Author Topic: What are Command mistakes  (Read 31412 times)

Re: What are Command mistakes
Either way you have the Repulses mass + reactor + all the ordinance and fuel on board + beams to soften up the impact point. That's a lot of bang.
Just remember that on the flipside, there's the Colossus firing its beams vaporizing chunks out of the Repulse.  The Repulse is destroyed before it gets to the Colossus often times.

And again, in the past, a ship purposely stuffed with explosives (thus far exceeding the Repulse's impromptu explosive potential) didn't do that great of damage either.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
Either way you have the Repulses mass + reactor + all the ordinance and fuel on board + beams to soften up the impact point. That's a lot of bang.

Bang separated from it's point of impact by a fair distance

Which was my point with the bomb 200m away exploding
"No"

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wouldn't the bombs go off when they get chrushed (by that time the repusle and Colossus are a nice jumble of twisted metal), not when the front of the Repulse hits?
I guess that also depends on where the bombs are stored, but still. One could argue that an explosion would push part of the Repulse in front of it only harder, thereby increasing the pressure on the Collie.

And again, in the past, a ship purposely stuffed with explosives (thus far exceeding the Repulse's impromptu explosive potential) didn't do that great of damage either.

Exceeding? How do you figure that? A Aten cruiser in FS1? With what was it stuffed? The HoL was not known for powerfull warheads. and again, you're forgeting that the Repulse is like, more than a 100 times bigger. It's ordinance stocks are probably bigger than the Aten.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Because a fleeing destroyer on the losing end of a war would clearly have a large stock with unused high-end explosives.  Every effort must be made to exaggerate the size difference between an Aten-class cruiser and an Orion as well since Aten cruisers are quicker.

Damage to the Colossus must also be taken as a realistic as possible (therefore chunks taken out) while damage to the Repulse shall be taken as purely numerical hull percentage (since the entire thing must reach the Colossus).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:55:02 am by ChronoReverse »

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Because a fleeing destroyer on the losing end of a war would clearly have a large stock with unused high-end explosives.

That is sarcasm right?? I really hope so.
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline deathfun

I guess that also depends on where the bombs are stored, but still. One could argue that an explosion would push part of the Repulse in front of it only harder, thereby increasing the pressure on the Collie.

My take on this:
When the Repulse is destroyed, it gives off a massive shockwave added to by it's ordnance. The resulting force would indeed propel certain parts of the ship, but those parts wouldn't have as much of an impact force reducing how it would damage the hull. It also depends on where the explosion lies, and where it propels the fragment.

But to add on to this, the Collie doesn't have a flat front, it's slightly angled if I remember correctly. If a fragment were to hit that angled part, the impact would be reduced since it has to deflect off the hull.

"No"

Because a fleeing destroyer on the losing end of a war would clearly have a large stock with unused high-end explosives.

That is sarcasm right?? I really hope so.

I was hoping my post was dripping with sarcasm but I guess I didn't put enough in  :p

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Yeah, it's hard to pick up on in a text form. :)

Heh, I'll add some green sarcasm then.

All those unused high-end explosives in the fleeing destroyer on the losing end of a war are also obviously all primed to explode with only the shock of collision (so that the attacking beams don't set them off) and certainly are arranged just right so that they act as a shaped charge right at the bow of the destroyer where the collision starts (so that there won't be explosions in the middle of the ship deflecting part of the mass).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:11:05 pm by ChronoReverse »

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Good work there. :D

But seriously how can you say that the explosives will propel the Orion fragments with high enough speed to destroy the Collie. Surely the Orion has a weaker build, in all parts. This would mean the explosives would shred the Orion into small parts, which would not do any more than superficial damage. The Orion would soak up most of its own blast.

Looking at data from a magazine hit test it seems that the ship takes most of the damage, not much is dispersed outwards. I know that doesn't apply all that well to this but....

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to put it simple command was set up in the perfect way to fight the last war and to be honest should of made arrangements for the coming war. I mean they developed beam cannons from the scans they got from the Lucy's flux cannons.

The fleet they had and the tactics they used were good fro the last war and to some extent good for the second one too.

However because of this lack of intel on the shivan capabilaties they should of been more concerned about getting info on the enemy . Granted they did not have much time to pull off such a thing. But then again by the time they did get all the info.....it was not that late in the war. They could have done things different. Granted they did not expect the shivans to have such a massive jugg fleet. Nor did they expect the colapsed knossos to have already stabilised the jump point. If they could have collapsed the node the first time around then everithing would of been great.

Overall i give command in a general sense of the way a 7/10 . Should have done better but then again....
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Abyss

I wounder if Koth knew about these physics when he ordered his ship to ram the Collie, perhaps he just thought that his ship would do more damage.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
:wtf:

Offline deathfun

"No"

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
I wounder if Koth knew about these physics when he ordered his ship to ram the Collie, perhaps he just thought that his ship would do more damage.

This is actually one of the best argument yet. Koth was supposed to be a good commander and tactician. And the NTF knew of the Colossuss.
If he ordered the ramming then he must have thought that it WILL do big damage to it. Trought FS ramming was shown to be very deadly.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I think it was more along the lines of, "Welp, I'm boned anyway, so might as well do something flashy and pseudo-brave as I die." :p

Offline Asakura

It was possible that the Repulse's drives were not ready for them to leave again since it just made its jump into the mission area. I have never actually seen the Repulse get close enough before it goes down, but debris from the orion should do more than just scratching the Col.

Logically speaking Koth could possibly have done more damage to the using its broadside beams than trying to ram it though, especially since it took extra time to turn to face the Col head on. Koth could possibly deploy bombers from its bays to help as well.

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
I think it was more along the lines of, "Welp, I'm boned anyway, so might as well do something flashy and pseudo-brave as I die." :p

Which would make sense for a fighter pilot, not a commander of a ship with 10000 people. You don't do a flashy death unless you think it will actually acomplish something.

Offline Asakura

Which would make sense for a fighter pilot, not a commander of a ship with 10000 people. You don't do a flashy death unless you think it will actually acomplish something.

That or he had no other choice since he did not intend to surrender and the only node out of the system was blockaded. Doing as much damage to Collie becomes the only logical decision left, whether or not it was effective.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
And keep in mind that he probably assumed that ramming the Colossus will destroy it.

Quote from: Rear Admiral Koth
Even if I send my crew to Hell with you, this monstrosity will be destroyed!
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?