Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 trailer  (Read 8871 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 trailer
It looks like the the KOTOR MMO is loosely based on the darkside ending of Kotor 1.

IIRC, the Jedi never left Coruscant.

No, I believe the lightside ending of KOTOR 1 is canonical. This is set several hundred (thousand?) years after KOTOR II.

The trailer says something like "300 years", and i can only assume that it means after the happenings from KOTOR 1.
I'm not very familiar with the EU of Star Wars ( except for the KOTOR games, both trilogy's of T. Zahn, the Boba Fett trilogy and a couple of other post ROTJ books ), i usually try to avoid anything EU ( because of the other post ROTJ books  :P ).

A while back i read something that the good ending is canon, but it wasn't important to me, since G. Lucas declared every book canon ( frak, what a mistake, imo ).

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
The light side ending of KoToR is the canon one, Bioware themselves comfirmed this when Kotor 2 came out and Obsidian also said that the light sided endings of the Kotor games are canon.

Impressive trailer, but i don't think thats ingame. Does the lead sith look like Malak and the others look like copies of Revan to anyone else?

Shame that this will be MMO, i want to know what happened to Revan! Since he seems to be one of the most favourite star wars characters, i read that somewhere in an official poll, because i know they made a figure of him.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Now if only I could get KoTOR to work again.  :hopping:
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'm still waiting for Bioware to admit the whole MMO thing was a big put on and its actually a traditional RPG :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Now if only I could get KoTOR to work again.  :hopping:

What's the problem?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Crashes every five minutes or so.  :ick:

Intel Core 2 Extreme 9650
2 Nvidia 9800GT graphics cards
4 GB of RAM (2x2)
Windows Vistax32
Yes, I am running it in Windows XP compatibility, and yes I updated to the latest drivers.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Eh, I just bust out the old X-Box.

I'm really confused as to the timeline here... I mean, it looks great, but so much of the stuff just seems odd.

I dig that there's a hint at a mandalorian non-bounty hunter class, but what the hell was with the charted system in the Tingle Arm on the map at the end?

Offline Mikes

It remains to be seen wether this "MMO" will actually be the long awaited "Bioware take on MMO design" or wether Bioware sold out and just made "yet another traditional MMO" with all the usual trappings and failings lol.

The Trailer is awesome, no question, but sadly it really doesn't tell us anything about the err... game heh ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:55:51 am by Mikes »

Really hope they aboid the same old 'grind, rinse, repeat'
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'm really confused as to the timeline here... I mean, it looks great, but so much of the stuff just seems odd.

I dig that there's a hint at a mandalorian non-bounty hunter class, but what the hell was with the charted system in the Tingle Arm on the map at the end?

If I recall correctly this whole war had to be written in because Lucas botched the time lines.  In ANH Obi Wan said the Jedi and the Republic had been around for a thousand generations which got cocked when in the Prequels they said the Republic had been round for 1000 years. Since the thousand years statement screwed over much of the expanded universe canon (KOTOR, The Hyperspace Wars) they worked in this new Sith War that forced the Republic into a reformation or some such in order to make both ANH and the Prequesl technically right.  I believe the MMO is going to be set in this period when the Sith had really kicked the Republic's ass.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Not precisely. The conflict you refer to was a milennium-long struggle that went on from 2000 years before the Battle of Yavin (your Death Star A-Splode) to 1000 years before the Battle of Yavin. This MMO is set roughly three hundred years after Knights of the Old Republic, where the "True Sith" who were allegedly in hiding have come to pwn the Republic's ass, though what makes these new (old?) Sith special remains to be seen.

So long as the developers avoid the narm and the unnecessary aesop morals, it has potential.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Not precisely. The conflict you refer to was a milennium-long struggle that went on from 2000 years before the Battle of Yavin (your Death Star A-Splode) to 1000 years before the Battle of Yavin. This MMO is set roughly three hundred years after Knights of the Old Republic, where the "True Sith" who were allegedly in hiding have come to pwn the Republic's ass, though what makes these new (old?) Sith special remains to be seen.

So long as the developers avoid the narm and the unnecessary aesop morals, it has potential.

Oops, well it is pretty FUMTU they needed to add a new bloody conflict into the chronology becuase they goofed the movies :D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Well, it's Star Wars. You gotta have a war in Star Wars. If the characters did nothing but trek, it would be called...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Star Gate?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
lol.

well it is pretty FUMTU they needed to add a new bloody conflict into the chronology becuase they goofed the movies

Having the Chronology in book form, there are about 1000 years with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING interesting happening in them (aside from Naboo being colonized.  Seriously.  That's it.).  Those thousand years coincide very nicely with the time this game is set in.

For the adding it where it wasn't before, if nothing covers those thousand years, they can explain it however they want, as long as it doesn't completely and utterly contradict established canon.  Since there ISN'T any canon there, it's safe to put a nice, new bloody war there.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's not that a don't condone more brutal conflict to be added to the verse, unless it involves YV, it's more the why they haded to add it.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'm fairly certain they didn't crock the movies in that respect.  Don't have the movie on hand right now, but I don't think he said the Republic has been around for a thousand years.  Maybe thousands, plural, or that there has been peace for a thousand years, possibly.  Even if he did say that, it's an unbelievably minor point, and unlikely to be the cause of the entire thousand year war that Lucas is throwing in there

"I will not let this Republic, which has stood for a thousand years, be split in two."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hmmm.  I do stand corrected on that point.  However, I still believe it to be either a) an unbelievably minor goof that wouldn't warrant or incite such blatant cover-up (the term escapes me at the moment) or b) hyper(?)bole.  Hypobole?