Author Topic: Beams alternate shapes?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Re: Beams alternate shapes?
Groovy. Thanks, mate.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
So the Lightning Cannon is basically a re-textured, 2 second beam. It still fires 'straight', so to speak.

I don't think that it's possible (without changing code) to have a curving beam.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Oh sorry hahaha. I think I got everyone confused.
When I said "arcs" of lightning I just meant have a straight-firing beam but a different shape instead of  a straight line. The idea being to have a "particle cannon" weapon which are sometimes depicted as looking like lightning. So the lightning cannon will work well enough I think (modified of course), though I've yet to see it in action since none of the campaigns I've played have made use of it.

Still the research could be applicable to other mods. Might be cool to have some sort of curving direct-fire weapn.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Well, as far as lightning beam goes, I have an idea how to do it. Though I'm not really succeeding in making the texture 'backgroundless'. If I can solve that, you should have your tesla beam.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Bax and I discussed 2 or 3 ways to accomplish making a beam that changes direction mid stream,
just a matter of not having enough time between RL to work on them.

Just tossing that tidbit in there.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
So, something like Descent 3's "Omega Cannon" ? (not quite the same as D2's)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Quote from: Wiki
Tile Factor:

* Defines the beam texture tileing factor. Second number defines the tileing type. Type 0 tiles the graphic in the beam as many times as defined by the 1st number. Type 1 uses the 1st value as the lenght of the tile.
    * Syntax: Float, Integer
What does it mean by 'Type 1 uses the 1st value as the length of the tile'?
A bit late answer but still... Type one (ie. if the second value was 1, for example 25, 1) spreads the texture so that yeah texture tile is 'float' units (from the example this would be 25 units - meters?) long. On the other type there are set amount of tiles spread over the whole texture, which as beam length may vary could look rather interesting. Default beam draw uses single texture tile spread over the whole beam (by default 30 000 units long).
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
So; type 1 just streches the beam texture, necessitating only a single texture, but type 2 repeats the tile X number of times?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Wouldn't tiling on beams give better visual quality?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
He wants to make a PPC effect. Not sure if you've played MechWarrior, but a PPC has always been described in the novels as a 'white-blue blast of lightning', and the later games portray it as such.

the way the games tend to depict PPC is a cluster of 3-5 blue/white streams with a slight corkscrew and the occasional stray lightning bolt with an impact like an exploding lightning ball
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
So; type 1 just streches the beam texture, necessitating only a single texture, but type 2 repeats the tile X number of times?
No..

Type 0 stretches the texture to fit to the beam the number of times defined in the first number of the tile factor input, type 1 repeats the tile in specified length as many times as it is required regardless of the beam length.. There should be no other types (anything larger than 1 defaults to 0)
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
the way the games tend to depict PPC is a cluster of 3-5 blue/white streams with a slight corkscrew and the occasional stray lightning bolt with an impact like an exploding lightning ball
The MW4 one always looked like a blast of lightning to me, and let's face it; making it look like lightning is just plain cool.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
MW3 one was best!

I haven't played either game. Only BT games I played were #1 and #2. Oh and Crescent Hawk's series.

This isn't even for battletech. For something complete unrelated but a mod that may benefit from it. Assuming it's a mod I pursue.
Still lightning guns are cool in any genre. What I might try to eventually implement is a narrow beam with lightning guns around it. Such that the regular shot is a beam but its secondary effect is the lightning. Not that it makes any sense in space but I can't be bothered to care about such things.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
To be honest a directed lightning arc (laser guide beam, for example) looks exactly like retail beam textures in white. An undirected arc is probably beyond the ability of the engine because, well, lightning, angles and stuff.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:22:18 am by Getter Robo G »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I made a musical note cannon. Although it was by accident, and it was only the tail that made them look like notes.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
The red lightning and musical note beams were nice.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Red lightning would look nice as a Shivan beam.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
In all honesty, they look pretty cool to me...