Author Topic: TOS Battlestar Galactica  (Read 19501 times)

Offline Anf23

• Proud to be a knuckle dragger
TOS Battlestar Galactica
In the finale you can see an old style Battlestar in the Museum, just behind the old basestar when the camera pans over the raptors. about 20 minutes in i think.

Since its now canon, any chance you could throw in an old style Battlestar in one of the later releases?? ive always loved the oldie :)

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
TOS Battlestar Galactica
If you dress up in robes, then maybe they'll consider it.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Narvi

TOS Battlestar Galactica
Old-style battlestar? Like Galactica, you mean?

TOS Battlestar Galactica
Like the original series Galactica.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
TOS Battlestar Galactica
I don't think Diaspora would include an original series Galactica in the main campaign. They may create it for one of the last releases as "alternate" version players could use thanks to a .tbm or something. That would work only if the old and the new battlestars have the same turret and subsystem configurations.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
TOS Battlestar Galactica
My guess is that those Battlestars are one of the models the colonials started the war with. Having them appear in a first-cylon-war-era campaign would be neat, but that's wayyyy off into the future, I guess.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Snagger

TOS Battlestar Galactica
I don't think Diaspora would include an original series Galactica in the main campaign. They may create it for one of the last releases as "alternate" version players could use thanks to a .tbm or something. That would work only if the old and the new battlestars have the same turret and subsystem configurations.
Why?  Basestars don't have the same turret and subsystem config as a Battlestar, and the Pegasus, Galactica, Bolitho and other Battlestar that the devs are making will have different systems.  Surely the TOS Battlestar would be a completely new model with its own command coding, just lke all the other craft in the game, and so would not have to be restricted in the way to suggest?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Diaspora Fan Wishlist
It would be. I haven't got the faintest clue what Mobius is on about.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
TOS Battlestar Galactica
Why?  Basestars don't have the same turret and subsystem config as a Battlestar, and the Pegasus, Galactica, Bolitho and other Battlestar that the devs are making will have different systems.  Surely the TOS Battlestar would be a completely new model with its own command coding, just lke all the other craft in the game, and so would not have to be restricted in the way to suggest?

Basestars? I was talking about the Galactica seen in 1978 compared to the one seen in 2003+.

My guess is that those Battlestars are one of the models the colonials started the war with. Having them appear in a first-cylon-war-era campaign would be neat, but that's wayyyy off into the future, I guess.

The Reimagined series' Galactica took part in that war so I doubt there'd be more primitive Battlestar versions with it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
TOS Battlestar Galactica
The Reimagined series' Galactica took part in that war so I doubt there'd be more primitive Battlestar versions with it.

That's why I said "one of the models". I do believe that there was a model of Battlestar before the Columbia-Class(?), and why not make it look like the old-style Galactica? Or maybe it fulfilled a different tactical role? The colonials don't seem to be in the habit of throwing away working hardware, and I would expect the pre-first war fleet to be made up of more than just one class of ship. In a way, maybe these ships are to the reimagined Galactica what the Galactica was to the Pegasus?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Y'know, I think back in the miniseries Doral said that Galactica was one of the twelve original battlestars built to represent the 12 Colonies.

So I think we can nix the idea of earlier battlestar designs.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Yeah, Doral said that. The Galactica represented Caprica.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
*Applies forehead dramatically to desk* Damn. I fail at remembering. What about this, then: During the war, I assume that the colonials didn't stop at building 12 Battlestars, and since the old-style Galactica seems to be a simpler design when compared to the Columbia (no retractable pods, for one), it is probably faster to build. Less capable, maybe, but still capable enough to get a wing of fighters where they need to be.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Why not stop at 12?

They had combat capable cap ships besides Battlestars, and the Cylons didn't have 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Baseships which could PWN Colonial ships.

If Galactica could hold its own against Baseships in BSG, imagine how it handled ones from half a century before.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Why not stop at 12?

They had combat capable cap ships besides Battlestars, and the Cylons didn't have 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Baseships which could PWN Colonial ships.

If Galactica could hold its own against Baseships in BSG, imagine how it handled ones from half a century before.

Columbia didn't exactly eat up the opposition.

And, y'know, Galactica never could hold its own against modern-day base ships for more than a few minutes.

Offline Snagger

Basestars? I was talking about the Galactica seen in 1978 compared to the one seen in 2003+.

Firstly, you came up with a bizzare arguement that the devs couldn't have TOS and TNS style Galacticas in the game because of the different turrets and subsystems.  My point was quite clear in stating that since Basestars dont't share the same turrets and subsystems as the Galactica model, and nor do the Pegasus, Valk or other ships in the game, and that each has its own coding setup, then there is no technical reason that  TOS Galactica couldn't be included.  Why you continue to argue is a mystery, given Kajorma's answer on the matter.

As for other models of Battlestars being in the TNS original war, why are you so sure there was only one model?  Why are you so sure there were only 12 Battlestars, too?  Just becoase one Battlestar was chosen to represent each colony, it doesn't follow that there were only twelve ships, and there has been nothing to suggest that they were all of the same class, just like there are several different classes of ships in any navy.  If there was a model of TNS Battlestar, that can be taken as conon that such Battlestars served alongside Galactica and Columbia during the Cylon War.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

And, y'know, Galactica never could hold its own against modern-day base ships for more than a few minutes.
Yeah, but that only applies to the Galactica in the series, meaning in an environment where she can't get into a dockyard for repairs, is partially disarmored and (maybe) has to operate without the full load of ammunition she carried during the first war (not to mention, being 50 years old and being subject to material fatigue). That said, since the cylons built their basestars to take on the colonials best, it wouldn't surprise me if even under optimum conditions Galactica didn't stand a chance against a modern Basestar.

Offline Snagger

Why not stop at 12?

Because when you're fighting for the survival of your race, you don't do it with the minimum resources available to you - you make as many weapons as you can and you put everything your society can muster into the fight.  While the Cylons may not have had millions of Basestars, they certainly had dozens, and while any were serviceable, you want to outnumber and outgun them significantly, given the results if you  lost.

Not senior brass material, are you?  You do strike me as being suitable for politics though, with that lack of basic grasp on reality.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:25:36 pm by Snagger »

Offline Snagger

Yeah, but that only applies to the Galactica in the series, meaning in an environment where she can't get into a dockyard for repairs, is partially disarmored and (maybe) has to operate without the full load of ammunition she carried during the first war (not to mention, being 50 years old and being subject to material fatigue). That said, since the cylons built their basestars to take on the colonials best, it wouldn't surprise me if even under optimum conditions Galactica didn't stand a chance against a modern Basestar.
In the mini series, Galactica had not been stipped of any armour.  It's an old argument that has repeatedly been put to bed.  Furthermore, as was previously posted, and quoted by you, the Columbia, of identical design and construction, was destroyed in a fight of four Battlestars to four Basestars, with no Basestars appearing in that scene to have been damaged, nevermind destroyed.  I got the impession all the way through the series, both TOS and TNS, that Basestars had always been more powerful than Battlestars, which is even more reason to try to outnumber them.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In the mini series, Galactica had not been stipped of any armour.  It's an old argument that has repeatedly been put to bed.  Furthermore, as was previously posted, and quoted by you, the Columbia, of identical design and construction, was destroyed in a fight of four Battlestars to four Basestars, with no Basestars appearing in that scene to have been damaged, nevermind destroyed.  I got the impession all the way through the series, both TOS and TNS, that Basestars had always been more powerful than Battlestars, which is even more reason to try to outnumber them.

First of all, since this is massively off-topic now, may I request a split?

Second, could I have link to an explanation for the not-disarmored thing? When watching the Flashback scenes in Razor, it seemed to me as if Columbia was more heavily armored, at least on her front, than Galactica. And, yeah, Basestars do seem to be that powerful.
Third: Snagger, calm down. It's April fools, and some script randomly messes with anyones posts. Try reloading the page.  Besides, how would Locutus fool with anyones posts, except his own? He is neither a Moderator nor an Admin.