Author Topic: Mine Wars... did someone say Descent 4?...  (Read 8469 times)

Mine Wars... did someone say Descent 4?...
http://www.minerwars.com/Index.aspx

This is shaping up to be one of my favorite games for this year. It also bring back great memories of the game that started it all. Descent.
(For those of you who don't remember the name "Freespace" was used to describe the first title in the series but also to differentiate from it. "Descent Freespace" it was called, to let the buyer know that it was from the team which made "Descent" but it was now on Freespace, rather than down in the tunnels where Descent was played first and foremost.

I think this game encapsulates the best things that Descent was all about. Not to mention that it looks absolutely great. I just found about this today and had to post this here, because of all people, you and me who have played descent will understand how cool this game is.

Anyone else up for some Asteroid ore mining and shooting ? (forgot the shooting part- heh)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:37:41 am by GT-Keravnos »
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Mine Wars... did someone say Descent 4?...
This is shaping up to be one of my favorite games for this year. It also bring back great memories of the game that started it all. Descent.
(For those of you who don't remember the name "Freespace" was used to describe the first title in the series but also to differentiate from it. "Descent Freespace" it was called, to let the buyer know that it was from the team which made "Descent" but it was now on Freespace, rather than down in the tunnels where Descent was played first and foremost.

[nitpick]That's not strctly true. Those were side benefits. The only reason it was called Descent Freespace was because there was a naming rights conflict with "Freespace", and the term freespace was the original name for Subspace. Case in point, it was called "Conflict: Freespace" in much of Europe.[/nitpick]

Carry on ;)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Title is "Miner Wars", not "Mine Wars". Also, it looks awesome.

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Gonna shunt this to Gaming, since it isn't strictly related to FS much at all.  Still awesome, though.  It's about damn time someone else took a crack at 6DOF; lord knows that those of us in the Descent community have been hard-starved for other members of the genre.

(It's always mining, isn't it? :p)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The trick is making 6DOF accessible to people without joysticks. If you want it to be successful these days, it needs to easily playable with either a console controller or mouse+KB.

It looks interesting, but I'll refrain from getting too excited until there's at least a demo.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Actually, I find it quite accessible using Mouselook and WASD, with MW up and down to slide vertically and Q and E for banking.

Anyway, this looks like it has potential... but from the first video writing/voice acting it looks like a REALLY BAD localization. They also need to do more with that big spaceship than just paint it red and bake an AO map on it. :doubt:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:27:04 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oh look, Greenpeace activists in space...

Game looks good, not 100% sold on the story, however.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This looks quite interesting. I don't really care about the story as long as they get the gameplay right. 6DOF FPSs are practically unheard of these days. I hope that the MMO multiplayer doesn't mean it is pay-per-month though.

I have always played the Descent games with keyboard only (as well as FS2, for that matter). You can certainly do well online with such a setup, as long as you have a decent keyboard that supports enough simultaneous keystrokes.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I have always played the Descent games with keyboard only (as well as FS2, for that matter). You can certainly do well online with such a setup, as long as you have a decent keyboard that supports enough simultaneous keystrokes.

Of course you can! But you have to admit, the learning curve is a lot steeper for playing Descent or Freespace with KB+Mouse than it is for playing, say, Counterstrike. Which makes it a tad less marketable.

OOPS, forgot the "r". If a moderator can take care of that, I would be grateful. Sorry about the mistake.  :sigh:
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR

Of course you can! But you have to admit, the learning curve is a lot steeper for playing Descent or Freespace with KB+Mouse than it is for playing, say, Counterstrike. Which makes it a tad less marketable.
I disagree....
It takes long to get good, but not too long to learn... at least for me. XD

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
OOPS, forgot the "r". If a moderator can take care of that, I would be grateful. Sorry about the mistake.  :sigh:

You can change it. Just go to the first post and click the modify button.

Also, lol @ "Space Peace Activists" ... but I have this horrible feeling the producers might actually view pacifists that way in real life...

Offline mxlm

Also, lol @ "Space Peace Activists" ... but I have this horrible feeling the producers might actually view pacifists that way in real life...

Just for you. Terry Goodkind makes everything better. For a certain value of better.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"peace militants"
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Lolwut

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Storyline is ****. Probably will not play.

I can't wait for this game :yes:. I hope this game will get me hooked just like TESOblivion.

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Storyline is ****. Probably will not play.
If you played Descent for the storyline, you were doing it wrong in the first place. :p

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I can't wait for this game :yes:. I hope this game will get me hooked just like TESOblivion.

There is so much wrong with this that I don't know where to begin. Therefore, I shall engage each issue at the same time by alternating words in a cascading sequence:

Your Your Your The You reply reply account Elder are was adds was Scrolls an made nothing made IV: advertising eight whatsoever roughly Oblivion whore. months to six is after the days an discussion, ago, abomination. the other and last than each post. your of emphatic your opinion. two This posts leads attempts me to to promote believe the that subject your in account question. was created solely for the purpose of advertising.

It kind of falls apart with the last, longer sentence. :/

When I first heard of this game, I kind of got a vaporware vibe.  It was just a hunch, so weak at the time that I'd have been unsurprised, had it been disproven, but the more Miner Wars gets advertised by forum post, the stronger that vibe becomes.  It doesn't help that the most recent trailer shows no noticeable progress from the first trailer.

Oh well....  This wouldn't be the first time a company has sustained itself for years on venture capital alone.