Author Topic: A couple questions regarding multiplay  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
A couple questions regarding multiplay
So I've been checking this section out every once in a while, seeing the couple of threads like the ones where games are organized, but they're dead it seems. So, question time:

1 - Do you guys organize games through Xfire or just wait in the IRC channel and see if anyone wants to play?
2 - How many Europeans play? In the same vein, is it noticeable if you have a high ping to whomever you're playing with?
3 - What do you typically play? Coop, deathmatch?
4 - Any specific game setup you use? I'd imagine you roll with the times and use the newest mediavps and the latest finalized .exe file.

That's all really... I think.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: A couple questions regarding multiplay
1) IRC (which you can find here, mainly.  Barring that, crapshoot joining the multi lobby
2) A few.  Off the top of my head, three that I know of.  The_E, QuantumDelta, and probably a few more I'm missing.
3) Everything, though mostly Co-op.  Played a TvT earlier.
4) I use nomod, so I keep my score at the end of the mission, but three of the last eight of us used MVPs.  It doesn't affect who you can play with.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
1 - Games are organized on the IRC channel, you can also check the schedule in the sticky.

2 - The E, QD, andicirk (captain-custard), Shade (he hasn't been on in a while)...

3 - Mostly coop, although the occasional PvP is fun.

4 - The latest nightly build and the new MediaVPs, or else no MediaVPs. Make sure to get the Multi Mission Pack.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
2. yup and me you dirty mofos ;]

Ping's aren't that bad really. QuantumDelta uses to host bout 8.PM so come on!
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

For most people on multiplayer, what ping times do you guys ride on?
Was wondering since this is an older game if I can get away with any rounds of multi on my godawful connection.

I played on a 33.6k modem for FS1, I'm British, and the host I most frequently played with was Hawaiian.
I think you'll be fine with FS2s (marginally) better net code regardless of what internet connection you use, assuming;
You're fairly local to the host.
You aren't downloading something.
You're not dropping packets.

- Lag based advantages are all limitations in the heads of the players, you learn to deal with it, at least up to a point, after about 400 ping it begins to be something you can't overcome just by predictive playing..
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Mav

Hi. :)

1 - As the others said: IRC, lobby, and sometimes PM .
2 - Add me to that count :) . As about ping, I have noticed it sometimes, but it's still possible to play.
3 - I prefer Dogfight and sometimes PvP ; not that I'd have any real problem with the others, I just prefer those.
4 - Erhm, whenever I or someone else tried to host with MVPs on the standalone servers, those servers crashed :-/ . It's been a few months since then, but as I also prefer to save my stats, I'm only playing without MVPs...
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Compared to the lag I get on other games, the online FS2 matches I have played are really not bad for ping and lag. I won't repeat that the IRC is the main setup place. I personally prefer co-op, since I got slaughtered on my first match by FUBAR. ;)

BTW, is there any known issues with the newest INF build? I recently tried to play with someone, but after an hour of trying, we couldn't see or connect to eachother's games...
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Had the same issue yesterday.  Probably has something to do with security settings on one computer or the other, since both of us were able to join games hosted by someone else.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Inferno builds cannot work with non-Inferno builds and thus are not allowed to see each other.  So if one person is using Inferno and the other standard builds they will not be able to play.  Also all builds after a certain revision (see sticky) cannot work with previous versions.  That means 3.6.12 RC1 cannot work with 3.6.10 Final and most of the 3.6.11 builds. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Well, we tried with the official 3.6.10 builds, then with the INF builds (same nightly one also) with no luck.

Probably has something to do with security settings on one computer or the other
That's entirely possible I guess.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~