Author Topic: "You lie!!"  (Read 17645 times)

Offline iamzack

You're making some pretty big assumptions there, Liberator. I think capitalism is a great economic system.

I just don't think it's perfect. Unregulated capitalism is just as bad as pure communism.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's the interaction between Capitalism and Politics that is the problem to be honest, when companies attempt to massage the law in order to allow them to market a new product, or attempt to influence a Senator because their product contains toxic material and they don't want to have to accept responsibility, then something is going wrong to my mind.

Offline iamzack

Yeah, that's capitalism beating the regulations, isn't it? Without regulations, they'd make more profit because they wouldn't have to lobby. And what's good for business&stockholders is good for America! ..right?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Flipside, I don't see why a company should have to massage the law in order to be able to sell a new product.  Can you provide an example of why a company should be forced to seek permission from the government in order to be able to market a product?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Flipside, I don't see why a company should have to massage the law in order to be able to sell a new product.  Can you provide an example of why a company should be forced to seek permission from the government in order to be able to market a product?

Drug Companies.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

The 1900s-1920s.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Patent Medience.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
For most of the wealthy people I know, it was a long time coming and they worked harder than most to get there.

Bollocks.

This is just "The poor are poor because they don't try hard enough" in another form. You look at any end of the pay scale and you'll find people working bloody hard. From the pauper working two jobs to have enough to feed their kids to the millionaire with no social life cause work is everything.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline iamzack

It also fails to take into account that rich people don't get rich in a vacuum. They may not be stepping on people to get where they are, but their wealth is built on the foundations that the government provides to everyone.

Can you provide an example of why a company should be forced to seek permission from the government in order to be able to market a product?

Sport Utility Vehicles.

Though quite obviously passenger vehicles, under the law, they are classified as light trucks, as opposed to large cars or vans.  This permits auto makers to build them to lower standards of environmental impact and passenger safety.  If you can stand the soul tax that accompanies that, it helps reduce the per-unit dollar cost.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I really don't get you iamzack.  I'll grant that you are young.  But most people become Capitalists pretty quick when they have to provide for themselves when they get out into the big bad world.

Another thing, you talk like you dislike wealthy people simply because they are wealthy and that they must have climbed over someone and oppressed them to get they're money or were just plain lucky.  For most of the wealthy people I know, it was a long time coming and they worked harder than most to get there.

Actually, scientifically speaking, most wealthy or successful people start out with some kind of advantage. Check out Malcolm Gladwell, 'Outliers'.

Plus, your hypothesis totally fails to take into account the fact that there may be many more who who work hard for a long time and fail to get anywhere.

In other words it's meaningless and doesn't make the basest logical sense.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
You know all this time I thought I was working hard.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I know someone who's working a full time job (bus driving), a part time job (bar tending), and going to college full time.

He makes $40,000 a year, $6,000 of which goes straight to school.

He's 45 years old.

He's worked hard all of his life.

Don't tell me you make what you earn liberator.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
40k is not an uncomfortable living presuming you don't live beyond your means and control your debt.  I've heard tales of folk making that and less paying obscene amts of debt and living happy and free lives when they're not burdened by that.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

It's not just a question of releasing new goods, take the petrol companies, and lead in petrol, take Tobacco and Nicotine poisoning, take toys with toxic paint on them, all of those were not caught nearly quick enough not because of lack of knowledge of the danger, but because of the political power of the organisations that produced them. That is the danger to my mind, when profit is more important than public safety, and I'm not talking about Government coming into your homes, I'm talking about the very thing the Government is there for, to protect and support the people that vote them in, when that suffers for profit, I can't help thinking that something is wrong with the system.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
40k is not an uncomfortable living presuming you don't live beyond your means and control your debt.  I've heard tales of folk making that and less paying obscene amts of debt and living happy and free lives when they're not burdened by that.

Could you not ignore all the arguments raised in response to points you make? It'd make you look a little bit less some kind of repeater for conservative talk radio.

And try living on 40K without health insurance.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action

Could you not ignore all the arguments raised in response to points you make? It'd make you look a little bit less some kind of repeater for conservative talk radio.

And try living on 40K without health insurance.
Why should I bother replying to anything any of you say?  You think my beliefs are foolish and that I am an idiot.  I couldn't say anything that could possibly be taken seriously in this atmosphere.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's absolutely untrue. I am capable of separating my feelings towards your opinions (often very misinformed, such as the last one I critiqued) from my feelings towards you (probably a decent chap from a very different culture, possibly a bit too trusting.)

Seriously, I am aware of the fundamental attribution error.

On the other hand if the things you say keep getting shot down, then just ignoring them means you'll never learn anything, which does make it look like you're just putting your hands over your ears, rocking back and forth, and humming.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
From my perspective, your side is one doing the humming.