Poll

If you were allowed to choose your assignment as captain of a Terran or Vasudan capital ship, what would you choose? Alternatively, which is your favorite?

GTVA Colossus
GTD Hecate
GTD Orion
GTCv Deimos
GTC Aeolus
GTC Leviathan
GTC Fenris
GVD Hatshepsut
GVD Typhon
GVCv Sobek
GVC Mentu
GVC Aten
GTI Hades

Author Topic: Favorite GTVA Capital Ship  (Read 27549 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Favorite GTVA Capital Ship
The only ships that I find that can actually stand their ground effectively against said single fighter is the Aeolus, Deimos, Sobek, and Hecate.

And anyone who decides to pick the Fenris or Aten is a looney. :P

But the Fenris is soooooooooo cute!

...what difficulty do you play on?
Me? Medium. But I only play it on Fastmod so beam ranges are six kilometers.

Try it on Insane. More ships will be capable against a single fighter, because they won't have as many handicaps placed on their weapons. The Leviathan, for instance, can be pretty nasty.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
People love underestimating the Fenris. The Fenris is actually a formidable foe with those two AAAfs. Even the Aten can smack you up a bit if you're not careful. You're just a coward playing on Very Easy on the time, like all the wimps in this thread. Minus redsniper. Coz he is a badass badasser. :arrr:

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Hatshepsut.  With only one weakness (it's forward blind spot) and the fact that they're almost never hostile, she's tough to beat.  Shame  :v: didn't put her to use more.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
...beam ranges are six kilometers.

Try it on Insane. More ships will be capable against a single fighter, because they won't have as many handicaps placed on their weapons. The Leviathan, for instance, can be pretty nasty.
Even on Medium AAA beams with that range and flak ranging from 1,050m to 3,150m makes combating the Leviathan a deathwish. And suprisingly with a FOF of 15 degrees blob turrets are still amazingly accurate.
The Aeolus and Deimos can single-handedly shred fighter / bomber wings with those variables.
This also seemed to bring out the Hecate's inner beast as well...since it seems to take out at least six ships at once per burst with all its AAA...

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
The Hecate has a very good defensive profile (unless you reach a blind spot).  Combining it with 6k AAAs is just scary.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Obviously i picked the Orion. If you have good fighter support the Orion can be the deadliest ship out there in the GTVA arsenal ! :D
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Hecate has a very good defensive profile (unless you reach a blind spot).  Combining it with 6k AAAs is just scary.
No, actually, it has a terrible defensive profile. The surface area is so huge there are places where the turrets simply cannot reach you.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
We used to do a multi mission back years ago (forget the name) where you had to take out a Hecate as part of the run. It was so easy to clean out a spot and just pound away it became a secondary goal. We gave it to the newest players.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.

I showed this image because it's a great plan of attack. I just hang out in front of the fen/levi and pull a hades maneuver (sitting there firing my lasers). If you don't pay attention to the blind spot, yes the fen/levi especially are deadly ships. Leviathens are deadly especially.

When you sit in the blind spot on any difficulty, non of the fen/levi's weapons are going to be able to hit you.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
No, actually, it has a terrible defensive profile. The surface area is so huge there are places where the turrets simply cannot reach you.
The second part of what nvsblmnc is true though, give it point defense with such long ranges and even the Hecate becomes more effective at anti-fighter / bomber defense --- there's almost no way you can get close enough without some weapon hitting you anymore, if you do you've already taken a heavy amount of damage.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I showed this image because it's a great plan of attack. I just hang out in front of the fen/levi and pull a hades maneuver (sitting there firing my lasers). If you don't pay attention to the blind spot, yes the fen/levi especially are deadly ships. Leviathens are deadly especially.

When you sit in the blind spot on any difficulty, non of the fen/levi's weapons are going to be able to hit you.

Unless the ship is maneuvering.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Unless the ship is maneuvering.
Scratch that, if it's even moving you're buggered.

Offline Vrets

It takes great courage to be a Fenris captain.

Captain: "Enemy Rakshasa in range. Fire the main gun."

/LTerslash comes to life with the sound of a gnat coughing

Ensign: "1% hull damage inflicted. We are now a sitting duck for the next fourty hours."

Captain: "Steady, ensign. Keep your eyes away from my escape pod!"

/Rakshasa begins powering its gatling SReds

Captain: "Remember! In phasing out its creaky Fenris arsenal through attrition, the GTVA only grows stronger!"

Ensign: "Sir...the fusion mortar just got-"

Captain: "Also, I have an escape pod!"

*sniff* That man is an inspiration to us all...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:27:21 pm by Vrets »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The Orff still has a place in my heart. :D

GVD Hatshepsut.

The first capital ship you see in-game in FreeSpace2.

It was love on sight  :yes:

And it has the best Mainhall ever  :D
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline DIO

Realistically, is there anyway for a ship designed like those in FS to radiate heat, as in without visible radiators??

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Depending on liberally applied doses of unobtanium and plot, yes, absolutely. They could have radiators that we just can't see, since they could be retracted into the hull prior to combat or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:49:38 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hmmmm.  Has anyone ever though of using heat buildup from equipment to power engines?  Those (?) could possibly be a form of radiator.  Think about it, the more you shoot, the faster you go.  Only downside (that I can see) is equipment lifespan.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hmmmm.  Has anyone ever though of using heat buildup from equipment to power engines?  Those (?) could possibly be a form of radiator.  Think about it, the more you shoot, the faster you go.  Only downside (that I can see) is equipment lifespan.

Conservation of energy dislikes this design, I think.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
David Brin. Sundiver. Not exactly a weapons system, but definitely usable. Downside is, you need LOTS of heat to produce enough energy to power a laser.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns