Author Topic: Unable to save changes to mod.ini files (64-bit Vista Home Premium)  (Read 1503 times)

Unable to save changes to mod.ini files (64-bit Vista Home Premium)
Well the title pretty much says it all.  I installed Freespace and then I used to off-line installer to install the updates and campaigns.  I specifically used options 1 and 2.  Now to the problem.  I'm attaching an image of the error I'm receiving. 

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Unable to save changes to mod.ini files (64-bit Vista Home Premium)
Move the FreeSpace directory out of c:\Program Files.

The problem you have is due to Vista's UAC being crap; since your notepad does not have admin rights, it is not allowed by the OS to write to that directory. Save to desktop, and move the file into that folder manually.

And you can actually use "secondarylist". And remove that comma in front of  fsport.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Raise notepad to admin level.   (Right click->run as admin)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Move the FreeSpace directory out of c:\Program Files.

The problem you have is due to Vista's UAC being crap; since your notepad does not have admin rights, it is not allowed by the OS to write to that directory. Save to desktop, and move the file into that folder manually.

And you can actually use "secondarylist". And remove that comma in front of  fsport.

I'm just going to move my entire FreeSpace 2 directory out of Program Files.  It is the simplest solution. 

Thank you both for your help.

The other thing being that program files becomes a very long directory structure for FSO to live in.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?