Author Topic: FreeSpace Evolutions mod for Nexus  (Read 44395 times)

Offline Arparso

Re: FreeSpace Evolutions mod for Nexus
Looking forward to it :)

So I ran through the four missions that were included. Nothing in skirmisher yet. What you have here is really good. You've managed to actually capture the Freespace feel in this little mod, instead of just slapping a Deimos skin on something like some of the early FS RTS mods I played for Nexus and Homeworld. I haven't hit any bugs of any  sort, and the Duel level offered a nice test bed for all the ships. The only suggestion that I would make is that you tone down the damage and firing rate on the Blob turrets, since not only do the capship fights go a little too quickly, they're often over before beams even come into play. Also, I dunno whether or not it's hardcoded, but the damage from capital ship explosions is also pretty devastating. During the Nebula fight the Vasudans killed the Moloch when it was right in the middle of their formation, and all three of them as well as the other two Shivan ships immediately detonated.  It was extremely pretty though.

All in all, what you've done is awesome, and I would love for you too keep going, maybe get some Destroyers in there too. Excellent work.

Offline Infamus

;7 And I have this game too.

Buhhahahaha.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline -Norbert-

I ran into a strange situation twice now. The enemy ship (one time Shivan one time Vasudan), is flying away from me. I can only close like 2 meters per second in, untill I get to a bit under 5000 km.
Then the enemy ship opens up with it's blobs, while my ship still doesn't fire. Also the distance stops to diminish and I end up getting blown to bits without a chance to return fire.

Same thing just happened to me in the Duel mission. Speaking of,  are Shivan ships faster then their Terran/Vasudan counterparts? That Lillith was hauling ass.

Offline Arparso

Also, I dunno whether or not it's hardcoded, but the damage from capital ship explosions is also pretty devastating. During the Nebula fight the Vasudans killed the Moloch when it was right in the middle of their formation, and all three of them as well as the other two Shivan ships immediately detonated.
Sounds pretty epic :)

But yeah, the damage from exploding ships is quite huge right now. This is not something I've set deliberately, though - the game calculates the amount of damage on its own, so I still need to investigate on what factors influence the amount of damage and if I can do something about it.

Quote from: Norbert
I ran into a strange situation twice now. The enemy ship (one time Shivan one time Vasudan), is flying away from me. I can only close like 2 meters per second in, untill I get to a bit under 5000 km.
Any specific mission where this happened? This is basically the default behaviour of the AI ... if it hasn't got any specific orders, it'll try to run away from any threat. If you haven't got the faster ship, you won't have a chance to ever catch up to it.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I assume this is not standalone, right? :(
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline -Norbert-

Any specific mission where this happened? This is basically the default behaviour of the AI ... if it hasn't got any specific orders, it'll try to run away from any threat. If you haven't got the faster ship, you won't have a chance to ever catch up to it.
The first time it appeared in the patrol mission against the Behemoth. I made the mistake of investigating with the vigilant instead of only sending a wing, so the Rakshasa wasn't in range when the Deimos came in and the merry chase began. On 2nd try it worked out all right, since I left the Vigilant were it was untill the shivans jumped in.

The second time was in the mission with the hostile Vasudans and Shivans, that also fight each other in the nebula (brutality?). The Vasudans destroyed the Shivans (together with me, I didn't know they were enemies untill they started to fire at me) and then the Aten charged me, while the others flew away, resulting in the problem, with my Aeolus being able to get close enough to be blown to bits, but not close enough to return fire, while the Deimos was just left behind (and the Fenris being dead from Shivan fire).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:13:11 pm by -Norbert- »

Offline Arparso

I assume this is not standalone, right? :(
Nope, you'll need Nexus to run the mod.

@Norbert:
Thanks for the detailed report! I'll have a look at these missions again to eliminate these problems for future releases :)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I just grabbed a hold of Nexus. I tried getting into it a while back, but couldn't really manage, so I kind of left it. Now, Freespace + Nexus = Motivation to get into it, since I at least need to know the mechanics of the game before I play the Freespace mod.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
This is sweet. Now someone just needs to transplant the main campaign from FS2 to Nexus.

A winner tagline for that would be: "Be Command! Be Competent!"
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

This is sweet. Now someone just needs to transplant the main campaign from FS2 to Nexus.

A winner tagline for that would be: "Be Command! Be Competent!"

This would be an excellent Idea. Also lol.

Hmmm....I should go see how difficult it it to whip up missions in Nexus.

Offline -Norbert-

I guess the easiest missions to remake in Nexus would be the ones from Windmills, since they already are RTS like (coupled with a big dose of psychological evaluation :lol: )

Now, Freespace + Nexus = Motivation to get into it, since I at least need to know the mechanics of the game before I play the Freespace mod.
Evolution plays quite a bit different than Nexus itself. No shields (and thus anti-shield or shield-piercing weapons) and no dedicated anti-subsystem weapons (yet?).

Oh forgot the mention it before, nice work on the independent wings, though the jumpnode picture of the "surrogate mothership" could use some shrinking I think.

Actually I was going to ask about that. Are all Wings going to be brought in via Subspace? Or are Destroyers going to be capable of launching them from their fighter bays? I've never modded Nexus, so I have no idea how it handles these things. 

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There's no reason wings can't be attached to a destroyer or anything else with a fighterbay in Nexus.

Cool. Like I said, I had no Idea if you could have multiple methods of Fighter Delivery in the game, but apparently it's more flexible than I've been lead to believe.

Actually, in the original Nexus, fighters HAD to be carried by something, so it is harder to have them come out of nowhere (subspace), than being carried by a destroyer. (I think)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:09:04 pm by X3N0-Life-Form »

Offline -Norbert-

Yes, but the question is wether it's possible to have two systems for deploying fighters, or wether Arparso had to replace the only mechanic that was there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
All* he did was set up subspace as another parent ship, he didn't replace any mechanics.

*don't get me wrong it's a great solution

What Norbert said. But Now that I understand the setup, as well as feel stupid for not realizing it, my question has been answered.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:59:51 pm by PsychoLandlord »