Poll

Do Frigate Class Warships have a place in the GTVA

Yes, Corvettes Drool!:drevil:
22 (50%)
No, Corvettes rool!!:snipe:
22 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: March 23, 2002, 03:34:01 am

Author Topic: Fraigate Class Warships  (Read 12658 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Fraigate Class Warships
Originally posted by _argv[-1]

That would imply that a destroyer couldn't jump in, get past the Colossus, and jump back out in 30 seconds. That's a lot of time, even for a destroyer. Also, if the destroyer's size makes it too large to get past the Colossus without colliding with it, it could always jump in on the other side of the Knossos.

Look at kings gambit (the missions with the mjolnirs). The orion takes a lot longer than 30 seconds to warp out even though it is in some serious crossfire and tries to warp out as quickly as possible.
 It seems likely that a destroyer takes longer than 30 seconds to recharge it's jump engines (at least after an interstellar jump) Even the cruisers and corvettes take longer than 30 seconds so maybe the Iceni was built specifically to avoid that problem.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Fraigate Class Warships
Originally posted by _argv[-1]

That would imply that a destroyer couldn't jump in, get past the Colossus, and jump back out in 30 seconds. That's a lot of time, even for a destroyer. Also, if the destroyer's size makes it too large to get past the Colossus without colliding with it, it could always jump in on the other side of the Knossos.

So why didnt the Iceni just jump in on the other side?
The Iceni, unlike a destroy, goes at 35m/s, only matched by a Mentu class, so it was obviously built to run.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Fraigate Class Warships
The Iceni was (probably) built for the ETAK project..... purpose designed to be able to slip through GTVa defences, and survive long enough to contact the Shivans.   Everything else in the rebellion was just a diversion - the Iceni was only built to run.

IMO :)

Fraigate Class Warships
Originally posted by beatspete

So why didnt the Iceni just jump in on the other side?
The Iceni, unlike a destroy, goes at 35m/s, only matched by a Mentu class, so it was obviously built to run.

I wouldn't know... I made a private little FS2 mod to make the game more interesting. Among other things, the speeds for everything bigger than a bomber have changed. Freighters and transports have a top speed of around 50 m/s, cruisers around 30-40 (except heavy cruisers, which are 10, since they are much heavier but have the same engine), corvettes around 20, destroyers around 10, and supercaps around 20 (because the supercaps have those HUGE engines).

These mods are pretty damn cool, though it might screw with some missions that make assumptions about relative ship speeds. (Why can't everyone just use cap-waypoint-speed?)