Author Topic: Multiplayer Command System  (Read 2091 times)

Multiplayer Command System
I use to be a big multiplayer fan back durring PXO, and ever since I started playing, I always thought it would be nice to have some sort of command system. For example, lets say you Host a game late at night, nobodys online, and you need to goto the bathroom, instead of worrying if someone will join and then leave, you simply type in /away "BRB IN A SEC BATHROOM BREAK"
someone joins and says something, your computer auto responds BRB IN A SEC BATHROOM BREAK. And then to disable it you type in /-away

/{command name} enables the feature
/- {command name} disables the feature
/away /-away
/tables
/aijump

command type requests:
Away Message
Table disabler (Disables any tables, and resorts to tables in Root_FS2.vp)
AI auto jump (for team vs team, host only)

If you have any other command ideas, post em...

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Multiplayer Command System
that is a great idea   seriously
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Disabling tables simply isn't going to happen. The auto-reply might be possible though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
you simply type in /away "BRB IN A SEC BATHROOM BREAK"
Hmm.. maybe with a down-counting timer?
/away5 "BRB, CIGGIE"

And after 5 minutes the message changes to "GOT A STROKE, WAS ABDUCTED, PASSED OUT.." or something of sorts..

Disabling tables simply isn't going to happen. The auto-reply might be possible though.

K, it was just an after thought to the original discussion we had.

A version check would be nice, right now thats pointless because only 3.6.10 builds work with the new server, but when newer versions come out, it would be nice to be able to find out easliy if someones running an outdated build...... I personally think an auto ai force jump would be great... Expetually if online ever gets popular as before and tournaments are occuring.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
This was also a problem with tachyon, and I agree that an away status message would be
useful.

One cavat though... if another person joins in with player 1 (away) and player 2 (present)
and 2 and 3 start talking... wouldn't you get a constant "IM AWAY - BRB IN 5 TOASTERS!" every other line?

Might be something to think about, or at least put in some kind of limiter that says it can only appear once
in 5 mins or so for those type of messages. Otherwise it'd just become annoying.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

make it apear once per person, shows up for everyones first message

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Karajorma has already added in the ability to send messages to your teammates through the /f command I think, so if it's already checking for a /command, adding more might be easier now than if that hadn't been done.  The actual code for each command is still obviously going to be just as much as as before though.  Some of those are things that could be built into the IRC server side, just like regular IRC servers.  And normally for when you get back to the pc I think they use /back and not /-away, although I've never tried that with XChat.  Also, for a feature that's usually a boolean value, most people would be more accustomed to setting it via /{command} followed by a 1 or 0.  Scripting support would be nice on top of that, you could just /.{scriptname} and it would execute a script full of configuration commands, that way you could easily switch between common game configurations with a prewritten script filled with the necessary commands.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays