Author Topic: RELEASE - Aftermath 2.0  (Read 22215 times)

Re: RELEASE - Aftermath 2.0
est1895:

Re-name your "fsport-mediavps" folder to "fsport_mediavps"; then edit the mod.ini to reflect that folder name.

Like this:

Code: [Select]
[launcher]
image255x112 = Aftermath.bmp;
infotext     = Command desperately attempts to contain the plague in the Epsilon Pegasi system. A quarantine is placed upon the system and the pilots onboard the GTI special operations destroyer GTD Ark Royal are tasked with keeping the quarantine. At all costs.;

[multimod]

secondarylist = fsport_mediavps,fsport,mediavps; 

Capture of the folder structure attached.

I had the same error; this worked for me.  I think the dash (-mediavps) is being read as a command line.  There may be a better answer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I've completed it... :wtf:

EDIT: Just played through it again to make sure I didn't cheat and make the ship invisible the first time.  I had the ship down to 89 when I disabled its engines.  The Manticore wings are rough, because they always launch a salvo, but it's definitely not impossible to save the ship.  I did it on Hard and the Faustus was saved with 9% left.  It was fairly hard, because even when under attack the Manticores wouldn't break off.

Nevertheless, this mission may suffer from the same issue that the Hammer and the Anvil mission in the Port does.  Hostile fighters seem to be more effective with missiles, and this mission makes that obvious.
I just completed it because the second wave for some reason decided to Not launch a missile salvo. The ship could be pulled out with 9% hull left. Had they decided they wanted to fire a missile salvo afterall there was nothing I could have done.
This mission seriously needs to be recheck for balance. It shouldn't require the luck of not having an enemy wing fire a missile salvo to complete the mission. Either give the faustus a bit of a hitpoint boost or spawn those manticores like 1000 meters further away so you can actually intercept them before they are in missile range.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

This mission seriously needs to be recheck for balance. It shouldn't require the luck of not having an enemy wing fire a missile salvo to complete the mission. Either give the faustus a bit of a hitpoint boost or spawn those manticores like 1000 meters further away so you can actually intercept them before they are in missile range.

That is the point.
I played this mission yesterday and also failed. (and this on very Easy)
Rebalance of this mission is also required.

Greetings from good old Germany

Peter

/EDIT

Cheaters Party ????
Now i played mission 3 and must cheat again to not fail.
Sorry this is not funny and i abort Aftermath for now.

I dont like to cheat in the most missions.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:27:42 pm by Renegade »

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
"I had the ship down to 89 when I disabled its engines." quote from Solatar.  "after disabling it with only distrupters it only has like 46% health left" quote from Spoon.
All the missions retain the original gameplay from the initial release for FS1.  None of the testers identified any problems with mission 2 and 3.  I'm not really sure why you are having problems with these missions.  The other thing I don't understand is why the disruptors are reducing the Faustus's hull strength.  Disruptors only affect the subsystem.  Do you have some extra weapons table somewhere?  Make sure you have only the disruptor selected and don't use any missiles.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The primary problem is with the manticores. They just spawn to close and do too much unavoidable damage with their missiles.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Those who say that any of those missions are unwinnable without cheating are wrong. I went through the whole campaign in Medium without any problem.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Those who say that any of those missions are unwinnable without cheating are wrong. I went through the whole campaign in Medium without any problem.
NO U
derp derp derp

You sure have a lot of usefulness to add there Geek. "I didn't had a problem so that means you don't have a problem either."  :sigh:
Sure I finished that mission.... after 4-5 tries and finally getting a lucky break because the A.I. decided not to fire a missile barrage in one wave. Renegade even played it on very easy and had problems finishing that mission.
Urutorahappī!!

Spoon i agree you 100%  :)

Now not all gamer are Freespace veterans.. and for a Hobby player those missions are to hard.
The respawn Point from the Manticores must be more far away (1000 Meters?) from the Faustus or even the Faustus need more HP.

I dislike Missions the give you a kick in your Ass and must retry,retry retry or cheat.

I Played for example: Blue Planet with 1 Cheat in forced entry
I Played trough, Stormfront I,II, Derelict, Sync, Transcend and many more Campaigns without any Cheat, but in Aftermath i cheated in 2 from 3 Missions. I don't like this.

So sorry for my rusty English....so far..

Greetings Peter

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Forced entry ? Again ?
Look http://www.xfire.com/video/1b545d/ and tell me how it's even possible to fail this mission. I think it's not a problem with the way  missions were designed (were it Forced Entry, this Aftermath mission or whatever), nor a problem with you guys, nor with your flying skills or whatever, but that it comes from two things :

- First : missions may not be balanced for Very Easy. Remember your wingmates are much weaker in lower difficulties. As I read somewhere, in Easy, you do all the job for them (this is where the "über Alpha One" jokes come) and in Hard, the wingmen do the job for you. So contrary to what people use to think, lowering the difficulty can be a cause for mission breaking. Playing in Medium is usually the jake-of-all-trade for first playthroughs of a campaign.

- Second : don't always try a mission the same way. If something goes wrong, that may be because you didn't played the mission as it was supposed to be made. It may come from a fredder careless mistake, or on the contrary from a well-made mission were you didn't listened to your wingmen's or Command's advices (who said STR ? :p).

So here, the problem is most likely coming from the first reason. Try and play in medium, use your wingmen cleverly, and everything should go smoothly.

And I'm absolutely no FS veteran. I play this game for something like 3 or 4 months, and never ever played a space shooter before. So I would surely be the newbie one here. That's why I don't understand how come people fail missions I run smoothly.

And personally I never cheated. Mainly because I don't know how to :p

EDIT : If you still have problems with this mission, tell here. I can play through it again and post a playthrough video such as the one above.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The other thing I don't understand is why the disruptors are reducing the Faustus's hull strength.  Disruptors only affect the subsystem.
Nope; look at the weapons table.  Disruptors do exactly as much damage per second against hulls as ML-16s. :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yes well that's fine and all but I ALWAYS play on medium.
But please, do make a playthrough vid of that mission. I'm interested in seeing how you some how manage to deal with the manticores in the split second they aren't in range to fire their missiles.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Solatar

Oddly enough, I find it nearly impossible to complete on Medium, but I can do it nearly every time on Hard.

It probably has something to do with my wingmen actually helping me out.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I must suck at FS too much since I played that mission 3 times on medium and 2 times on very easy with no luck, then I gave up completely. Maybe you should check the entry point of those fighters as suggested before, it will not harm the campaign at all.
el hombre vicio...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Playthrough done in Medium, it's encoding and uploading, I should be able to show you a link in a few minutes. The science cruiser was 32% hull integrity after the three waves of Manticores.
Hey, if you find any other "undoable" mission in any campaign and want a playthrough video, just tell me :D

EDIT : Here you go : http://fr.xfire.com/video/1b9923/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:22:42 am by MatthTheGeek »

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
The other thing I don't understand is why the disruptors are reducing the Faustus's hull strength.  Disruptors only affect the subsystem.
Nope; look at the weapons table.  Disruptors do exactly as much damage per second against hulls as ML-16s. :)

According to the wiki the ML-16 does a damage of 5 per shot to armor, but the disruptor does .875 So I see how it could do some damage but not the same as the ML-16.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Then the wiki is wrong.  They have the same damage per second according to the tables:

Code: [Select]
          Damage / Fire Wait * Armor Factor = DPS
ML-16      5      / .2        * 1            = 25
Disruptor  15     / .3        * 0.5          = 25

EDIT: Actually, I did forget one part of the equation.  As a puncture weapon, the Disruptor has an additional .25 multiplier, so its actual DPS is 6.25.  That's still much higher than .875 though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:54:46 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Playthrough done in Medium, it's encoding and uploading, I should be able to show you a link in a few minutes. The science cruiser was 32% hull integrity after the three waves of Manticores.
Hey, if you find any other "undoable" mission in any campaign and want a playthrough video, just tell me :D

EDIT : Here you go : http://fr.xfire.com/video/1b9923/
I can't help but notice you are already moving toward the warp in points of the manticores and even then they manage to get a few missiles off. If you are playing the mission for a first time you cannot know where the manticores will warp in, so you'll likely just stick close with the transport. Meaning you don't have those extra seconds to get shots in and disturb their formation.
Did you actually managed to beat this mission on your first try?
In my book, a mission is poorly designed if you need advance knowledge to complete it.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I did manage to complete it on the first try IIRC, but it might have been only due to luck though.

So yeah, this mission may need to be rebalanced. But I won't say it's unbeatable, like you and the others said above.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
But I won't say it's unbeatable, like you and the others said above.
Right, only I already said twice now that I did beat it  :rolleyes:
Urutorahappī!!

So now i tried the third mission again and finished yeah...
But mission 2 must be rebalanced please.

Greetings Peter