Author Topic: Huge pictures - Bastion Main Hall (very high res)  (Read 10466 times)

Huge pictures - Bastion Main Hall (very high res)

Recovered from the (dead) FS1 website
Restoring the Incursion Campaign (Paused) - HTL Alastor - New Bastion Mainhall (restarted due to corrupt model)

------- User away until March 3.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Huge pictures - Bastion Main Hall (very high res)
You crazy pumpkin, that's bigger than the fuel bill for the Sathanas fleet. . .
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Nice to see this isn't lost to eternity. Without matching high-res animations it's not really usable as a mainhall, though :(

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Nice to see this isn't lost to eternity. Without matching high-res animations it's not really usable as a mainhall, though :(

Its a shame the beauty of the image is lost in the conversion to FS main hall
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

But if we want new anis, it would be better if we use this picture as a template to remake the mainhall. New anis with the hi-poly models... it would be great. I could do it, since my HTL Alastor was lost with the whole OS of this PC :sigh:. The mainhall model needs a lot of lights (At least, :v: modellers think so). Well, as Alpha 2 said, "Let's get to work" :warp:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:24:12 pm by Admiral_Petrarch »
Restoring the Incursion Campaign (Paused) - HTL Alastor - New Bastion Mainhall (restarted due to corrupt model)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Despite its massive resolution, I still see sharp polygons...

...and grainy pixels.  :P
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well DUH!

High-res renders aren't supposed to be anti-aliased... they're meant to be scaled down and made into smooth-looking renders!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And those are pretty clearly the retail ship models plopped in there.  Why re-model what you already have on-hand? :p

And those are pretty clearly the retail ship models plopped in there.  Why re-model what you already have on-hand? :p

Because we need matching ANIs, and I think the hi-poly Ursa, Medusa and Herc I (the picture has at least 5 hercs) would look better.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No, I meant that from :v:'s perspective.  Of course we'd want to use the shiny stuff now. :p

No, I meant that from :v:'s perspective.  Of course we'd want to use the shiny stuff now. :p

Oh, well we know that :v: used Max (With probably the default scanline renderer). If the new model uses mentalray (and the mentalray materials) it would be (near)photorealistic. At least, more realistic than the :v: one. For now, we have this one, and you can post suggestions to make this new one better :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:36:45 pm by Admiral_Petrarch »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Another capital ship in view through the hangar. Either passing by or constantly hanging in the background. A few marines patrolling the flight deck or even a fighter exiting subspace I mean landing properly would be good. Or etc etc etc. . .  
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
This is what I precieve to be the landing sequence on an Orion:

The fighter rapidly decelerates while flying down the strip, then slowly enters the bay, gradually coming to a near stop. The retrieval arm then grasps the fighter and places it upon a landing fork.  :nod:

Upon launch, the arm grasps the fighter, turns it into position, and releases. The fighter dips a bit and pitches up slightly (overcoming the artificial gravity of the bay, perhaps?) while slowly moving out of the bay's atmosphere. Think about it - you really don't want what probably amounts to a nuclear engine blaring at full power inside of a launch bay with an atmosphere. Then after lining up with the strip (outside of the bay, of course), the fighter comes to an apparent stop, the strip lights up, the fighter punches down on the throttle and rapidly zips down the line!

...Sounds good to me...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

That's pretty much how I imagine launches from the hanger are conducted. If the mainhall were to be remodelled, it should include the "runway" or strip, like you say, and maybe part of the fore section of the Orion's main hull too, assuming the viewpoint is kept the same.

I remember a thread about ship landing gear that diverged into a discussion about how this "mainhall" does not represent the Orion's hangar, because the runway and main hull section are not shown - you'd probably just see the hull from that viewpoint. Furthermore the two Hercs outside the hangar/mainhall look as though they are on a collision course for the main hull section. I see these as just inconsistencies though, and that what we're looking at is supposed to be the actual hangar. But you could take an alternative view and suggest that it's a ship maintenance area with a large multi-functional screen used for announcements from the bridge or something, and that when it's in "standby mode" it shows a view of the outside.

Anyway, a remodelled mainhall sounds like a nice idea.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:43:45 am by lostllama »

The one thing that irked me about this main hall was the fact that even though Terrans/Vasudans had just obtained shield technology, how do they maintain the atmosphere in this main hall.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Transparent aluminium? Or will handwavium field. . .
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The one thing that irked me about this main hall was the fact that even though Terrans/Vasudans had just obtained shield technology, how do they maintain the atmosphere in this main hall.

perhaps they use an energy field that woks well on slow airflow but useless at rapidly moving objects, an ionizing field would probably do a good job at keeping air (though not heat) in the landing bay while allow faster moving fighters relatively unhindered access without having to manipulate the field
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Perhaps it was intended that the Orion have multiple launch bays? I do recall from playing the original FS campaign (NOT playing FS Port) that the Galatea's escape shuttles were ejected from the left side of the hull, not over the strip...

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Perhaps it was intended that the Orion have multiple launch bays? I do recall from playing the original FS campaign (NOT playing FS Port) that the Galatea's escape shuttles were ejected from the left side of the hull, not over the strip...

true but they could also have been launched from dedicated escape hatches

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That's more sensible and a good point. I hate to say this, but perhaps someone should try and email  :v: about the issue? Perhaps one of the original art staffers is on hand...

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke