Author Topic: Cylons, T-800's, Robocop, etc.com ;)  (Read 6575 times)

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Cylons, T-800's, Robocop, etc.com ;)
Well, i love the way the re-imagined Cylon Centurion looks. granted this is not something that will be seen in the game here, due to the basic fact, its not a FPS.

But, today, after viewing Terminator Salvation (its okay....not the best.....not the worst....) the whole skynet, computers, machines question does come to mind.
Was the cylon virus something very similar to skynet? Or will that be something in the new show 'Caprica'

Secondly, who would win in a fight...................... Centurion (Old or New), T-600, T-800, Robocop. My money is on the T-800 ;)

But while the Centurion is more chunky, I still think it looks better, sounds better, and its two hand guns/ hands, makes it look cooler ;)

So for all you Battlestar fans, and general sci-fi fans out there (and there are many of you) I would love to hear your views 

Or any other Sci-Fi Bot that deserves a mention, Borg, Alpha Omega, ETC
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Cylons, T-800's, Robocop, etc.com ;)
What Cylon virus? Do we know it was a virus?

Voting for the new-centurion. Most sensible design.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
100 bucks on the T-800

Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline Narvi

T-800.

That design can take a lot of damage.

Offline Cyker

One problem is that only the new Cylon and Robocop come with a gun 'built-in' so to speak.

Unless they are allowed to bring guns with them, the T's are gonna be rather disadvantaged ;)

Assuming they all get the same gun 'tho, I'm going for... Robocop!  :nervous:

Or if I'm allowed to pick my own... I pick Unicron! :D

Offline Narvi

Bullets bounce off the T-800. You're going to need anti-tank rifles to take that thing down. The dinky little anti-personnel guns Centurions carry aren't going to cut it.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Pah! Marvin out-lived them all, he's older than the universe! Although, he wouldn't fight, he's too depressed!

Otherwise the T-800!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mikes

Centurions were protrayed as sentient machines with the potential to become fully self-aware (as they eventually became) and make their own decisions and even be capable of creativity.
The T800 is more or less basically just a deterministically programmed extension of Skynets will. It does not have an own free will that transcends the will of its creators or (re-) programmers.

So as far as the T800 vs. Centurion comparisons go; de facto you would be putting a deterministic machine vs. a sentient being capable of free will, rational thought and longterm planning.

Another thing to take into account is how advanced the technology was in Battlestar Galactica. It's not a stretch to assume that whatever they were using as bullets was quite a bit more effective than whatever is being used in present or skynets day. Assuming that the T800 could stand up to whatever a Centurion is shooting with is merely speculation based on the assumption that a Centurions machine gun is merely as effective as present day machine guns.... it's a rather weak assumption in my humble opinion, just like the assumption that present day conventional guns would do more than cause a scratch on a Centurion. That episode where Galacticas regular sidearm rounds proved to be particularily ineffective when combating Centurions also comes to mind.

Thinking along these lines... the most amusing "pairing" would propably be "Caprica 6 vs. Skynet", or in other words: Would 6 be able to travel back in time and sleep with the top exec of the company building skynet and learn enough of the relevant code in the process to be able to devise a virus that simply shuts it down ? tee hee. :p
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:03:25 am by Mikes »

Offline Narvi

Centurions were protrayed as sentient machines with the potential to become fully self-aware (as they eventually became) and make their own decisions and even be capable of creativity.
The T800 is more or less basically just a deterministically programmed extension of Skynets will. It does not have an own free will that transcends the will of its creators or (re-) programmers.

So as far as the T800 vs. Centurion comparisons go; de facto you would be putting a deterministic machine vs. a sentient being capable of free will, rational thought and longterm planning.

Another thing to take into account is how advanced the technology was in Battlestar Galactica. It's not a stretch to assume that whatever they were using as bullets was quite a bit more effective than whatever is being used in present or skynets day. Assuming that the T800 could stand up to whatever a Centurion is shooting with is merely speculation based on the assumption that a Centurions machine gun is merely as effective as present day machine guns.... it's a rather weak assumption in my humble opinion, just like the assumption that present day conventional guns would do more than cause a scratch on a Centurion. That episode where Galacticas sidearms proved to be particularily ineffective when combating Centurions also comes to mind.

Whaaaat. Somebody didn't watch T2. Terminators are fully sentient/sapient; they just prefer to take the direct route.

Offline Mikes

Whaaaat. Somebody didn't watch T2. Terminators are fully sentient/sapient; they just prefer to take the direct route.

The point was: No true free will. T1000 did what he did because Skynet said so. The T800 was turned from killing machine into guardian because its "reprogrammer" said so. And yes i remember all the mushy "boy robot" scenes, but i don't really remember the T800 ever really showing an unambigious "proof" of escaping the trappings of its own programming. I.e. was it programmed to act the father figure or did it really assume the father figure out of its own "free will". Terminator was always playing with time travel and the related paradoxies while leaving a lot open to speculation and it really can be argued both ways. "Old Connor" after all knew exactly what "young Connor" would need because he is sending this "reprogrammed Guardian" to his own younger self heh.

Centurions on the other hand were eventually shown as taking off to found their own civilization and evolve on their own / explore the universe / or do whatever else that makes them happy. No ambiguity or doubt here.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:19:31 am by Mikes »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Watch the special edition.

T800 has a neural net capable of learning. Skynet switches the learning functions off when T800s leave the factory in order to prevent them thinking for themselves and deciding to overthrow Skynet. The entire change in T800s personality is actually due to a scene where they turn those functions back on, allowing T800 to think for itself.

That's almost exactly the same as the situation with the new centurions.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mikes

Guess i gotta watch the special edition.

There is still a fundamental reluctance to attribute intelligence or any kind of elaborate selfdirected/autonomous behavior to the T800 after seeing Arnold portraying them the way he did lol.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Its probably difficult to extrapolate considerin' the unquantifiable variables involved.  For example, Centurions have big clawed hands capable of disembowlin' Colonial Pilots.  Dependin' on the strength of the metals involved and the force a Centurion can put behind the swipe; against a T800 it could cut clean through the chest plate and internals or not even scratch the chrome finish.  Really there is to much we don't know about to make an accurate hypothesis.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline newman

I don't think they were meant to be compared...
Hear that? What's that bleeping sound? Oh, it's my geek-o-meter going off the scale as I approached this thread :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Jangiri

i'm going for the centurions because if I remember correctly the colonials needed explosive bullets to injure them beyond a dent. a t-800 just can't cope with that type of thing

Offline Mikes

I don't think they were meant to be compared...

... but since when did THAT ever stop anyone ?  :lol: ;7

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
i'm going for the centurions because if I remember correctly the colonials needed explosive bullets to injure them beyond a dent. a t-800 just can't cope with that type of thing

Dont forget though that a truck filled with petrol, (Terminator 1) when it explodes simly removes the skin off a T-800, it can still move pretty okay after that ;)

And centurions can be brought down by RPG's
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Mikes

Dont forget though that a truck filled with petrol, (Terminator 1) when it explodes simly removes the skin off a T-800, it can still move pretty okay after that ;)

And how did the T800 in Terminator 1 lose its legs ? Didn't seem too sturdy once (homemade even! lol) explosives are involved ;)

And would a Centurion be as outright braindead and crawl under whatever kind of metal press that was ? hehe

Offline Narvi

And how did the T800 in Terminator 1 lose its legs ? Didn't seem too sturdy once (homemade even! lol) explosives are involved ;)

And would a Centurion be as outright braindead and crawl under whatever kind of metal press that was ? hehe

It got the explosive shoved into its chassis. That's hardly homemade:rolleyes:

And you can't really blame the Terminator for attempting to finish its objectives at all costs despite the massive damage to its frame. It knew it was a do-or-die moment; fail, and there was no chance of success, since it  had lost both its mobility and ability to blend in.

Offline Jangiri

just to prematurely push this argument to the next level. cylons would maul skynet any day of the week. one basestar=dead planet. for crying out loud they can grow nukes!!!