Author Topic: Star Craft(sic) Design characteristics  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Star Craft(sic) Design characteristics
Based on one of the posts below, I had an Idea for a thread about design characteristics for Space craft, not some flying brick that has to reenter a planets atmosphere.

1. Any shape is good, but simpler is better.
2. Projections(wings and such) are okay as they allow any nav thrusters a better postion to apply force to move the craft.
3. Basic Geometric shapes make for boring ship design
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
|>|-|34/2 my tetrahedron!! :D:D

Some FS ships look like they might be atmosphere-capable, but the only ones that we can be certain of are the transports (picking up/deploying ground troops) and gas miners (specifically stated). None of those really have very aerodynamic shapes though, so I don't really know...

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
The seth is ablr to fly in atmosphere, you see one escaping from a Vasudan city destroyed by the Lucifer, in FS1.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
And the gas miners probably operate on the high atmosphere of low-gravity gas giants, they don't really look like they could stand that much of a gravity pull...
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Styxx
And the gas miners probably operate on the high atmosphere of low-gravity gas giants, they don't really look like they could stand that much of a gravity pull...

They are about as streamlined as brick, basically.

I'm amazed they can stand any gravity.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Forget streamlined, they're as solid as a Microsoft OS. The little pointy bits? The tiny rotation points?

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
|>|-|34/2 my tetrahedron!!

ROTFLMAO. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:mad: leetspeak...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
:mad: leetspeak...

very inaccurate l337 speak
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That is not 1337 sp34k; it is 5|_||>4/21347 5|>33|< !! (suparleat speek / super-elite speak) Far superior to standard 1337 sp34k ! ;7;7:D

Offline adwight

• Neo-Terran
  • Go Gators!
The only *really* atmospheric capable ship that is aerodynamic is the Perseus.  That is the only really one I can think of....
Neo-Terra Victorious

The Lightning Marshall

158th Banshee Squadron

Gay people are rejects who can't get girls. Period. -DragonClaw
Can I have sex with it yet? -KnightTemplar

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Keep in mind dual-medium craft are notoriously bad in term of their performance in one or both mediums they were designed for.

The Perseus 'wings' apply to #2 & 3 above.  They serve to lower propellant costs in an effort to increase range.  Plus they just look cool.  But atmospheric, I don't think so.  It'd be nice to hear from :V: on this.  But as best as I can tell the 'wings' have no airfoil in their shape.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.