Author Topic: Games that still surprise  (Read 8537 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Games that still surprise
I do have AF. I've dabbled with it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Battlecruiser Millenium.

There's a huge universe to explore, fight, always something new to do or in some new way. (I've more-or-less mastered air-raiding a planetary base at this point, I fear.)

But more than that, there's always something new to glitch, and this is at least half the fun. The only other game that I own that even comes close to being as fun to screw around with and try to play wrong is Outpost, and BC:M is vastly better for this sort of thing. I could write a hundred pages on how to reproduce and benefit from BC:M's bugs if I wanted to, but I don't. About the only thing that still eludes me is getting the game to fire pulsed laser beams out of the monitor.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
thats not a game, that's a lame  :)  no wonder it's free now. This game as the worst controls I've ever seen.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Roanoke

....And for me Deus Ex would never be the same(not hilarious) after i discovered the anti walkthrough. http://www.it-he.org/

oh god I forgot all about that stuff.  :lol:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Battlecruiser Millenium.

There's a huge universe to explore, fight, always something new to do or in some new way. (I've more-or-less mastered air-raiding a planetary base at this point, I fear.)

But more than that, there's always something new to glitch, and this is at least half the fun. The only other game that I own that even comes close to being as fun to screw around with and try to play wrong is Outpost, and BC:M is vastly better for this sort of thing. I could write a hundred pages on how to reproduce and benefit from BC:M's bugs if I wanted to, but I don't. About the only thing that still eludes me is getting the game to fire pulsed laser beams out of the monitor.

Wait, Derek Smart's game?
He actually made something that's playable?

Isn't he this forums public enemy n01?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Baldures Gate 2...

Had the most sinister, evil, saddening villain ever in John Irenicus. He was really the guy who proved that bad guys are not always dumb idiots with a lot of power. Him and Jack of Blades from Fable are likely my two top bad guys.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm currently being surprised by the ever-increasing fact that I'm getting completely sucked into a game of the RPG sort, a genre that I've generally avoided like the plague for most of my life.  Said RPG would be the DS port of Chrono Trigger.  Very fun stuff.

If you ever get Allied Force, feel free to contact me about it any time.

Thanks. I'm torn between playing FSO, LOMAC and Flight Simulator X at the moment. LOMAC has enough key commands for me. I assume AF has loads more, but you've got me interested anyway.

I've never played anything on multiplayer before. Sounds like I'm missing out on some fun.

And for me Deus Ex would never be the same(not hilarious) after i discovered the anti walkthrough. http://www.it-he.org/

I need to try that some time.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
KotOR I & II. Even after playing them once, going through them again, I find new things.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Vidmaster

Hades, then take a look at BGII.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hades, then take a look at BGII.

I passed the game 14 times.
And I hear DA will have a even greater replay value..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Harpoon Classic, partly because of the randomizer, and partly because, again, the computer is not stupid and will not hesitate to remind you of this. I've played the "Fortress Keflvik" scenario from the original GIUK battleset many times, it's one of my favorites (something about coordinated airstrikes by 20+ P3s amuses me), but I still can't reliably save the poor Fife from that Victor 3.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Harpoon Classic, partly because of the randomizer, and partly because, again, the computer is not stupid and will not hesitate to remind you of this. I've played the "Fortress Keflvik" scenario from the original GIUK battleset many times, it's one of my favorites (something about coordinated airstrikes by 20+ P3s amuses me), but I still can't reliably save the poor Fife from that Victor 3.

I love Harpoon Classic.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I found a new bit of dialogue the last time I played FreeSpace 2. It was Command harping on about how many fighters lost to the NTCv Danton.

Shortly after, I confirmed the final secret of Tyrian 2000: that there is a one in six chance that, every time you complete Episode 5, you ship will be turned into a carrot and have all guns replaced with banana guns.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Roanoke

Hey I discovered how to save Jock from the bomb planted by the "odd mechanic"  :)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Total Anhillation. Because it runs on Vista without fuss, but kicks up a major fuss on my old XP. :p

No, seriously, I found a big bunch of mods for it. Not to mention new units.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Hey I discovered how to save Jock from the bomb planted by the "odd mechanic"  :)
What?! How!?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Total Anhillation. Because it runs on Vista without fuss, but kicks up a major fuss on my old XP. :p

No, seriously, I found a big bunch of mods for it. Not to mention new units.

Are you refering to the whole TA series? I'm a die hard fan of Total Annihilation: Kingdoms and I'm desperately looking for mods. I had so many of them but the fact that all of the three computers I've been playing TA:K died more than once in the past 5-6 years removed all mods.

The last time I looked for mods, a few months ago, I couldn't find any of them. Can you point me out to a good site?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Vidmaster

I passed the game 14 times.

my God (which is the FSM of course), who old are you know? 128?

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
What?! How!?

Spoiler:
knock-out (DON'T KILL) the mechanic, then talk to the Illuminati guy.