Author Topic: Effects of blasting subsystems?  (Read 13200 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Effects of blasting subsystems?
Actually I've mentioned it since this following reply was posted:

A 5000Mt bomb would annihilate a continent not because of the size of the explosion but the sheer magnitude of the thermal radiation and blast power, you'd crack the planet's crust on the impact site at that power level.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
On CapShips:
Weapons = Turrets fire less accurately/less often
Communication = No sending messages/recieving orders
Navigation = No jumping (enabled via AIProfiles.tbl)
Sensors = Nothing
Engines = No moving
So if you destroy the comm or nav of the sathanas, it can't jump out, and you can destroy it? (if you can be bothered)
Only if you destroy navigation. Communications has nothing to do with warping out.

And even so I don't believe that option is turned on in AI profiles in the FS2 retail AI profile.
Who cares,if it was active in the AI profiles then taking out navigation would keep you from warping out while communications has nothing to do with warping out.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:38:53 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Exactly.

Comm never has, probably never will. Besides, it doesn't make sense to.
You need your Nav computer to know where you're going. You need your engines to get you there. You DON'T need to tell anyone you're doing it.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
On CapShips:
Weapons = Turrets fire less accurately/less often
Communication = No sending messages/recieving orders
Navigation = No jumping (enabled via AIProfiles.tbl)
Sensors = Nothing
Engines = No moving
So if you destroy the comm or nav of the sathanas, it can't jump out, and you can destroy it? (if you can be bothered)
Only if you destroy navigation. Communications has nothing to do with warping out.

And even so I don't believe that option is turned on in AI profiles in the FS2 retail AI profile.
Who cares,if it was active in the AI profiles then taking out navigation would keep you from warping out while communications has nothing to do with warping out.

Even so the original statement (Only if you destroy navigation. Communications has nothing to do with warping out) is incorrect in FS2 retail.

Chill.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
It was just a logical statement. I wasn't talking about ai profiles.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Your original statement was wrong too. Destroying the navigation subsystem of the Sathanas will not prevent it from warping out.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
0% Nav does not affect AI ships; they can still jump out without any Nav integrity. I don't know about 0% Comms, though.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Your original statement was wrong too. Destroying the navigation subsystem of the Sathanas will not prevent it from warping out.
In ai_profiles.tbl you can mod it so that navigation integrity governs ability to warp.

Offline darkdaej

• Wingmen: Useless buggers
In ai_profiles.tbl you can mod it so that navigation integrity governs ability to warp.

yeah, but we're talking about canon here.  modding ai_profiles certainly breaks that, as navigation is NOT indicative of your ability to jump out in retail FS1 or FS2, nor does it prevent any ship from warping out.  The only way is to disable all engines.

But I agree with you that it makes sense to restrict jumping to nav 30% and below, it just doesn't apply to retail

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Read the damn thread. I said that exact same thing when this correction of S-99 started.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah, not to mention the fact that Comms has nothing to do with jumping has been talked about already...

Also, if I recall correctly, the Nav thing was enabled by default in a certain version of FSO (probably by mistake).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Read the damn thread. I said that exact same thing when this correction of S-99 started.
I had lots of tabs open I didn't know which thread this was. This could be in General Discussion for all I know. :P

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Like i said, i made a logical statement. The only reason it wouldn't be logical is if navigation gets taken out and you can still jump wherever you want (ala bsg style), but you wouldn't know where you're going to pop out from.

SMBFD

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Like i said, i made a logical statement. The only reason it wouldn't be logical is if navigation gets taken out and you can still jump wherever you want (ala bsg style), but you wouldn't know where you're going to pop out from.

You do realize that in Freespace 2 you can, by default, jump just fine with your navigation disabled? That's the point we're trying to make.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Yeah i realize that, but people are talking about the game engine as well as a disabling subsystems theory of what we think should happen compared to how it happens in the game.

That's why i said taking out navigation should disable warping out when in contrast in the game it doesn't do that.

SMBFD

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
If this was a game like Freelancer, or even the X-Universe it could be used to make the ship's jumpdrive erratic and jump out in BFE. ;7

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
This conversation sounds very repetitive.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
This conversation sounds very repetitive.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
c-c-c-c-

THREADLOCK