Author Topic: Command briefings for multiplayer?  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Parias

Command briefings for multiplayer?
Over the last few major build releases of the SCP for FS2, I've noticed the inclusion of co-op compatible missions from the entire campaign. Though buggy in a few respects (missing asteroid fields, events being triggered out of order for client versus player, etc), they were huge amounts of fun for our LAN parties. We tend to prefer games that offer complete co-op support for the entire singleplayer campaign, versus the limited (if entertaining) secondary mission sets FS1 and FS2 originally offered.

One problem however was that the multiplayer UI doesn't have any support for command briefings, so we missed out on the techanim movies and the actual command briefing texts had to be crammed into the normal mission briefings instead. An understandable workaround given the typical limitations of FS2's interface design, but I'm curious if with the latest builds of FS2 if this has been addressed at all.

In particular I'd love to resurrect my skills with FRED and port over the Freespace 1 campaign for co-op play as well (if nobody's done it already), but I'd rather only do it if we can get the "full experience" per-say. Has there been any progress to this end? I've tried doing some looking around with the forum's search feature, but haven't really picked up any relevant hits.

Thanks.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Command briefings for multiplayer?
I second this both because I prefer co-op play an i think it would encourage development of co-op campaigns or at least the conversion of existing campaigns to co-op
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I seem to remember looking into this and realising there was a damn good reason why command briefs don't work in multiplayer. I think it was something to do with another sync being required (i.e you have to make sure everyone is out of the command briefing before you start setting up the mission briefing or people end up not being set up correctly and all hell breaks loose).

In other words, if I'm right, it would be very difficult to add command briefings back in.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:22:43 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Sorry, it's most likely going to be adapted 'briefings' if you want to fix it \;
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking from a completely non-technical standpoint, as an alternative, would it be possible to enable briefing stages to play an .ani/.eff file in place of the standard briefing grid?  That'd at least allow for the illusion of command briefing stages.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
What happens if the person doesn't have the .ani/.eff?  Only mission files xfer not voice or animations or anything else. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Then it would stay blank, presumably.  But this isn't an issue in this particular case, since Parias is talking about the FS1/2 retail missions, whose .ani files would be present regardless.

Offline Parias

Curses! Thanks for the quick response - that makes sense from a technical standpoint. Ah well, we'll just have to make do for the time being then.