (Redsun 2020 and Deus Ex Zodiac - no speech in those though).

Heh, I would screw around and throw stuff at Manderley's head. I'm gonna try stacking up some soda cans on it.

Oh, and maybe I should let Anna live this time.

Offline Roanoke

You have to kill Anna, though not necessarily at the subway station. Let her kill you to trigger something a little different.

I'm trying to find away past the 2nd trip to Hell's kitchen, when Paul's killswitch has been activated, without betraying UNATCO. Thought I had done it when I went back to him without sending the distress signal and triggered a significant conversation (cut scene style, talking about going seperate ways etc) but then it went nowhere and seemed to revert back with Paul asking me to send the signal....?

You have to kill Anna, though not necessarily at the subway station. Let her kill you to trigger something a little different.

I did it in the 747.

I've managed to keep Paul alive several times but I'm not sure what triggers that. I once managed to clear the hallway of troops and he'd walk out there with me and say something about Jock picking him up in Battery Park (or something like that), but the lobby was saturated with troops. The prison cell bit that follows is awesome and it was scary for the first few moments (I think it was the music and that "where the heck am I?" feeling). Definitely one of the best bits in any game I've played.

Watching combat between your troops and NSF guys can sometimes be quite funny.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:29:16 pm by lostllama »

SSBB is still fun.

The way I play games is i'll be obsessed for like a month, then i'll play something else, then pick it up again about a year later.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

I have a similar gaming habit. It's the same with novels and books, sometimes I'll be reading a couple and leave them for a while and come back to them months or over a year later.

Offline Roanoke

I did it in the 747.

I've managed to keep Paul alive several times but I'm not sure what triggers that. I once managed to clear the hallway of troops and he'd walk out there with me and say something about Jock picking him up in Battery Park (or something like that), but the lobby was saturated with troops. The prison cell bit that follows is awesome and it was scary for the first few moments (I think it was the music and that "where the heck am I?" feeling). Definitely one of the best bits in any game I've played.

Watching combat between your troops and NSF guys can sometimes be quite funny.

IIRC wether paul lives or dies depends if you exit via the window or through the front door of the 'ton ie; either abandon or help him.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Final Fantasy VI (III US).

After playing FF VIII, I started playing VI on my SNES emulator. I wasn't expecting such a deep, long and complex game. No rendered FMVs, no 3d anywhere, just some pixels that are supposed to be the characters.

Still, it might be the best Final Fantasy EVER. At least on par with VII imho.
The character design/development is awesome and there are so many characters.

And the best, I thought I was fighting the final boss, and I (somewhat) lost the battle, the world ends and I noticed that I just completed the first half of the game. Wow!

Same applies to Chrono Trigger (which I'll buy again for my DS in a few days).
Time travel rocks!

It's kinda sad there are almost no games today, that have an equally deep storyline.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:06:42 pm by DaBrain »
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Holy crap, I found a great example of this! Go to YouTube and check out 'Halo 3 Mythbusters'.

That is a pretty darn comprehensive physics engine.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Isn't it cool when games can still throw up the odd surprise, even after years and countless play throughs. Like Halo, I always pick-up on Marine & Covenant random dialogue I could swear I'd not heard before.

It's Deus Ex that inspired this thread, though. I usually play either as a total pasacifist or a total lunatic who kills everything he sees. Hostages especially.

Yes, Deus Ex is the classic example of an FPS like this.

My impression is that Fallout 3 seems to be another such game. I am currently playing it and there is a lot of nonlinearity and scope for doing things differently. The only problem is that I no longer have time to fully explore everything in a game, like I used to when Deus Ex came out. :(

It's actually possible to leave her alive, although you have to take advantage of a glitch. I don't think the game takes the possibility into account.

I keep thinking about coming back to Deus Ex, there's a couple of (IMO) impressive mods out there too that I haven't finished yet (Redsun 2020 and Deus Ex Zodiac - no speech in those though).

Heh, I would screw around and throw stuff at Manderley's head. I'm gonna try stacking up some soda cans on it.

I got very close to the end of Zodiac, but got stuck near the end and never finished it. The levels in that campaign are massive and feel quite open ended, even more so than the original Deus Ex ones.

I played through Deus Ex around 10 times several years ago, but I must have spent even more time just screwing around in it. I still have the 20 or so savegames I made of various ridiculous situations. :D

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
the only one that come to mind is fs2 "dive dive dive, hit your burners pilot!" it still surprised me even by today.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
the only one that come to mind is fs2 "dive dive dive, hit your burners pilot!" it still surprised me even by today.

I was wearing headphones the first time I went through that mission.

You can still see the dent that my head made in the ceiling.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I suppose I should point out that as a result of some SCP changes I made a couple of years ago some of the previously unused FS2 dialogue is now used.

Funnily enough no one has mentioned this leading me to believe that either everyone is either really unobservant or that they really believe that they've heard it before. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

show me where!  :)

Another game, Riddick. I just need to replay the tutorial level, the awesome Prison Break Music kicks in and I am surprised how awesome it is. Still. After all these replays. Still awesome! Satisfying is the best word for it.
Can't wait for that sequel. Same holds true for the opening levels of Half-Life 2 and Nexus: Jupiter Incident. I can play these games on and on and on. One last example: Lugaru. Play it. Worship David Rosen. Brilliant guy.

IIRC wether paul lives or dies depends if you exit via the window or through the front door of the 'ton ie; either abandon or help him.

that may help you a bit:
http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/deusex/deusex.htm
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:34:32 am by Vidmaster »