Author Topic: Any sadists here...  (Read 8281 times)

Missions are balanced around you having more respawns (if indeed you do, not all missions do have respawns).
Multi missions (well, community validated pack 3) are generally considered to be significantly harder than single player missions, but that's to be expected.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Kolgena

Really? A friend and I tried a few of the mutliplayer missions on insane. Found it a joke. Maybe we were playing some badly balanced missions from an early version of the MP pack? (this was a while ago)

The [v] and first mission pack contains missions which really aren't as hard at all.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I play the regular campaign on Insane, except for a few missions. The 3rd mission is one of them. Other than that, the first Ravana mission is another. Beyond that, the TAG missions are really difficult on Insane, as is the Asteroid mission. That entire loop is nearly impossible to do on Insane. Other than those missions, I almost always play on Insane. I've actually had an easier time on quite a few missions; friendly fighters become smarter, friendly beams become more deadly. Just develop an evasion tactic and you'll be fine. Mine is to run at 2/3 engines and use the afterburners instead of countermeasures.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
The 3rd mission is one of them.

This mission is damn hard for a beginner. Can't pass it on hard.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Try playing Into the Lions' Den in multi. ZERO respawns for continuity reasons. :drevil:

I played it once and ended up with the least amount of hull (6%) by the 12th minute. I really thought the Nebiros would screw me over (it didn't).
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
On retail campaigns? Insane all the time.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Oh yeah, I remember reading your review of the main FS2 campaign on Insane before. Very informational. :)
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I also finished Blue Planet on Insane. Not actually that bad given the excellent point defenses on the post-Capella warships.

However the prospect of attempting ST:R or PI on Insane makes me shiver.

I also finished Blue Planet on Insane. Not actually that bad given the excellent point defenses on the post-Capella warships.

Ironic I struggled a little bit with BP on Insane(which is a good thing :P) but ST:R (apart from the damned escape pod mission) wasn't that bad at all for me oO

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I started to play main FS campaign on Insane, but I got bored after entering the nebula, as I played it before and knew the storyline.
For user-made campaigns I use Medium, just to avoid balance issues.
The main campaign on Insane was challenging, but not impossible (I had no problem with mission 3), I liked the fact that it was playing completely different from lower difficulties.
Especially I liked the AI weapons ROF increase, Shivan beams looked just awesome (they were still annoying, but they continous fire made me overhaul the beam cannons used in my mod).

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Try playing Into the Lions' Den in multi. ZERO respawns for continuity reasons. :drevil:

I played it once and ended up with the least amount of hull (6%) by the 12th minute. I really thought the Nebiros would screw me over (it didn't).
That was a fun time.

I usully play on hard-insane, I turn it down to hard if it's ABSOLUTELY impossible to beat the mission, never before. Multi is always insane, and I find people only notice if I tell them.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I automatically assume that it's on Hard or Insane the moment my shots don't seem to do anything.

Unfortunately, I can't really do much on either difficulty level except being cannon fodder.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Ironic I struggled a little bit with BP on Insane(which is a good thing :P) but ST:R (apart from the damned escape pod mission) wasn't that bad at all for me oO

To be honest I haven't actually tried ST:R on Insane; it might be just fine. I'm just remembering 'Return to Ross 128' and how hard it was to get all the bonus objectives.

Procyon Insurgency would probably be doable too since most of the missions can be solved with Stiletto spam.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Procyon Insurgency would probably be doable too since most of the missions can be solved with Stiletto spam.

:wtf:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Just started the retail campaign on insane  :D It doesn't seem as hard as I was expecting.  But at the same time I am having to be more careful about playing chicken with the enemy fighters. They never get out of the way and then I'm left floating there with 50% hull and no nav or comms   :sigh:
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm still content with keeping my butt firmly planted on Easy.  I don't need even more of a reason to have to keep restarting missions in order to accomplish some objective or other when I already get that at this difficulty. :p

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
I'm still content with keeping my butt firmly planted on Easy.  I don't need even more of a reason to have to keep restarting missions in order to accomplish some objective or other when I already get that at this difficulty. :p

But surely you get a warm fuzzy feeling when you pull off a really hard mission on insane and have to sit there for a few minutes while you realise what you've done?? Or is that just me  :D
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.

To be honest I haven't actually tried ST:R on Insane; it might be just fine. I'm just remembering 'Return to Ross 128' and how hard it was to get all the bonus objectives.

I played through most of the damn campaign until I realized that Stilettos were untargettable. I used Trebs the whole time. It got so much easier.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Insane can be done, but I don't find it very "comfortable" at all.

By "comfortable", I mean that some of the missions really don't feel right with it, they feel kind of awkward.

Technically by doing Insane, you're not cheating anymore, as your ship will be the way it should and not made better than it should be. However, when you look at what you're often up against, it starts to sound just downright "Insane" in a lot of cases.

That being said, I always thought it would be interesting to have an alternative "balanced" difficulty, where your ship would not be given any advantages but at the same time the amount of enemies would be reduced somewhat to more reasonable levels, making individual confrontations more exciting without cranking overall the difficulty up by such a large degree, like a sort of step sideways rather than a step up from Hard.
Though maybe someone has already made a mod for that but I never heard of it.