Author Topic: Why is the model of the 3D shockwave the way it is?  (Read 19975 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Why is the model of the 3D shockwave the way it is?
Meh.... those "3D" (READ: planar) shockwaves always looked terrible to me.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nighteyes

now the trivial question: what is actually preventing the engine to selectably force the normal of the wave pointing towards the player or not? Wouldn't that render the 2D wave completely obsolete?

Having said that it's a pity we have to wait for ED coming out to use it!

I agree, making the shockwave pof always face the player will give us 2 main advantages over the 2D shockwaves...
1. higher rez shockwave with the same texture memory
2. the 2D plane won't turn(move to always face the player) as the player moves his ship, it will act as a 3D object, stationary and with depth... IMO a very nice tuch

why can't the host player in multiplayer be the one the shockwave normal is determined by? others players will view the shockwave from different angles, but when you think about it it won't be any different from what we have now(random shockwaves)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
2. the 2D plane won't turn(move to always face the player) as the player moves his ship, it will act as a 3D object, stationary and with depth... IMO a very nice tuch

While I'm with you on other points, this doesn't make any sense. Shockwaves are spherical.

Offline Nighteyes

While I'm with you on other points, this doesn't make any sense. Shockwaves are spherical.

it does make sence, maybe I wasn't clear... were not discussing on how to make spherical shockwaves, as we all agree its currently not possible, what we are talking about is making the current ones look better, and using a pof model will achive this :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Right, but from a physical standpoint the shockwave should always face the observer.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I don't think there's any reason the normal of an effect needs to be server controlled, the normal could just as easily be determined by the client side, so every client sees the same flat disc, if that were possible in single player.  I don't know why that would need to be server controlled.  Although, some people like their 3d shockwaves to be visible from different angles.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I think you actually are with him - somehow at least. He is talking about a circle of which the normal always faces the player - so he always will see the wave a circle which is the best simulation of a real sphere the engine could achieve at the moment. On the multiplayer issue, couldn't it be done to force the forced normal, while in single player people could choose between locked normal and free which would correspond to "3D in 2D manner" and "3D classic"?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Nope, in that quote there, he specified a circle whose normal didn't always face the player.

Offline Nighteyes

Nope, in that quote there, he specified a circle whose normal didn't always face the player.

No, with that quote I was refering to the way 2D planes always move with the camera, giving away the illusion of a 2D plane, I do want the shockwave always to face the camera, I just meant that having a pof model will work better then the 2D plane method

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
The end effect is the same. It will look the same too.

comparing the 2D variant on page 2 and the latest 3D version of him I beg to differ....

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
the latest 3D version of him I beg to differ....

Screenies anyone?

Offline Nighteyes

don't speak if you don't know what you'r talking about please, there is a huge difference, both in the resolution used for the effect and by the way it renders as well... :wtf:

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
I mean the overall feel of it. The angled planar and the 2D one have completely different "feels".

a 3D one will look sharper, because of higher-res.
I'm using a 2D one exclusively, but I would switch to a 3D one if it was always facing the player.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
If the 3d shockwave was always facing the player like the 2d shockwave, it would kinda lose the purpose if you ask me
What makes 3d shockwaves so great is that you can actually 'ride the shockwave'
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I mean the overall feel of it. The angled planar and the 2D one have completely different "feels".

a 3D one will look sharper, because of higher-res.
I'm using a 2D one exclusively, but I would switch to a 3D one if it was always facing the player.

Facing? As in the visible plane is perpendicular to your viewpoint? Or parallel to it?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well, lets wait and see what the particle system rework will make possible.

If it has enough options, a spherical shockwave with particles would be awesome. (In combination with a PP distortion effect.)

Somewhat like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKK5gumNap8
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Kolgena

Are you sure about this? I thought the 2D ones always spawned behind ships, but if the 3D one spawns in the ships, there might be wonky clipping happening as you fly tight circles around the exploding ship.

Also, that Transformers explosion looks awesome, but would definitely rape my video card :)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Also, that Transformers explosion looks awesome, but would definitely rape my video card :)

It's just particles, moving at the same speed away from the origin into random directions. I doubt a PC that can handle the current FSO version + MediaVPs will have any problems with an effect like that.

I'm pretty sure the new particle code will be way more efficient than the current one... cause that's not very difficult... :D
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Nighteyes

a simple sphere of paricles won't look good, it will need special shades on them to add refraction/heat distorshen to them and of course a falloff so the ones right infront of you won't show up, only the outer ones will... :)