Author Topic: Looking for someone to do some simple glow maps  (Read 2928 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Looking for someone to do some simple glow maps
If you noticed in the Zathras thread I have the name plated Poseidon and Nova.  I'd like to add a glow (and maybe shine) map to at least the Poseidon.  Well actually it has one I just need it for the nameplate area.  Just looking for an effect like the Omega nameplate.  I'd do it myself but I don't have any good tools to do it with.  Once I have the template I can do the work to edit in the names. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Skullar

Re: Looking for someone to do some simple glow maps
I did the omega nameplates ( including glowmaps ), I suggest you compile a list with work to do.

Note : Omega nameplates worked coz you had 2 distinct texture maps of the outer fighterbay , one from starbord, the other from ( what is it called ?   :) ) If a ship is textured in another way ( texture map "shines through" from side ) one of the nameplates is inverted and you can only read one properly. This applies to Nova model.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Illuminated nameplates are very easily done in Photoshop. Just post your textures here and state your desired lighting effect.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Poseidon plate template

Basically I just need a glow map for the nameplate area.  I don't have photoshop or anything like that so it's a bit difficult for me to do myself.  Just whatever you think looks good.  Text is black so I can copy the template and do the text myself. 

I don't know if glowmaps will work for the Nova.  I cheated to get a nameplate to work on it.  After several failed attempts I finally succeeded by making a simple rectangle model, cloning it, rotating it 180 degrees, and adding both to the .pof.  I then made a copy of the ship texture for that area and cut a transparent hole in it leaving the new rectangle just behind the "window"   The nameplates themselves are separate subobjects so the name is correct on both sides.  I don't know if a glowmap would work in this case or not.  It might cause more problems then it's worth.  Even putting the grey border around the texture results in some draw issues.  Well there are some anyway but it's hard to see with the black border and matching textures.  Basically the sharp edge of the window draws funny at certain distances but then again so does ever other straight line like the all the gun barrels, etc so probably not much can be done about it. 

If you think the shine maps need a tweak as well for the changes then feel free. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Adding the omega-X to the list.  Will post a link to the template as soon as I tweak it a bit.  Found a link to an example:  http://archive.firstones.com/tp2b/earth_ocdx.html

Offline Skullar

I will see to getting ALL requests done.

I will look into Poseidon and Omega-X and prepare templates ( including glowmaps ) for Omega, Poseidon and Omega-X.

In addition, I will do the maps for all those who cannot handle a paint program.

WHAT DO YOU WANT ? I am taking orders.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk

Offline Skullar

Done. I made a complete nameplate template kit, covering Omega, Omega-X and Poseidon.

Sent you the email , fubar, use it and make something pretty with it, then show it off here again.

Offline Skullar

Fubar, did I send you the stuff yet ? I think I missed it... will do soon.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I pieced together the Nova glow and shine maps myself from what you sent me before I added the EA logo and the Poseidon ones.  So the only ones I think are still missing are the Omega-X glow and shine.  Will eventually need something done with the Warlock.  I got it working but my artwork leaves some room for improvement.  That and they get more difficult since they not only have names but numbers and the numbers aren't a simple font.    

Apparently I forgot to take a pic of the Nova or forgot to copy it but here's the Warlock.

They will be in the next Zathras release which I'll try to get out today.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:20:31 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."