Author Topic: NuA-Wing  (Read 20532 times)

Heck, you could probably FRED a mission where the worse a ship is damaged, the ickier the textures.

That sounds like a great idea. I've always hated how most games don't have this feature. If I remember correctly, there was this Mechwarrior rip-off called Gnome that had numerous 'damaged' models that popped up whenever you shot your enemy enough times.

@Brandx: I've no idea how this game will turn out just from seeing the gameplay vids, but the idea of a one-hit kill sim game kinda scares me. Its bold, too bold if you ask me. The only thing I can think of to counter this is to make the ships exceedingly difficult to fly and stir, feature jamming systems or anything to make gameplay harder. 
One direct hit, a non-critical hit shouldn't kill you in one shot. I believe that's how they'll get around this...maybe.

Wow, I'm constantly amazed by how fast some of you guys can make models and texture them. :yes:

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Well, the best model of one-on-one fighter combat with minimal externalities we have is Slave 1 vs Obi-wan's Delta 7, and he definitely took more than a few hits, though there's no knowing whether the guns were doing full damage or were adjusted for greater rate of fire. By externalities I mean e.g. previous damage, especially hits to the shields, which would explain why many shielded craft appear to go down in one or two hits - we aren't seeing them go down until they've already been in combat a while. Even TIE fighters sometimes survive a hit, IIRC.

The A-wing length arguments are almost as old and beaten-to-death as the Executor and Eclipse arguments. I'm sure the team has considered the matter thoroughly.

As to Turambar's A-Wing, I am only familiar with this WIP, which does have a few accuracy issues, and looks comparatively rough around the edges. It's still a decent job, though.

I look forward to seeing the finished article, brandx0.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Well, the best model of one-on-one fighter combat with minimal externalities we have is Slave 1 vs Obi-wan's Delta 7, and he definitely took more than a few hits, though there's no knowing whether the guns were doing full damage or were adjusted for greater rate of fire.
FotG isn't prequel...

But yes I think Slave 1 was going for quantity over quality on the lasers. They were used to coax the target into missile range.

Also, I don't think most prequel era fighters had energy shields.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I agree with you, Alan. However, after posting that statement on the previous page, I did a small amount of research to determine if what I had stated held any validity. I'm aware of the close-up shots showing the pilot inside, which I assume is what the team is using to determine scale, but check this image out (it's real, from RotJ): http://www.theforce.net/SWTC/Pix/given/rb/mc04.jpg

I blame LucasFilm for causing these problems because they did cause them. Seldom does one find ANY coherent images/drawings/models or anything else from the Star Wars films due to innumerable reasons. Clearly, the close-up model and distance models were different in scale. However, I have to grant that the 9-point-something meter length is viable due to the image above. I give it additional credence due to the fact that the A-Wings can be approximated in size because of other ships in the vicinity that we actually have an agreed length for.

Note that if the X-Wing is 12.5 meters in length, we can take a very rough scale estimate of the A-Wing's width in comparison (it's rough due to perspective distortion, etc.). We then note that the A-Wing is slightly wider than the X-Wing's bisected length, 6.25 meters. That rationalization makes the official width of 6.48 meters rather viable, actually. Since the length of the A-Wing is greater than the width, it makes a length of over 9 meters very likely.

As far as realisim goes, a larger fighter is better. This is not to say that the speed and maneuverability could not be attributed to a small mass with even limited engine output (which is rather viable)-but it just doesn't seem to fit into place with the grander scale of Star Wars to me. The A-Wing is supposed to be a long range fighter with powerful sensors, a hyperdrive, a full load of 12 concussion missiles, and comparatively big engines. Squeezing all of that into such a tiny frame is a bit ludicrous... of course, it is Star Wars...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I agree with you, Alan. However, after posting that statement on the previous page, I did a small amount of research to determine if what I had stated held any validity. I'm aware of the close-up shots showing the pilot inside, which I assume is what the team is using to determine scale, but check this image out (it's real, from RotJ): http://www.theforce.net/SWTC/Pix/given/rb/mc04.jpg
Unfortunately we can't really use matte paintings for scale information as they tend to be more artistically than technically accurate :)  The really nice thing about fighters is that we do have images of the original movie models with pilots in them to help scale the things--it's cap ships that tend to be the problem regarding size issues, and that's where the lower level canon information and stuff from places like the SW Technical Commentaries can help to fill in the blanks.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Now that you mention it, you might be right... Those Rebels are employing giants in that hangar!

:shaking:

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, to be honest I can't see one of those people in the painting fitting in the X-wing in that same painting.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Was a final determination on the size of the in-game A-Wing able to be made? I've been tempted to pull out RotJ to attempt some more scaling myself, but I just haven't found the time.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's gonna be small.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline aRaven

I hope not that small

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I hope not that small
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!1

i can see the pilot fitting in one of them.
have you seen an F1 can IRL? it's REALLY small, i thougt it amazaing anyone bigger than a jockey can fit in.
FYI yes, an indvidual car is made to the driver's height, however they all appear the same size, and if jenson button can fit (and own ;)) in one, being over 6ft tall, why can't a 5'6 rebel pilot?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
My apologies for the lack of updates recently, work has had me very busy.

Anyways, a shot of the bottom now, still a WIP

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
And another while I'm at it:

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Beautiful as always.  :yes:

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
BrandX:
the stiptease of videogame modelling.

I mean it as a compliment, but still ancy for demo...

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
And another update, only minor changes but it's in high res/quality now

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Dammit, look at all of those gorgeous little normal-mapped details that I won't get to see until such time as I get a card that supports said maps. :(

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
And now with assymetrical replaced panels