Author Topic: What are Command mistakes  (Read 31419 times)

Re: What are Command mistakes
Ships are not slabs of metal. Ships are mostly hollow internally...you know - to put stuff in. The armor, the bulkheads, the reinforcing structure - it all scales badly.
It doesn't need to scale good - weakest link fails.
The moment the Repulse and the Collie collide, you have the mass of the Repulse pushing against its reinforcing structure, the reinforcing structure pushing against the point of contact, and then pushing against the reinforcing structure of the Collie. A force strong enough to break the structure of the Collie would have breaken the Orions structure before, stretching the translation of the momentum (which also remains constant in a closed system) over a longer period of time, further weakening the forces that the Collie has to withstand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--_RGM4Abv8
Watch this video. The energy of the impact is almost completely translated into destruction of the plane, the wall only gets damaged a little.

[edit]
Changed "impulse" to "momentum"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 06:24:07 am by Uchuujinsan »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Do impacts in space even work the same? There is no air resistance and all that jazz.
Like swatting a fly flying in the air. Unless you actually smack it into something, it's not hurt at all and will just continue flying on after being hit.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Do impacts in space even work the same? There is no air resistance and all that jazz.
Like swatting a fly flying in the air. Unless you actually smack it into something, it's not hurt at all and will just continue flying on after being hit.

Well, physic in space works the same way as here.
Energy in a closed system remains constant.
Momentum in a closed system remains constant.
Especially the often forgotten momentum has to be remembered.

[edit]
A crap, I translated "momentum" wrong, sry for that -.-
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 06:24:25 am by Uchuujinsan »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The Repulse is not a F4 Phantom, the Collie is not a thick, specialized concrete wall.

They are both, large, armored warships. Only comparison wort examining are two ships chrashing into eachother - and all scenarios oft hat happening are not favorible for either ship.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

The Repulse has a weaker structure than the Collie.
Weakest link breaks. Why do you keep ignoring that?
The video shows that yes, indeed, the weakest link breaks.

Only comparison wort examining are two ships chrashing into eachother - and all scenarios oft hat happening are not favorible for either ship.
http://www.splashvision.com/Video/13165_Ship-sinks-after-collision.html
The Cape Beaver here is apparently undamaged, and no report of that incident I found spoke of any damage to Cape Beaver.
If you compare the relative size of those two ships with the relative size of the Repulse/Collie, the size difference is probably even less.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Not true at all. The fly will be accelerated by the swat. This could kill it.

Ramming ships is a fine example, because in the past ships were built to ram each other, and in fact it was quite an effective tactic. Ships ramming submarines was a particular favorite.

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
The Repulse has a weaker structure than the Collie.
Weakest link breaks. Why do you keep ignoring that?
The video shows that yes, indeed, the weakest link breaks.

Large ships have their own rules of behavior. A ship designer told me both ships will be badly damaged. Why do you ignore that?

Frankly, if I have to choose between beliving you and a YouTube clip that only marginally applies to the situation, and a guy who works on actually designing and simulating large vessels...it's a no brainer.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I know the guy that built the blah blah blah.

Convenient, company name plox.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

And yeah, ships in FS can withstand X hits because that's the table value. didn't a Orion in FS2 intro get pierced (destroyed) by a SINGLE beam from the Lucifer? IIRC, in-game it takes several hits. So, which of the two is the reality of FS universe?
We already know the beam for the Lucifer is wrong in FS2 (although even more powerful beams would take multiple hits).  However, we also know that they've upgraded the Orions since the first Great War since they have to participate in beam warfare effectively.  It's really not that difficult to explain (and frankly should be obvious) unless there's a scene in FS2 demonstrating the same thing.

We do get to see a Deimos corvette getting beam skewered so the engine allows for that.

You seem to forget that  a bomb hit, a beam hit and a collisions are completey different in the way they deliver damage.
I've noted several times in my posts that they're indeed different but that the impact of the explosives they use would yield even greater impact effects than a collision would.

Furthermore, you can't do the reverse and say "because OUR MODERN doesn't allow for it, what actually happened doesn't count".  Logic dictates you do the reverse and say "this is what happened, how can that be?"

We have to take it that the ships can eat that much damage as a fact since if it was effective to use collision then that tactic would have been used more often.  Or at the very least, used against the Shivans when the situation started to turn dire.  It's not even physically impossible, it's just that our seafaring ships aren't built that way.

Secondly, you cannot simply ignore the basics of warship construction. Yes, that friend of mine works mostly on civilain vessels (he did work on a destroyer once..or was it a mine sweeper? Whatever), but the basic are the same.
Ships are not slabs of metal. Ships are mostly hollow internally...you know - to put stuff in. The armor, the bulkheads, the reinforcing structure - it all scales badly.
so yes, in a collision with the Repulse the whole front of the colossus would crumple. There would be nothing left of the Repulse tough. Cause mass keep going and some armor isn't going to stop that amount of mass.
Which is what I said?  The Repulse will crumple against the Colossus while the Colossus would sustain damage to the front sector but that wouldn't constitute a show-stopping damage for the Colossus (in the middle of a war, the bulkheads would be sealed off, broken parts cut off, and the Colossus continuing its mission sans front beams).

However, you're making the assumption that the Repulse is a single ideal object where at this sort of scale, the proper way to model it would be as a collection of objects.  As such the momentum of the Repulse is not absorbed all at once but as a continuum over time.

An issue that you're still not understanding is that pound for pound, the structural toughness of our seafaring warships aren't that far apart.  However, the Colossus is meant to eat beams from even multiple Orions simultaneously and shrug it off while easily blowing them away in return indicating greater toughness.  As you've also said, large objects behave differently; this means the way the collision will occur will not be as if they're ideal objects and reduces the damage of collision.

Furthermore, collision damage is particularly bad in the sea because ships are not sunk by damage but by water (your friend should agree with this particular phrase).  Losing 10% of the hull below water could be devastating.  But there's no such equivalent for spacecraft.  Unless the Colossus was built such that losing the front section would mean loss of control (which would be an incredible case of not building redundancy into such a huge ship) it's not anywhere close to a crippling attack.  It would literally be just losing perhaps 30%.

And funny how you ignore my very own example with the kamikaze attacks. I asked a question you still didn't answer.
I went all the way back to page 5 (which was before I even posted) and none of your posts even had the word "suicide" or "kamikaze".

Frankly, if I have to choose between beliving you and a YouTube clip that only marginally applies to the situation, and a guy who works on actually designing and simulating large vessels...it's a no brainer.
Who doesn't even know the full situation.  It's not like you explained to him what these ships were meant to endure, how much larger one ship is compared to the other, how much tougher one ship is compared to the other, how they collided, the velocity they collided at, etc. and then he went and properly thought it through rather than giving the "common sense for modern construction" answer.

All of which everyone else here is considering.  Modern ships aren't even designed to eat damage; they're designed to avoid getting hit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:54:14 pm by ChronoReverse »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
So you know someone who designs kilometers-long, particle-beam-slinging,  faster-than-light-capable warships? Awesome.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
British guy obviously.

I always laugh in the Roman's Blunder. I always imagine command saying

"There will be no negotiations, Bosch"
then turning and squealing under his breath "I always wanted to say that!"
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Haha, a nice put down right there. :D

Now, as I have already said, it seems that everyone is ignoring an important factor in this, the fact that the superstructure of the Repulse would be weakened by the massive amount of beam fire coming from the Collie. It would crumple, without a doubt. All the calculations have assumed that the Repulse is at full strength and that it can transfer all its energy into the Collie. That is not true. I cannot see it causing much damage to the Collie as a crumple zone would form due to its horribly damaged front end.
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
And funny how you ignore my very own example with the kamikaze attacks. I asked a question you still didn't answer.

I was the one who mentioned the kamikaze attacks since the question wasn't directed at me.
You didn't realize who posted that. Then again, it is quite hard to tell.

"No"

Large ships have their own rules of behavior. A ship designer told me both ships will be badly damaged. Why do you ignore that?
I don't ignore it, I explain why it's wrong. I even show examples THAT it's wrong (Just look at the second video). You don't try to show that my explanation is wrong - you just ignore it.
Large ships are subject to the same physical laws as everything. The laws don't bend if you don't like the results.
The weakest link breaks.

I showed a clip of two ships crashing, were one gets sunk and the other one doesn't get damaged. How is that only marginally applying to your claim that both ships will be badly damaged? Ignoring facts you don't like? Well, you didn't even mention that video, so you didn't read my post? Or did you read it and are you just trying to troll me?

You are not supposed to "believe" me, you are supposed to follow a logical conclusive appliance of universal and fundamental physical laws.
You don't want to? You can't? You found a flaw? Show me!

Whoa...
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Well shall we agree to disagree, this is beginning to get rather heated, and I don't want to get banned or monkeyed. :D
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Or we can just point out another flaw in Koth's plan. We've seen ships take quite massive amounts of damage and yet still be fully functional only a few missions later. Even if Koth had crippled the Colossus he'd only have put it out of action for a few days or weeks at most. :p

Now while that might have fit in perfectly with Bosch's plans it's a pretty stupid idea to do that to fit in with the NTF's objectives for the war.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
You are not supposed to "believe" me, you are supposed to follow a logical conclusive appliance of universal and fundamental physical laws.
You don't want to? You can't? You found a flaw? Show me!

I can say the same about you. You see, physics is not as simple as that.
"The weakest link fails" is not the complete answer to anything. Your claim is equal to claiming that if you know how to calculate thrust for a rocket, you can launch it into space sucesfully...except that a lot more plays into that.

And since we're so on about canonicity I'm still waiting for a logical explanation of the canon happenings.

IF an Orion is rammed by an Aten (1:100 size difference) and it does 30% hull damage...then how much hull damage would you expect if an Orion ramms a Colossuss (1:20 MAx size differnce).

I can say the same about you. You see, physics is not as simple as that.
"The weakest link fails" is not the complete answer to anything.
If my model is in your opinion to simple, show me a more complex and more accurate model that refutes me - that's what I meant with show me. But you don't.

Your claim is equal to claiming that if you know how to calculate thrust for a rocket, you can launch it into space sucesfully...except that a lot more plays into that.
My claim is equal to claiming that if I know how to calculate thrust for a rocket, I can tell you if it is possible to launch into space succesfully - if it only manages a maximum acceleration of 9 m/s² I can tell you it won't. Because a lower limit for the acceleration from the surface of earth is 9.81m/s². And I can tell you that the forces the Collie has to endure won't exceed the forces the Orion can withstand. Because you can't transmit a force via a structure that can't withstand that force.

I also think it's interesting how you again failed to respond to the video where the two ships collide, and one remains undamaged.

And since we're so on about canonicity I'm still waiting for a logical explanation of the canon happenings.

IF an Orion is rammed by an Aten (1:100 size difference) and it does 30% hull damage...then how much hull damage would you expect if an Orion ramms a Colossuss (1:20 MAx size differnce).

That's a distraction I will ignore.