Author Topic: So Who's Actually Seen Galactica?  (Read 7699 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: 10-01-11 - Kicking Off The New Year
Lol differential respective fail.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
nvm, teh silly

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
It's the old series with a facelift.

It's really not. Watch it and see. If you have and still think that then the point is moot since no amount of me explaining it is likely to have an effect.

Wait, what? I thought you said you hadn't seen any BSG at all...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Ploy to appear blasphemous among the show's fans. :P

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
This needs to avoid a GD twist.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I think it's time we get this thread cleaned up. Why does this always happen....
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Aries is non-canon, we have our own designs for the fleet based around combined-arms concepts.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Narvi

Re: So Who's Actually Seen Galactica?
I watched a lot of it because it was the only sci-fi show around for a good while, but in retrospect I didn't like it much. The characters grated on me, the concepts and themes were annoying, and the show seemed to expect me to approve of its simplistic criticism of the human race.

The Terminator show appealed to me a lot more even if it was canceled, and at the very least the showrunners had an idea of where they were going to go with most of its plot threads. BSG, like most modern thrillers, was really "make it up as you go along". This isn't bad, (not every show can be Babylon 5,) but they really wrote themselves into a corner because of their use of Cylon arrival as dramatic device near the end.

The Cylons were also used rather unimaginatively, for a robot species. I suppose you could argue that it wouldn't be "real human drama" if the Cylons had motivations which humans couldn't relate to, but I don't see the point of making Cylons robots and then amping up the drama of human relationship to their creations when their creations turn out to be adolescent idiots with adolescent motivations. I suspect that this is the reason the writers made the Cylons that were as well; look at how the Centurions were swept under the rug near the end of the show. Nobody cares about the toasters who look like toasters instead of hot women!

Oh, well, I expect too much.

Art style was pretty boss though. Which is why I'm looking forward to this mod.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Most of the Cylons ended up being awesome actors, though.

S3 and S4 weren't that great, but S1 and S2 are probably the best televised SF we've ever had (and some of the greatest television of any genre ever.) Critical consensus is very favorable.

If there's one thing Galactica never was, it was simplistic. Rarely a one-sided lesson or morality play to it.

BSG was naturalistic SF; wherever possible it tried to be like real life. Part of the genius of the Cylons was that they were effectively indistinguishable from humans on every level, not just the physical one, challenging our notions of what it meant to be human and what it meant to be an object.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Bird Farm In Space FTW.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Narvi

No, the Cylons were human. Completely human. That was the problem. They could even interbreed and provide viable offspring for crying out loud. That's why they were uninteresting. 

Anyway, written sci-fi has been doing this sort of "what is human" thing for years. Most shows like this are basically televised versions of what have come before. Even Star Trek was... er... I don't know, derived is probably the best word... derived off existing written sci-fi, and many major sci-fi authors wrote episodes for it. Which is why it was a classic. Galactica isn't the first to raise the question, and it's not the best story of its kind out there.

Galactica completely ignored the "what is human" theme later in favor of a "don't persecute" theme. It tried to make it interesting by going "don't persecute your creations"... but... they're just people who can stick wires and stuff into their bodies and upload their personalities into clone bodies, so it comes off as more of "cycle of revenge" story, which while relevant, isn't exactly high concept stuff. It seems cowardly (but expected to be palatable for a television audience) to make the Cylons completely like humans near the end and present that as the only right option. Why couldn't the humans have become more Cylon like? Could the Cylons only become acceptable by being absorbed into humanity by becoming more human? Does assimilation only have to go one way? I wouldn't mind how the show had concluded if they had even raised these questions.   Instead they ignored it in favor of characters, which isn't really bad, but it's not what I like.

(They don't even keep the cloning bit, they just decide to go with what God wants and start breeding like normal people. Way to go Cy-humans.)

Cavil was totally right in that case, hell he even had an awesome rant where he tells somebody that "dude, why did you make me suck so much when you could have given me senses that could see into the ultraviolet", a question which could have been interesting if they handled it correctly, but no, he had to be malicious and evil and completely unrelatable.

What does "naturalistic" even mean anyway? I think you mean the first two seasons. The last two went completely overboard with the mystical elements, even making it part of the technology they used.

This is why I like The Sarah Connor Chronicles so much. The show has a fair amount of flaws, but at least it tried to handle the problems in integrating AIs and humans instead of sweeping it under the rug.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
later

near the end a

how the show had concluded

I think you mean the first two seasons

Reread my last post, plzkthnx.

Offline newman

This is why I like The Sarah Connor Chronicles so much. The show has a fair amount of flaws, but at least it tried to handle the problems in integrating AIs and humans instead of sweeping it under the rug.

First season of SCC was ok but in my opinion nowhere near the quality level of bsg. Second season? I continually had a feeling that the writers have no idea where to go next. Kept waiting for it to start and then it ended. Wasn't surprised at all when it got canceled. But that's me.. some shows you either like or you don't. Personally, I'm with Batutta - I consider the first two seasons of BSG as some of the best sci fi ever filmed. Season 3 had some awesome and some really horrible bits, and overall I found s4 quite good. Nothing beats the mini though - it remains being the best of BSG for me.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Swift

• Swiftly Irritating
<--------- BSG freak. Enough said, really. Watched it all twice (two and a half times, to be more precise) and loved almost every minute of it. It's a beautiful thing, the show, and it only gets more beautiful with time and adoration you put into it.
"Aim high. You may miss, but at least you won't shoot your foot off."

Offline Demitri

Gotta agree with Gen B and newman. Just recently re watched the first 2 seasons. Only reason i haven't watched season 3 again is i cant bloody find it (tho that may be a blessing in disguise as was pretty poor compared to the earlier seasons) Was just going to skip to season 4 but didn't feel right. plus i wanted to watch the beast's last stand :(
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Completely different shows. The new one is one of the best TV shows of the last...well, sixty years or so.

You hear this every year about this show or that.  Most are a disappointment, but in this case, it was actually true.  Almost every episode had a cliffhanger, making it hard to 'put down'.  Tha acting was far superior to the original, the 're-imagined' story was 'way better.  Not to mention the eye candy!  Can't really fault the original show on the ancient technology; baby cgi for TV back then.  I liked the projectile weapons on the ships better than the lasers. 

The show attracted people from outside the genre, as it was a great drama set is space, as opposed to a great space show, imho.

I see there's a "who has seen less bsg" contest going on. Fine, I'll bite - I have never seen an episode of Battlestar Galactica in my life. Beat that!

What's Battlestar Galactica?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
You hear this every year about this show or that.  Most are a disappointment, but in this case, it was actually true.  Almost every episode had a cliffhanger, making it hard to 'put down'.  Tha acting was far superior to the original, the 're-imagined' story was 'way better.  Not to mention the eye candy!  Can't really fault the original show on the ancient technology; baby cgi for TV back then.  I liked the projectile weapons on the ships better than the lasers. 

Babylon 5 had "baby cgi" BSG '78 was all model work.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I read through the bsg wikipedia-  someone here posted a link to a cylon colony or something.

I hit random page and it took me to the 'Earth' page. I read it and got pretty much spoilered to death lol.

But at least now i'm vaguely inclined to buy some dvds.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Hotdog

To those who havnt seen it I just have to say this spoiler.
BSG takes place a long time ago in a solar system far far away!

And to previous posts that said cylons were human.They definitely wernt.They were made basically like how the Terminators(from the terminator movies obviously) made their synethic skin but went another step forword and made synthetic organs as well.There actually more like the robots from bladerunner in that regard.

For those who also like Terminator heres an awesome terminator/BSG music vid that should make you want to watch bsg even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vxQl7977BE
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:18:27 pm by Hotdog »
"Life here began out there"-Sacred Scrolls