Author Topic: FSF: Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER  (Read 40275 times)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Programers Unite: FreeSpace FOREVER
Originally posted by Warlock

*raises hand*

:P

Should I just put together a work queue form on 404error.com, so I can keep track what I owe to whom? :lol:

Which model do I owe you again, Warlock?
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
You were going to take a stab at that Shivan Mega Destroyer for me :)

After like 500 other guys in line ahead of me of course :lol:

BTW I thought Venom had his Arcadia in FS2 already ?

Still would KILL to get my greedy hands on her :D  LOL
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!

OH YEAH! :D I'm actually working on two Shivan supercaps right now.

I'm doing it for I-war2. :D The geometry is kicking my tail in some places. Its the conversion, not Venom's fault. He did an excellent job modelling her.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
What's this? Topic derailing!?
"All units! Terminate the traitor."
-C

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Just remember the one big thing this one HAS to have....if you forgot I can ICQ you the info again when you need it :)

and I STILL want that Arcadia :D  lol

[drool]
Warlock

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Just remember the one big thing this one HAS to have....if you forgot I can ICQ you the info again when you need it :)

Well get on ICQ then! ;)

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Been on ICQ since 7pm :D LMAO
Warlock

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Warlock:

1. By the time that this gets finished, Interplay will gbe dead and gone. No issues there.
2. The FreeSpace franchise is, at the moment, worthless. Lucas coulda made money selling royalties to corporations willing to make their own storm trooper armor, but nobody would buy if they could make it on their own. However, nobody's planning on selling royalties or making FreeSpace right now, except for us on the latter. Suing us would be trying to get blood from turnips anyhow, even ignoring the fact that, since this community exists entirely online, it would take one hell of an effort to track us all down. More of an effort than anyone's gonna take right now.

However, we really should as Volition if they mind first. Just to be decent, at the very least. Even when people have no monetary interest in their stuff, they still like to have some control over what happens to it. I should know... :mad:
3. Abandonware- the term means essentially 'technically illegal, but who's gonna stop us?'. It applies.
4. People have gotten away with much more patently illegal violations before. Know how often warez rings get busted- the dudes the pigs are actually interested in, as opposed to rentacops with no equipment or interest in getting the job done? And half of them hand out calling cards left and right that would enable, say, ME to infiltrate and get them, no prob.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2002, 11:52:57 pm by 262 »

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I'm willing to help by any means possible. Meaning by any means that involves my 3D graphics suite or non-programming work.

How 'bout we follow something more like the I-War format, where the model is actually the same type used by the native 3D modeller, with a table file type thing on the side? Seems to provide more versatility, anyway. Yeah, I'll shut up about anything on the programming end now. Give it reeeeeeally high poly limits, and the ability to dock ingam- *smack*

:D

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
1. By the time that this gets finished, Interplay will gbe dead and gone. No issues there.
2. The FreeSpace franchise is, at the moment, worthless. Lucas coulda made money selling royalties to corporations willing to make their own storm trooper armor, but nobody would buy if they could make it on their own. However, nobody's planning on selling royalties or making FreeSpace right now, except for us on the latter. Suing us would be trying to get blood from turnips anyhow, even ignoring the fact that, since this community exists entirely online, it would take one hell of an effort to track us all down. More of an effort than anyone's gonna take right now.

However, we really should as Volition if they mind first. Just to be decent, at the very least. Even when people have no monetary interest in their stuff, they still like to have some control over what happens to it. I should know... :mad:
3. Abandonware- the term means essentially 'technically illegal, but who's gonna stop us?'. It applies.
4. People have gotten away with much more patently illegal violations before. Know how often warez rings get busted- the dudes the pigs are actually interested in, as opposed to rentacops with no equipment or interest in getting the job done? And half of them hand out calling cards left and right that would enable, say, ME to infiltrate and get them, no prob.

Completely agree here. :yes::yes:

Offline Inquisitor

Don't worry about the copyrights until you have something that works. Keep em in mind, but try getting a little further down the glidepath before you kill the project due to poorly understood legal issues. Those things kill you when you start handing the software out, and by then you will have decided whether something like this is worth pursuing.

And be careful with any legal advice, unless you have your law degree ;)

As for the ability of the "people here" do do this sort of thing, I disagree. I think you guys can, you just have to "DO" it.

Kazan has already started thinking about the scope of this endeavor, what he sees as the end result (dropping a new exe, maybe some new files) and while I am not sure that is a viable approach, that is certainly an approach.

I'm not sure he's the man for the "coordinator" position, I'm not sure who is, gotta find someone who has pulled off a mod, start to finish, maybe that's him, maybe not. Find someone who's read "Rapid Development" or go out and read it ;)

Get more stuff on paper, as it were. Scope the project. Think about the goals, think about how much work you want ot and CAN do. Kazan can certainly do some of that, he's got the start of the idea here, just needs to be written down in one coherent place. Then you have at least a straw man to kick around and punch holes in, and something to approach other people with to "sell them" on it to join the team other than "gee, wouldn't it be great if we made a video game like Freespace?" Once it's on paper (some of Narols stuff, for instance) you can start determining the feasibility of those technical challenges. Etc. See above for an overall approach.

Right now it's all mental masterbation.
No signature.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

After like 500 other guys in line ahead of me of course :lol:

Still would KILL to get my greedy hands on her :D  LOL

yeah, if I'm not mistaken, I'm the 1st one on the list :D
bah, my FS2 arcadia has something stuck in the barrels of it's turrets: they follow the target, rotate and all, bu no, they won't fire, they won't want, they don't like me, ME! they betrayed their creator, they...
Yeah, I want her for Iwar2, coz in FS2 I can't fly this almighty ship :D And I want to use it to... play the pirate mwahahaha.

back on topic, well, for now, i'll just look at what happens... Sounds very ambitious to me, but time will tell, after all.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
There are two very valid points at looking at this.

1. There is little point in attempting a project that will probably never be completed... we have tiny campaigns and other projects that have not been finished. Believing that a project of this magnitude could be finished is ludicrous... and so no time should be wasted on trying.

2. If we give up before we even start, we we don't even have a chance to achieve anything. We have nothing to lose but a yet-unknown amount of time and effort... and we certainly have a great pool of skill to draw from.[/b]

Like I said, both are valid... I was going to say something, but it just flew out of my mind. ;) It'll come back to me soon, but make what you want of those two statements... knowing that both hold a great deal of truth in them and one can be correct while the other can remain valid also.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
warlock im quite aware of the legal issues, im also quite aware that Interplay has a "don't talk about freespace 2" rule amoung their employees apparently - they don't care
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
First, I apologize for not reading all four(?) pages, so please don't flame me if this has been said/asked before...

As many of you know, there is Babylon 5 Freeware game under development. It is very impressive engine. "I've Found Her"-team is soon releasing a demo, so the engine is quite ready.

Why don't you contact them and ask if they could help you in some ways?

Unfortunately The Gaming Union forums seems to be down, but visit them later: http://www.thegamingunion.co.uk/Forum/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

And of course IFH homepage is here:
http://ifh.firstones.com/

IFH engine is gonna rock! :nod:

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Setekh
There are two very valid points at looking at this.

1. There is little point in attempting a project that will probably never be completed... we have tiny campaigns and other projects that have not been finished. Believing that a project of this magnitude could be finished is ludicrous... and so no time should be wasted on trying.

2. If we give up before we even start, we we don't even have a chance to achieve anything. We have nothing to lose but a yet-unknown amount of time and effort... and we certainly have a great pool of skill to draw from.
[/COLOR]

Like I said, both are valid... I was going to say something, but it just flew out of my mind. ;) It'll come back to me soon, but make what you want of those two statements... knowing that both hold a great deal of truth in them and one can be correct while the other can remain valid also. [/B]

Remember Cold Legacy? ;)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Why don't you contact them and ask if they could help you in some ways?

That's actually the most sensible idea I heard on this topic... :nod:
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Interesting idea actually, the engine certanily looks good - why not give it a go? At worst they'll say "no".

Offline Inquisitor

Crystal Space:
http://crystal.sourceforge.net/

I tried an earlier version of it, wasn't happy with the state it was in, but I hear it's improved in the last year, haven't tried to build this version.

Descent IV (http://www.descent4.net) is using it, another team who's brain might need picking.

Nebula Device:
http://www.radonlabs.de/whatis.html

I hear there are problems compiling this with .NET and I have not actually played with it either.

Fly3D
http://www.fly3d.com.br/
This came with a textbook on the subject, interesting to play with, modular, good learning experience, not sure if it's up to making a full game.

Torque:
http://www.garagegames.com
I love this thing, unlike the others, it is not free (100 bucks, 2 video games worth of money), but it's powerful, easy to work with, great support from the developers and the community and basically alot of fun. The links to the screenshots I posted above are of my personal "chat room with guns" project done in TQ.

Other engines of note out there to look at:
Descent 1 and 2
http://d1x.warpcore.org/
http://shelob.classrooms.washington.edu/d2x/
Interesting to see an old engine that does the ship thing, neat to poke around in.

Quake2:
http://www.bluesnews.com/files/idstuff/source/quake2.shtml
Learn from Carmack ;) Old, but again neat to poke thru.

Various ports of Doom and Wolfenstein3D (people have turned Doom into an openGL game, also just academically intresting, look at http://www.doomworld.com for links).

Obviously the older engines aren't for making the game in, but provide a good point of reference and learning experience. The first 3 or 4 might be worth looking at, if nothing else to see modern (and in some cases, cross platform) engines at work.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2002, 08:24:34 am by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by Styxx
That's actually the most sensible idea I heard on this topic... :nod:

Thank you. :)

Originally posted by Thunder
Interesting idea actually, the engine certanily looks good - why not give it a go? At worst they'll say "no".

Definitely. If they agrees you don't have to worry about building a new engine. You can help them to develop it further and same time modify it for Freespace style (non-newtonian physics).

Only drawback would be that IFH-engine probably does not support Volition's file types at all, like .vp files. So you'll need to convert them, it shouldn't be too hard when compared to making a new engine from scratch.

At very least, asking won't hurt you. Even if they won't give the source code of IFH-engine, they may still help you in other ways. They surely have experience in that area.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2002, 08:36:43 am by 173 »