Author Topic: FreeAllegiance !  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
Allegiance is a game who was made by Microsoft, but they released the source code.
Since then, fans keep working on it... (looks like FSO huh ?)

It's some Tactical/Technical/Whatever-al space combat game
You can only play it in multiplayer (there are just a few solo training missions)
It works with a server-game system : a server hosts a game, which has defined settings and so on.

In those games, 2 to 6 Teams with different factions (afaik there is 6 or 7) fight each others
This include : Mining He3 from asteroids with Miner vessels (they're automated drones), building bases with the constructors, and of course fighting others.

But it's not just random dogfighting : you have to place probes in order to detect ennemies, provide nanite or turret support, even ram bombers on a bomber run to make em go to the enemy base faster !
There are also teleporters which are very important.

Well that's a quite complex and fun game...
I though some people here would be interested in it, then it's here : www.freeallegiance.org

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Interesting to see such a thread. I did once talk about Allegiance here, and wanted to tell you guys that Release 5 is now out.

The game is more polished than ever.

Here is a rather nice promo video highlighting some of the look and feel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgBfcfLmyKM

There are eight distinct factions battling over resources in the post apocalyptic world of Allegiance. Gameplay is team based PvP, where cooperation and situational awareness is at least as important than dogfighting skill. The ships have full 3D freedom of movement (ability to thrust in any direction) and full inertia. A rather ingenious mix of real physics and fun makes Allegiance feel like true Sci-Fi, and the fighting very interesting indeed.

Iron Coalition interceptor cruising

Constructor under attack:

Rixians attacking a Gigacorp bomber.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well, it certainly looks dated in comparison to FSO!

Regardless, that does actually look pretty cool...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
The search function is fun.[/offtopic]

--

I didn't care for this when I tried it years ago. It seemed like an awful lot of trouble for no fun.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I tried it... Played one game... it was kind of fun. I don't know why I never played again. Anyway, I don't have it on this computer.

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Allegiance is one of those games where you can't expect to get it immedeately.

The challenge is in a different order of difficulty to just blowing stuff up in X-wing or Freespace. You are always against other human players, both in the strategic conquer & hold sectors and win the economy war, as well as the dogfighting aspect.

The video I linked is sadly very old, and doesn't have the new high res graphics.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Sushi endorses Allegiance. :)

Not nearly as pretty as FSOpen, and no single player whatsoever, but the game still kicks seven kinds of butt. Basically, take the team-based dynamics of something like TF2, add some RTS concepts into the mix (tech tree, economy, central commander ordering units around), put it all in space, and you've got Alleg.

It can definitely be difficult to get into, though: there's a lot of in-house jargon and tactical concepts that a good number of players will just assume you already know. But if you're willing to push past that initial learning curve, there's an immensely satisfying game waiting. Few multiplayer games have ever had me sweating as much as Alleg. When it's good, it's very good.

@Adept: Hiyo! I recommend using the lvlshot tags instead of img tags for large screenshots: they scale automatically to window width, and you can click for a larger image.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
*squints*

It reminds me of Savage, in a way.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:36:56 pm by Stormkeeper »
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
*squints*

It isn't that bad.  :P

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Savage did copy the basic idea. Well spotted.  :yes:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
too bad it stopped working for me... :(

I miss my nan trains and alpeh-mining. (I so do enjoy runnign to the enemy base and mining the ever loving **** of the hangar exits  :drevil: )
I miss coordinated Stealth Bomber runs.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
!!

When did it stop working? R5 is out now, and it fixed a lot of issues.

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
The search function is fun.[/offtopic]

I didn't care for this when I tried it years ago. It seemed like an awful lot of trouble for no fun.

Actually i tried searching, but "Allegiance" returns too many results and "FreeAllegiance" just returns a single old post.

BTW It's working well if you follow the aditionnal instructions on the website (they're having some troubles with the Updater and DirectX on some new releases)

Too bad it's not working on Linux o_O
I guess i'll have to get it to work on Wine

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Too bad it's not working on Linux o_O
I guess i'll have to get it to work on Wine
Allegiance itself runs fine on Wine (don't we all) but the secure login system doesn't.

You need windows for Allegiance. Sorry.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
It isn't that bad.  :P
I didn't say it was bad! I loved Savage! If not for Savage 2, I would still be playing Savage, ripping opponents to shred on my home server and being ripped to shreds on the Aussie servers.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
!!

When did it stop working? R5 is out now, and it fixed a lot of issues.

Rly? I may have to look at it again :P

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Rly? I may have to look at it again :P
Excellent. What's your Allegiance callsign?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Offline Narvi

Hmmm...

NamhsarT.