Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 trailer  (Read 8907 times)

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 trailer
"I will not let this Republic, which has stood for a thousand years, be split in two."
Was that from one of the movies?  Lucas is too arrogant to have one of the lines from one of his movies be known as a goof.  Of course, this means that in the opening of Episode III all those Venators taking on all those Recusants without any Acclamators or Deadnoughts for backup is officially canon.  Which is just re-frakking-tarded.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
that trailer is awesome! hard to believe the game will look like that.
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Preview for the game went up on Kotaku today. People are saying it's a lot more like a single-player RPG than they expected. Signs are good.

If only I would ever be able to play it. Monthly subscription fees are verboten.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
hard to believe the game will look like that.
It won't. The trailer is just another excellent piece from Blur Studios.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
hard to believe the game will look like that.
It won't. The trailer is just another excellent piece from Blur Studios.

Now if we just had two hours of that, I might be willing to forgive George Lucas for the prequels.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I'll only buy this if it has significant singleplayer options.

I wish game developers would look more into established EU.... but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'll only buy this if it has significant singleplayer options.
You missed this topic and the link within apparently.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=65718.0

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Another Year Another E3 trailer
They do make nice trailers

Too bad its a thrice cursed MMO. 

It's nice to see Stormtrooper proxies best Force wielders, even if I find the fact that "star destroyers" and "stormies" existing thousands of years before the main movies a little silly, apparently technological development in SW must be taught by the Adeptus Mechanicus. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

My money's on some sort of thousand-year dark age of some sort.

EDIT: MMMmmmmmm... that's good trailer.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:24:33 am by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Erm, that's full body armor of republic troops. One would imagine futuristic soldiers would have such to protect themselves. I'm sure they could've opted to armor that looks more like the one from Crysis. But honestly, I think this works better. :p The Sith ships do resemble Star Destroyers a bit as you only saw their silhouettes, but so what? They look ominous and different to republic ships. And we saw sith ships in KotOR already back in 2003.

You're pretty late to the party if you start complaining about slow technological development in the SW-verse now. You should've done that when the first KotOR came out back in 2003. :p

In all honesty, if humanity has gotten this far in relatively short time technology wise, I'm rather sure that  a few thousand years from now we have technology that makes SW look like kids toys.

GameTrailers said those soldiers were clones.  If true, that is a major ret-con since if clones were used as soldiers way back then Obi-Wan should not have been surprised about the army on Kamino.

And it looks like the TOR armor is very similar to Phase 2 Clone Trooper armor.

Has BioWare come up with nothing original at all for this?  It wouldn't surprise me though if Lucas was making them do things this way so he could have image association with the prequels.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Erm, that's full body armor of republic troops. One would imagine futuristic soldiers would have such to protect themselves. I'm sure they could've opted to armor that looks more like the one from Crysis. But honestly, I think this works better. :p The Sith ships do resemble Star Destroyers a bit as you only saw their silhouettes, but so what? They look ominous and different to republic ships. And we saw sith ships in KotOR already back in 2003.

You're pretty late to the party if you start complaining about slow technological development in the SW-verse now. You should've done that when the first KotOR came out back in 2003. :p

In all honesty, if humanity has gotten this far in relatively short time technology wise, I'm rather sure that  a few thousand years from now we have technology that makes SW look like kids toys.

I dunno I found KotOR to have a bit of an 'old' feel to it.  The Sith troops' armor definitely reminded me of stormies but it was wasn't stormtrooper armor.  The Ebon Hawk certainly reminded me of the Falcon but it still seemed like an older design.  The guys in that trailer look like RotS clones with slightly different helmets and cooler combat web gear.  Not to say they look bad, they look awesome tbh, but still something a bit more original might have been nice.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Something else to remember, the Republic stood for thousands of years.  One culture for longer than there's been any on this mudball, I would quite imagine that once they found a design that provided the requisite capabilities, they would keep it.  Image is powerful, and if you can present the same image for long enough, even if it's untrue, it still instills a level of comfort and respect.

Also, they were at the peak of technological development, more or less, Type 2s have more or less learned all there is to learn, from a practical stand point.  There will still be development, but it won't come in fits and starts like it does with us.  It will come in refinements of what there already is until it's unrecognizable from what it started as.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

The armor is a straight rip-off by BioWare of Phase Two Clone Trooper armor, which wasn't around until the Clone Wars and was the second generation of an armor that was partially designed by Jango Fett, a Mandalorian.

If this was standard back then, why didn't the GAR have this equipment for their soldiers as soon as the Clone Wars broke out?

Offline Demitri

They do make nice trailers
Yes. Yes they do :nod:
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
It's a bit disappointing the Sith have taken the Trade Federation land at random places and drive/walk to the city approach rather than the Darth Malak level the city from orbit approach.

I find the whole every bounty hunter is Boba Fett thing more annoying than the star destroyers or storm troopers. Why would you even bring a bounty hunter on an invasion?

That wasn't a bounty hunter, that was a Mandalorian, one of the toughest sons-of-*****es in the galaxy.  And that armor is typical Mandalorian armor, although I hope players will be able to customize the colors on it.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
No, it's a bounty hunter.

I find the whole every bounty hunter is Boba Fett thing more annoying than the star destroyers or storm troopers. Why would you even bring a bounty hunter on an invasion?
That's nothing. When the first trailer released, some reputable news source called her a "Female Boba Fett." Really. (though don't ask me to source that, it's been way too long)