Author Topic: FS2 Open framerate drops no matter what detail settings used  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: FS2 Open framerate drops no matter what detail settings used
He already did, didn't help.

Try a Nightly SSE or SSE2 Build.

Yep I've tried a few, thanks though.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
What happens when you try windowed mode?

...or fullscreen window in recentest builds.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I gave them both a try but no joy, I still get the com video slowdown in the normal exe and general bad performance in the debug, I tried running the windowed mode at 640x480 but the framerate was identical to 1280x1024.

Just a few other observations, the game is using 100% of one of my cores almost constantly on all detail settings, I take it this is normal?

Also disabling the com video section of the hud initially runs well however after a minute general performance seems to drop quite a bit, It's looking like my best hope of playing the game at the moment is to run the standard exe, with the HUD fully enabled and to make sure I have something targeted, performance is pretty tolerable then.

Any new ideas?  :)

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
For a test I played through the first few missions of the unmodified game, it's perfect and smooth, albeit not very impressive  :(
Does that mean you ran the original FS2 exe, or FSO with just the original VPs?

Have you combed through the process list, sure there's nothing more you could disable (just to try if it has any effect, if its something you can't disable permanently)?

The original exe, using FSO with the original VPs is still juddery, again, independent of detail settings  :sigh:

Offline Jarius

I've actually been having a similar problem, although I only get the juddering sometimes (mostly on training missions for the FS2 campaign, although it happens rarely in the story missions as well).  Turning the framerate indicator on shows I'm still getting a solid 60 FPS. The problem goes away when I turn Vsync off, although of course I get tearing when I do.

I just downloaded and installed the game a couple days ago, and I'm running the FSO 3.6.10 build and the media VPs, including that advanced one.  My computer isn't quite as much of a powerhouse as WDeranged's is but it's still respectable, running winXP pro on an 8800GT and an athlon X2 with 2 GB of RAM.

I haven't tried the detailed troubleshooting that WDeranged has done yet, mostly because my problem doesn't seem to be as annoying as his, but I'll do that when I have time.  I just wanted to let you guys know that it's not an isolated incident.

EDIT: I should mention that the juddering doesn't seem to start until I target something, and stops when I'm not targeting anything.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:57:34 pm by Jarius »

Good to know I'm not alone, it sounds like a related issue  :)