Author Topic: The one thing I didn't like about FS2 was how it handled the Sathanas  (Read 55466 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: The one thing I didn't like about FS2 was how it handled the Sathanas
In FS1, when you first start encountering the Shivans, there's less sense of hopelessness, and more of shock.  As you start getting the targeting, better weapons, and shields, that shock starts to wear off, replaced by a sense that victory is now attainable.  With capture of the Taranis, there's this feeling like you've turned a corner, and you'll soon be able to turn the tables and push the Shivans out.  Then comes the Lucifer.  From that point on, you can just feel the sense of hopelessness build, as the Shivans seem to be closing from all directions, with the unstoppable Lucifer leading the charge, showing up where no-one expects.  The loss of the Galatea and the fall of Vasuda Prime starts the snowballing of that sense, as everything is in shambles and Command seems to be scrambling to form a pretense of a defensive strategy.  Then, comes the Ancients find and a glimmer of hope, but with the clock ticking you get the real feeling of desperation, culminating in the final attack on the Lucifer on the final jump to Earth.  Quite the epic.

In FS2, there's the brief feeling of apprehension.  The last time the Shivans were encountered, they nearly exterminated the Human and Vasudan races, and the T-V Alliance managed to stop that threat by a finger-nail hold.  This quickly dissipates after "Lion at the Gate", when the Shivans are dealt with fairly quickly by GTVA fighters and warships.  After that, we're entering into Shivan space, so there's the feeling like we can do more than just hold them off, we can drive them back.  There's still the concern about what size of fleet the Shivans may be able to deploy so Command keeps the options of closing the node or evacuating Capella and sealing off the nodes out.  This is followed by an emotional roller coaster of "crap, what did we get ourselves into" and "whew... man, we really beat them off.  I guess we got what it takes after all".  Of course, once more Saths start to show up, its an obvious "OK, we're boned" attitude.  This is tempered by the knowledge that Command plans to block the Shivan expansion, by sealing the nodes, so we're back to the "if we can just hold on a little longer" situation.  Once the Bastion mission is successful, its a desperate race to get everyone out before the Shivans slaughter them all.  Throughout that, is the fear of the unknown, as to what the Shivans are doing with the Capellean sun.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
And then there's the end cutscene, which actually scared me a little. Basically like Oooooooooohhhh ****, this can't end well...
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
(references to missions that never happened, storylines that never really went anywhere)
'splain please? :confused:

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
The mission after you fly the Dragon, it's referenced in one of the briefings afterwards that you scanned a ship there that you didn't actually scan (the Demon I think). The Ancients storyline wasn't very... involving, the fact they recovered intel from the Ancients' felt thin to me.

Offline ThesaurusRex

• What good would that do? I need a drink.
As much as I enjoyed FS1 it did feel relatively dry when compared to FS2. The briefings in FS1 contained very little information that contributed to the understanding of the story. It took multiple replays to understand what was really going on; not because the game contained very subtle information but rather that information was obscure and had to be repeatedly consolidated while playing the game.

When I played FS2, I was immediately aware of the plot and the story of the game. FS2 was extremely saturated with information pertaining to the events occurring in game and to the past events that occurred between game. Just to get an idea of what I'm saying, I suggest that the contents of the tech rooms from each game be examined for information content, mainly the intelligence section.
My application asked me for 1000 words so I just drew them a picture.

Offline Mikes

As much as I enjoyed FS1 it did feel relatively dry when compared to FS2. The briefings in FS1 contained very little information that contributed to the understanding of the story.

Very much agreed on that part. Freespace 2 really was improving everything quite radically - not just graphics and tech wise, but especially story and mission design wise.
FS1 really only becomes great, when you see it in the context of Freespace 2... kinda like a prequel. It gives other bits and pieces including the quite nicely done "ballad of the ancients".

But as far as its own story and especially mission design go, FS1 is quite rudimentary... which as far as missions go might have something to do with the capabilities of PCs at the time as well.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, especially the Battle of Deneb, they could've made it a lot more "epic" by just aiming a little higher PC-wise, but then it wouldn't have appealed to as wide a fanbase, so it's a good trade-off.

And suddenly the thread veers off into blasphemy!  :hopping:

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Welcome to HLP.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Yeah, especially the Battle of Deneb, they could've made it a lot more "epic" by just aiming a little higher PC-wise, but then it wouldn't have appealed to as wide a fanbase, so it's a good trade-off.

Has anyone remade the Battle of Deneb yet? Sort of in the tradition of High Noon 2.0...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
(references to missions that never happened, storylines that never really went anywhere)
'splain please? :confused:

What Dilmah pointed out, and 'your investigation of the Lucifer in Antares', correct?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Has anyone remade the Battle of Deneb yet? Sort of in the tradition of High Noon 2.0...

Coincidentally that falls under my scope of operations. It's going in my brainstorm document. It'd be pretty interesting actually, having a fully fledged battle like that.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The mission after you fly the Dragon, it's referenced in one of the briefings afterwards that you scanned a ship there that you didn't actually scan (the Demon I think).
True.  But, to give :v: the benefit of the doubt, the Eva in sm2-06a was originally supposed to be the Lucifer.

The Ancients storyline wasn't very... involving, the fact they recovered intel from the Ancients' felt thin to me.
Yeah, I can see that.  Also to give :v: the benefit of the doubt, there were originally supposed to be "several missions" involving recovering that intel.  Although maybe Reaching the Zenith / Running the Gauntlet / Black Omega was the extent of it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I really agree with General Battuta on this one. The order in which you play the games is a really big factor in which you like best. Both are excellent, but I'll always like FS1 better (because I played it first).
I played and replayed FS1 for a few years before finally getting my hands on FS2, yet I decidedly prefer the latter. So meh. :p

or the equivalent SSLBeams that the FSPort developed
Small nitpick: the SSLBeams were created by Sesquipedalian for the Scroll of Atankharzim.  We were able to use them because Galemp and I were on both the Scroll and Port teams. :)
Ah, good to know. :)

Offline Mikes

I played and replayed FS1 for a few years before finally getting my hands on FS2, yet I decidedly prefer the latter. So meh. :p

Well i played FS1 first, then FS2 and never spent a moment to wonder which i liked best, i just loved them both lol.

Replaying FS1 just recently, made it kinda glaringly obvious how far mission design had progressed in FS2. ;)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, and they didn't have all the new sexps we have to play around with either.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
With the technology they had 10 years ago, it's a miracle we have any missions.

No arguments. No string variables. No beam freed by default.

:p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Replaying FS1 just recently, made it kinda glaringly obvious how far mission design had progressed in FS2. ;)

Most of the time, anyway. :) A few of the FS2 missions just felt poorly designed, IMO (I'm looking at you, Slaying Ravana).

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, :v: copped out on many occasions strategy-wise. Oh yeah, give Alpha 1 and the three other most incompetent pilots this new bomber and tell them to take down that destroyer that Pertrarch was complaining about. The Khenmu's gunnery control and have a few cups of tea as well, we won't be needing them. Argghhh...