Author Topic: Let me............... Tel-e-port you!  (Read 84814 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: The Earth is uninhabitable
Why would we need to go biosphere on a planetary colony? We'd be exploiting the environment - if you assume we can magic wand the distance issue away (eg. we get a wormhole generator) then we're going to look for planets that are at least vaguely earthlike. Even if we don't get an earthlike planet, there'll be something there we can exploit, even if it's just drawing oxygen out of the rocks themselves (Of course, there'd probably be a lot more we could do - any martian colonies (and, following recent evidence, maybe lunar colonies as well) would be able to optain potentially huge amounts of water locally.

Sure, but I'm afraid we can't magic wand the distance away, can we?

Look at early efforts to colonize the Americas. That's what you'll see en masse in colonization. It will be a long, hard road before it goes right.

You guys are arguing two different things. First you say colonization is impossible because we pathetic humans need such a precise environment to survive in and all attempts to replicate that environment have failed. Now you're saying it's a distance issue. Sure, distance is an issue. My point is that if distance is the big problem, then we've got a much smaller range of planets we can potentially colonize - Mars, Venus, the moon, maybe a few of the jovian/saturnian moons - but there're no massive barriers to surviving on those planets - for at least a few years - with current or near future technologies - they're just not economically viable. If distance somehow ceased to be an issue through FTL, we'd go looking for a better, more earthlike colony world and it'd become easier to do. The only barrier to colonies offworld is economics.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Bodysnatcher fungus wins.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Ex-****ing-actly. :wtf: Our sample size is one measly planet. We have no idea what's out there.

The Truth is out there, silly.  :P

Hurr? Transhumanism means unlimited freedom to adapt purely on the basis of conscious planning, instead of the half-assed consciousness we have right now.

I am actually a big advocate for Transhumanism as well, but it still does have limitations. If we were able to upload our consciousness into a computer system of some sort, that system also needs to operate within a rather tempremental environmental limitations. Even though the limits are relaxed, they still do exist and we shouldn't forget that. We would still need some sort of life support to live on the moon, we would still need to develop some sort of FTL-ish space propulsion system to get to other stars in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm all for aiding the body with implantations (provided they work well and without side-effects), but completely replacing it? No. Just, no.  :no:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We would still need some sort of life support to live on the moon, we would still need to develop some sort of FTL-ish space propulsion system to get to other stars in a reasonable amount of time.

Um, why? Just dial down your clock speed. Or shut off your boredom.

I'm all for aiding the body with implantations (provided they work well and without side-effects), but completely replacing it? No. Just, no.  :no:

The kneejerk fear of the dualist!  :p

The fact is that your body gets replaced all the time anyway. The matter that makes up precious ol' You cycles all the time. All that's preserved is the pattern of information.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Recommended reading:

Accelerando
Glasshouse
Altered Carbon

And, for the space travel part:

Saturn's Children
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm all for aiding the body with implantations (provided they work well and without side-effects), but completely replacing it? No. Just, no.  :no:

The kneejerk fear of the dualist!  :p

The fact is that your body gets replaced all the time anyway. The matter that makes up precious ol' You cycles all the time. All that's preserved is the pattern of information.
Yeah, but at least the replacement material is just as warm and squishy as the original.  And I want to be able to scratch my own biological ass in Alpha Centauri, thank you very much. :p

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'm Sorry Battuta

But Humans are SUPERIOR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHsL_ZhhMhI
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Hurr? Transhumanism means unlimited freedom to adapt purely on the basis of conscious planning, instead of the half-assed consciousness we have right now.

Anything which makes us less squishy lessens our need to develop or adapt, and thus I cannot support it. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Our current habit of wrapping ourselves in life support, implanting ourselves with devices to keep us living, wearing glasses, modifying our diets, culturing livestock and food products, and coddling the ill is 'making us less squishy' on a grand scale. We don't need to be forced to adapt any more. We have this mechanism called cognition that lets us do it on our own!

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

It isn't just a problem of that, it would cause you to fall behind everyone else by a few thousand years. If we were to have colonies in other star systems, rapid communication becomes that much more important.

I'm all for aiding the body with implantations (provided they work well and without side-effects), but completely replacing it? No. Just, no.

Your brain is eventually going to fail when it gets old, one of the symptoms of this is dimentia, occasionally along with alzheimers, etc. What do you do about that? What about people like Steven Hawking?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Your brain generally lasts as long as the rest of your body, and as it decays so does the brain. We're not talking about something that should suffer programmed cell death or anything Kosh. As long as the rest of your body continues to function well and you're not unfortunate in the genetic lottery, your brain can keep soldiering on forever.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It isn't just a problem of that, it would cause you to fall behind everyone else by a few thousand years. If we were to have colonies in other star systems, rapid communication becomes that much more important.

Actually, no. Unless you can find a way around c, bandwidth between any interstellar colony and Earth will be severely limited.

I'm all for aiding the body with implantations (provided they work well and without side-effects), but completely replacing it? No. Just, no.

Your brain is eventually going to fail when it gets old, one of the symptoms of this is dimentia, occasionally along with alzheimers, etc. What do you do about that? What about people like Steven Hawking?

You really need to read up on transhumanism. If we can find solutions for the problems posed by these degenerative diseases (including old age), we will have to see how well a brain ages.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
As long as the rest of your body continues to function well and you're not unfortunate in the genetic lottery, your brain can keep soldiering on forever.
That is just a hypothesis though, we can't know for sure. The brain is constantly evolving.. can that process be sustained succesfully for extended periods? Maybe in mere thousand years it will entangle itself into a nonsolvable puzzle - and just freeze.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That is just a hypothesis though, we can't know for sure. The brain is constantly evolving.. can that process be sustained succesfully for extended periods? Maybe in mere thousand years it will entangle itself into a nonsolvable puzzle - and just freeze.

Let's find a cure for old age and it's associated failure modes and find out. Or better yet, find a method for uploading minds....

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
You guys are arguing two different things. First you say colonization is impossible because we pathetic humans need such a precise environment to survive in and all attempts to replicate that environment have failed. Now you're saying it's a distance issue. Sure, distance is an issue. My point is that if distance is the big problem, then we've got a much smaller range of planets we can potentially colonize - Mars, Venus, the moon, maybe a few of the jovian/saturnian moons - but there're no massive barriers to surviving on those planets - for at least a few years - with current or near future technologies - they're just not economically viable. If distance somehow ceased to be an issue through FTL, we'd go looking for a better, more earthlike colony world and it'd become easier to do. The only barrier to colonies offworld is economics.
In the article, it says that colonization is practically impossible because of the environmental requirements, distance, and economics in real life conditions. I take it that is the misunderstanding?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I concur.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Transhumanism is a big load of monkey poo.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

Fine, we'll make sure you don't get any. :p
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Monkey poo? ;7
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Fine, we'll make sure you don't get any. :p

Quite right, you don't have to get any again.

Though, again, you're demonstrably wrong, since you're surrounded by transhumans.