Author Topic: Effects of blasting subsystems?  (Read 13188 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Effects of blasting subsystems?

Yeah... If your 19.5km superflagship can be destroyed by zapping a few sensor domes and crashing an A-Wing into the bridge, your design is inexcusably idiotic.

Well, from the same minds who designed death stars that could be taken down by a handful of fighters not once, but twice...
To be fair, the second Death Star would have been all-but-invulnerable had it been able to be completed.  Too bad the Emperor didn't count on an Ewok-assisted guerrilla squad being able to take out its only defensive measures and leave it open to said fighters. :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Still not nearly as retarded as the Trade Federation central command center being blown up ACCIDENTALLY by some nine year old.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I choose to believe that that was entirely R2s doing, with the wizkid being just along for the ride.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline darkdaej

• Wingmen: Useless buggers

Well, from the same minds who designed death stars that could be taken down by a handful of fighters not once, but twice...

Given that the 2nd Death Star was about only 70% complete (check star wars books), it is understable that the fighters  / Millenium Falcon were able to get to its core.  The flawed reactor core vent from the first design had been removed and once complete, the new Death Star WOULD have been indestructible.

Offline darkdaej

Too bad the Emperor didn't count on an Ewok-assisted guerrilla squad being able to take out its only defensive measures and leave it open to said fighters. :p

Luke Skywalker DID tell Palpatine: "Your overconfidence is your greatest flaw"

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
May the vasudans be with you....
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
To be fair, the second Death Star would have been all-but-invulnerable had it been able to be completed.  Too bad the Emperor didn't count on an Ewok-assisted guerrilla squad being able to take out its only defensive measures and leave it open to said fighters. :p

It's amazing, isn't it? Palpatine's a powerful Sith Lord, and yet he fails to read the fine print. :drevil:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Interesting, a few days ago I saw a star destroyer website, it said some ships had terratonne lasers. The harbinger is a megatonne. So that particular laser does the same damage as 1 000 000 habringers!! 100s of colossuses down the gurgler.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Interesting, a few days ago I saw a star destroyer website, it said some ships had terratonne lasers. The harbinger is a megatonne. So that particular laser does the same damage as 1 000 000 habringers!! 100s of colossuses down the gurgler.

Several things wrong with that.

Mainly, it's only the Death Star-level crap that gets that high. (Anybody who tries to tell you a Star Destroyer has anything better than kiloton-range main battery output is ignorant of Empire Strikes Back or lying.)

The Harbinger is five thousand megatons, for all practical purposes a single Harbinger is sufficent to wipe out life on a complete continent.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline darkdaej

The Harbinger is five thousand megatons, for all practical purposes a single Harbinger is sufficent to wipe out life on a complete continent.

all that with an explosion shockwave less than 1 km in diameter XD

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
*Cough* That's an explosion shockwave in vacuum. We do not know the effects it would have in an atmosphere.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I think it'll expand pretty quickly given the composition of the atmosphere. Earth has a substantial amount of oxygen, for instance.

Try doing it on a planet with lots of hydrogen. :drevil:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's not how shockwaves work. It's a compression effect, not combustion.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Not when firing at torpedoes (getting to weapon subsystem with Maxim before launching them really makes the run a piece of cake).
That's because they don't target the bombs with the weapons subsystem destroyed.

Offline darkdaej

That's not how shockwaves work. It's a compression effect, not combustion.

I'm aware of how nuclear explosions work, they are well explained in the Vault Dweller Survival Guide (the Fallout 1 manual :) - actually the description is quite scientific)
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_Dweller%27s_Survival_Guide#Nuclear_blast_effects

The displacement wave of a kiloton bomb would be of about 1km, and with increased power, the blast increases, which would also apply in space.  so while the yield of the harbinger is 5000Mt, its blast wave is compressed.  Thermal radiation (heat) increases parallel to the bomb's power, but the blast does not.  to quote the "Survivor's guide" I linked (again, the explanations are rather backed by scientific fact, its just an easy source of info XD )
"A 20 megaton bomb can cause potentially fatal third degree burns at a range of 40km, where the blast can do little more than break windows and cause superficial cuts. A convenient rule of thumb for estimating the short-term fatalities from all causes due to a nuclear attack is to count everyone inside the 5 psi blast overpressure contour around the hypocenter as a fatality

A 5000Mt bomb would annihilate a continent not because of the size of the explosion but the sheer magnitude of the thermal radiation and blast power, you'd crack the planet's crust on the impact site at that power level.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
To be fair, the second Death Star would have been all-but-invulnerable had it been able to be completed.  Too bad the Emperor didn't count on an Ewok-assisted guerrilla squad being able to take out its only defensive measures and leave it open to said fighters. :p

It's amazing, isn't it? Palpatine's a powerful Sith Lord, and yet he fails to read the fine print. :drevil:

His overconfidence is his weakness, remember?

I don't know how much weapon subsystem loss affects beams but it makes blobs almost always miss there target from my experience.
It also makes flak and those quick small laser blasts less accurate. Blobs are more for attacking capships that are slower than any fighter/bomber.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 03:26:28 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Blobs are for intercepting bombs. They don't do **** to capships. Even Flak does a better job.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
A 5000Mt bomb would annihilate a continent not because of the size of the explosion but the sheer magnitude of the thermal radiation and blast power, you'd crack the planet's crust on the impact site at that power level.
Only 116 grams of antimatter. :D
Not enough to make Earth go poof :P

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
Blobs are for intercepting bombs. They don't do **** to capships. Even Flak does a better job.

Well in FS1 they were more for caps. Those blobs were a threat to the Omega transports fleeing past the Anvil and the blob turrets were in the front of the Typhon, and capships used them to duke it out in FS1.
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Only 116 grams of antimatter. :D
Can you tell me how do you calculated it?
I'm intrested in such things.