Author Topic: Getting something Shivan validated for multi?  (Read 4203 times)

Offline Mav

Getting something Shivan validated for multi?
Well, hi :) .

I'd like some more Shivan missions in multi, and with more ships than the Mara to select, too.
And also some Shivan participation in Gauntlets, which would require some sort of balancing, of course.

This would, thus, involve some kind of mod. And as I personally want my stats saved when I play FSNet, it'd have to be something validated.
Would that be posible?

I already made a small Shivan-Mod years ago... I just recently looked into it, and it even already has Dogfight-versions of the Shivan primaries, one of the few things that could be used for balancing.
Seeing that Shivan ships aren't too advantageous in retail   (it seems to me - please correct me if I'm wrong)   , I have slightly increased those dogfight-versions' stats...
Seeing that the Kayser is said to be reverse- engineered Shivan tech, I'd think it'd be legitimate to add it to the Shivan ships loadouts, too.

I'm not sure what missions I made for it - propably only the gauntlets and a few dogfights, not sure... So I - or someone else - would likely have to do a bit FREDing for this.

Well, I'm just posting this to see how many interest there is, and how the chances for validation are...

Another point would be to include it into Squadwar, once that starts again - I don't think I would have too much time for that, but the idea of playing with a Shivan squad would be quite nice... :)  °o°                   ( <- Shivan smiley ;) )

So - how's it? Chance of validation, interest, balancing ideas, anything? :)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Getting something Shivan validated for multi?
We do have plans on getting all the Shivan fighters/bombers working in MULTI.  It will probably be awhile before that happens as the current priority is bug fixing the existing stuff.  Once they are in MULTI valid missions can be created with them and stats will store.

Any missions that don't require a mod can be submitted here for now.  Just post a link to the mission and we will add it to the testing list.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mav

Will they also be allowed & balanced for Squadwar??  ^^
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Yes but both sides will have access to the same ships and weapons.  So not GTVA vs Shivans or anything like that.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mav

Not?

Aww, thats sad... :( :sigh:

Still, better that than no Shivans at all, I guess... :)

(also, if there had been Shivan squads, why not make separate Terran and Vasudan Squads - assorting them with NTF and HoL respectively? ;7
Would pose trouble in balancing GTVA-squads at the same time, though...)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The problem with missions for SquadWar is that they have to be balanced to give both sides exactly the same capabilities. That's a task that gets infinitely more complicated when you have two sides with different ships and weapons.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mav

I know. That's why I suggested to make a special mod just for that balancing. :)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, no. Not for SquadWar.

Also, how do you propose to do that balancing? Consider that even minor changes can affect balance in a big way. An example would be the Erinyes in the 3.6.10 mvps before the patch.

Also, please remember that we simply do NOT have the player base to run extensive betas, a step that is required for any attempt like this.

Offline Mav

Also, please remember that we simply do NOT have the player base to run extensive betas, a step that is required for any attempt like this.
Yeah ok... I see that in this case, balancing likely won't happen. That's a sad thing, though... :(
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The problem with missions for SquadWar is that they have to be balanced to give both sides exactly the same capabilities. That's a task that gets infinitely more complicated when you have two sides with different ships and weapons.

I'm curious, why is it that every SquadWar mission has to be perfectly symmetric? Couldn't there be some sort of 'challenge' or 'bonus' missions... (Just ideas)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because SquadWar, traditionally, is all about player skill. The easiest way to make sure that player skill decides a battle is to give both sides the same possibilities.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Odd, Counter-Strike is one of the most popular multiplayer games of all time, and it's based on completely asymmetrical game play.  Is there any way to give both teams the chance to play both sides of an asymmetrical mission and then go off of a combined score or something?  Or are all battles decided by just one engagement?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Traditionally, it was one engagement only. I guess if you make it a best-of-<uneven number>, you could get away with it being asymmetrical.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well I was thinking more along the lines of make it point based and play an even number on each side.  Would call for shorter engagements though so the overall battle doesn't take too long.  Just a thought.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays