Author Topic: Volition: Secret Project X  (Read 23172 times)

Re: Volition: Secret Project X
Yes, it was EndWar that used voice commands, and the system was nearly flawless. It did simple things perfectly, and would work very well for Freespace, but for movement locations other than pre-designated points you needed to point and click.

Still, not exactly a problem here. On a side note, look what happens when :v: announces a new project, and here we are discussing ways to improve FS3. I just think its a little premature, but I also hope for an ending to the story one day.

Then again, that situation includes C&C (crap)4. . . .
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wing commander on the super nintendo managed to have every command from the pc original including navmap, cycle MFDS, autopilot interface and election.

The key was holding select down to effectively double the amount of keys and use L + R as modifiers.

I forgot what we were talking about. ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
voice commands would help immersion when used with the com messages
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mxlm

Honestly? I think I'd rather have a Saint's Row 3 with a competent PC port and RFG's geomod than Freespace 3.

Get an attack helicopter, take out an overpass. Or a skyscraper (hmm. Might be too iffy. Then again, committing terrorist acts didn't hurt MW2's bottom line, and SR is way more out there than MW). Or the police HQ. Or whatever.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Desertfox287

• Sweat saves blood-Erwin Rommel
Honestly? I think I'd rather have a Saint's Row 3 with a competent PC port and RFG's geomod than Freespace 3.

Get an attack helicopter, take out an overpass. Or a skyscraper (hmm. Might be too iffy. Then again, committing terrorist acts didn't hurt MW2's bottom line, and SR is way more out there than MW). Or the police HQ. Or whatever.
Really, we already know SR3 is coming out. FS3 would be much better, because it would be more of a surprise than SR3. Plus, the community would expand with new players, content, and more multiplayer. Heck, I'd rather be anything besides SR3 really

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Wing commander on the super nintendo managed to have every command from the pc original including navmap, cycle MFDS, autopilot interface and election.

The key was holding select down to effectively double the amount of keys and use L + R as modifiers.

I forgot what we were talking about. ;)
Rainbow Six uses something similar, holding down some of the buttons on the controller brings up a pie menu.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Would Freespace 3 continue the level of moddability? If it's a new engine I mean. I know red faction 1 had a tool called Red  which was a cross between Fred and UnrealED in it's execution. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on Red Faction 3 yet. But if it has the the same mod tools shipped with it. I'd hope any potential freespace continuation would follow the same trend.

Plus added lazzorrs a kill cam and the ability to carjack.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I doubt FS3 would be moddable. At all. Which is why I don't want it to come out and steamroll us.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
That's my belief too. But we will SURVIVE!
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
But then perhaps someone will port the story and models to be played in FSO, and then we'll win.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
At this point I think the community is self-sufficient enough that a console-oriented and probably unmoddable sequel is unlikely to wound it.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
It would have to be a reboot anyway.

They'd probably just condense the story into one 5 hour game.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
That's a strange assumption. None of Volition's recent games have been short by any means.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I doubt FS3 would be moddable. At all. Which is why I don't want it to come out and steamroll us.
Oh come on, RF:G was released for a console, and it is too moddable if I remember correctly. It has no level creater, I think.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Given what they've seen this community accomplish, I don't think there's any way :v: would release a PC version of a theoretical FS3 without including the requisite modding tools.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

It's not like FS2 would melt if FS3 were to be released. I'd rather have a completed story and have to do modding on FS2 than not have a completed story and still have to do modding on FS2.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Given what they've seen this community accomplish, I don't think there's any way :v: would release a PC version of a theoretical FS3 without including the requisite modding tools.
The entertainment industry isn't exactly a friendly one. If something doesn't make money there is no reason why it should be done.

What's even worse is that if you think about it many recent titles have been made mainly for console, with PC as merely an afterthought. Most PC renditions of games nowadays are usually slapped together ports of their console versions.

It's not like FS2 would melt if FS3 were to be released. I'd rather have a completed story and have to do modding on FS2 than not have a completed story and still have to do modding on FS2.
We already have numerous completed stories - The ones the community makes. Sure they're not canon but look at it this way, the completed storyline can be anything you want.

My point is, if FS3 comes out and it's good then it'd be a good thing If FS3 comes out and it's bad, well ****. Not exactly the end of the world **** but certainly ****.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'd like to have an FS3. The FS2 lead writer is still at Volition, which gives me confidence it would have a truly awesome story.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd like to have an FS3. The FS2 lead writer is still at Volition, which gives me confidence it would have a truly awesome story.
George Lucas.

People can spontaneously lose their minds after a while...

Offline mxlm

What's even worse is that if you think about it many recent titles have been made mainly for console, with PC as merely an afterthought. Most PC renditions of games nowadays are usually slapped together ports of their console versions.
And this is certainly true of Volition's titles; **** you some more, Saints Row PC port!

The FS2 lead writer is still at Volition, which gives me confidence it would have a truly awesome story.

I dunno. The writing in SR2 is agreeably silly and certainly entertaining, but RF:G's writing? Dull.

I mean, I want them to make a FS3, hell yes. I'm just not sure they've done such a great job with story in, well, any game other than FS2.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.