Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670847 times)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.0 public alpha [Updated 2012/05/30]
Other: In "lighting preset" tab, I think good idea add to MediaVP 3.6.12 deafult recommended preset.

Code: [Select]
==> In the "Custom Flags field" copy & paste (Without the quotes):
   "-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5"

But it's not important.
This setting used to be in the wiki until Zacam changed it last July, which led me to believe that that setting was no longer the FSU team's recommended setting, which is why it's not in the launcher.

Hi!

Official MediaVP thread install instruction show "old" preset. If user can't see this mediawiki (I dont see this never before you show), then user type "old" preset, if want use MediaVP.
This is clean logic. If you know this information:  recommended preset is "old" in MediaVP thread, then show this; example:

Now visible preset name in wxLauncher:

"Baseline recommended" - this is wrong name.

"Baseline recommended (with MediaVP too, 7 July 2011)" - this is correct name. Please do not hide any important information from wxLauncher  users :)

I went digging through my IRC logs and couldn't find the conversation I was looking for, but as I remember, Zacam once told me that the lighting settings you quoted are now deprecated and that the settings now listed in the wiki as recommended are the official recommended settings. If the MediaVPs 3.6.12 release thread still lists the old settings, then the issue is with the thread and not with wxLauncher. Hope that explains things.

Offline totya

If the MediaVPs 3.6.12 release thread still lists the old settings, then the issue is with the thread and not with wxLauncher. Hope that explains things.

This is clean for me, but I think will not come to the end of the world, if you show your application, baseline settings is recommended MedaiVP settings too. Do you understand this? :)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
If the MediaVPs 3.6.12 release thread still lists the old settings, then the issue is with the thread and not with wxLauncher. Hope that explains things.

This is clean for me, but I think will not come to the end of the world, if you show your application, baseline settings is recommended MedaiVP settings too. Do you understand this? :)
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "if you show your application, baseline settings is recommended MedaiVP settings too." Are you saying that the "Baseline recommended" settings should be taken from the MediaVPs 3.6.12 release thread and not from the wiki, even though the wiki is (more or less) the official location for standard lighting settings? If so, then Iss Mneur and I will need to talk about it, and thanks for the suggestion.

Also, did you use make install to install wxL to /usr/local/, or did you use development mode to avoid having to do that? If the latter, then I'm not sure that you can just copy and paste the folder and have it work, since the paths might be baked in. You might need to rebuild wxL in that case.

I didn't use the dev mode flag to compile, but did do a make install (those go together? didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the readme). I'm now running wxlauncher from terminal.

Anyhow, it appears that the MSVC .map and .pdb files in my Windows FSO folder are fooling the launcher, see screenshot 1. It's skipping the .exes alright, but not the debugging files. Hence, that directory is recognized as a valid FSO root folder, even though there's no valid linux binary in there anymore. And thus I'm not allowed to change the location, see screen 2.

If you could paste the contents of the profile you're using in code tags, that would also help. The profiles are located in /home/<YourUsername>/.wxlauncher/ and are of the form pro#####.ini. The default profile is stored in pro00000.ini. If you're using a profile other than the default one, you'll need to search through the folder and look at the files in a text editor to find the one you're using.

Here you go:

[main]
name=Default
filename=pro00000.ini
initialized=1
[video]
width=1680
height=1050
depth=32
texturefilter=Trilinear
anisotropic=0
antialias=0
[network]
type=None
speed=None
port=0
ip=
[openal]
device=ALSA Default
[joystick]
id=99999
[lighting]
preset=Off
[tc]
flags=
folder=/media/DATA/FreeSpace2
currentmodline=
currentmod=(No mod)
currentbinary=fs2_open_INF_r

Anyway, if I unmount the partition with the Windows FSO folder, it cannot find the root directory anymore (as it should), and I am allowed to change it (get the Browse button back).

Nice work on the mods list! :yes:

The Advanced Settings tab I'm thinking could use some work, from a user perspective... (screen 3) YMMV, of course, this is just my first impression. The layout doesn't reflect the relation between different elements very well IMHO. The Lighting Presets and Custom Flags box belong together, as do the Flag Sets selector and the list of checkboxes. The 'Copy selected preset to custom flags' button is also not a great way to do it IMHO, if you're a first-time user who doesn't really know what it does.

How I would do it - Instead of the 'Lighting Presets' pane (on the right) put a 'Setting presets' box, with radio buttons ordered by computing power, e.g. 'Default FS2' (all features off), 'Basic features on' (for older computers, with glowmaps and other basic things only), 'Recommended' (for most computers, only some high-performance features off) , 'Full option' (for real good computers, with full-on visuals), 'Custom' (gets auto-selected if the user changes a setting himself). Then have a selection list for the custom lighting settings, positioned directly above the Custom Flags list (where the Flag Sets selector list is now).

Anyway, take it or leave it, I know it's quite an overhaul of the tab I'm suggesting.

One more thing, the 'Default FS2' preset should probably turn things like glowmaps and normals off, right? I'm guessing it's meant for those who wanna play vanilla?

[attachment deleted by ninja]

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

Offline totya

Hi!

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean

My English is quite terrible, I know this, this is my problem, I'm sorry.

(...) what you mean by "if you show your application, baseline settings is recommended MediaVP settings too." (...)

Well, in lighting preset tab first line this: "preset descriptions (link)".
Suggested new label (about): Recommended use these presets with MediaVP, see more information: preset descriptions (link).

But it's not important, now this is clean for me. Thanks.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
I didn't use the dev mode flag to compile, but did do a make install (those go together? didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the readme). I'm now running wxlauncher from terminal.
Development mode is for when you don't want to use make install and instead want to run wxL within the development directory. As mentioned in the ReadMe, you enable it by including -DDEVELOPMENT_MODE=1 when you run CMake. Otherwise, you use make install. And yeah, I run wxL from the terminal, too.

Anyhow, it appears that the MSVC .map and .pdb files in my Windows FSO folder are fooling the launcher, see screenshot 1. It's skipping the .exes alright, but not the debugging files. Hence, that directory is recognized as a valid FSO root folder, even though there's no valid linux binary in there anymore. And thus I'm not allowed to change the location, see screen 2.
Fixed in revision 98a09dcace9d. Thanks for reporting this issue.

Nice work on the mods list! :yes:
Glad you like it. :) It was Iss and kkmic's work, although I did a few small formatting adjustments.

The Advanced Settings tab I'm thinking could use some work, from a user perspective... (screen 3) YMMV, of course, this is just my first impression. The layout doesn't reflect the relation between different elements very well IMHO. The Lighting Presets and Custom Flags box belong together, as do the Flag Sets selector and the list of checkboxes. The 'Copy selected preset to custom flags' button is also not a great way to do it IMHO, if you're a first-time user who doesn't really know what it does.
You're right, the layout is a bit jumbled. I think flag sets used to be under the flag list until I added the "Double-click on a flag etc." text. As for the copy preset button, it was intended as a limited way of making the lighting presets more useful, in case someone liked a preset but wanted to tweak it to their own tastes. I think it's easy enough to figure out what it does once you try it, and reversing the effects of pressing it is simple enough (just remove the text added to custom flags and select the preset again), but you're right, it's not great.

Speaking of which, the issue of large text font sizes is something the wxL Team will have to deal with, especially in cases of text like the "Double-click on a flag", which isn't in a scrollable window. :blah: The advanced settings page on my machine looks like this, by comparison, using the Ubuntu Lucid (10.04?) default font size of 10.

How I would do it - Instead of the 'Lighting Presets' pane (on the right) put a 'Setting presets' box, with radio buttons ordered by computing power, e.g. 'Default FS2' (all features off), 'Basic features on' (for older computers, with glowmaps and other basic things only), 'Recommended' (for most computers, only some high-performance features off) , 'Full option' (for real good computers, with full-on visuals), 'Custom' (gets auto-selected if the user changes a setting himself). Then have a selection list for the custom lighting settings, positioned directly above the Custom Flags list (where the Flag Sets selector list is now).

Anyway, take it or leave it, I know it's quite an overhaul of the tab I'm suggesting.
Interesting, although it'd require close collaboration with the FSO team, since we wouldn't want to have to keep track of what are considered to be resource-intensive options and which aren't, especially since the definition of resource-intensive changes over time as new features are added (and old ones sometimes removed) and as the average computer gets more powerful. Much better to leave those decisions to the engine, whose authors know how resource-intensive the various options are in the context of the average computer at that particular point in the engine's development. In fact, something like this would probably require at least a partial rewrite of FSO's cmdline.cpp. In any case, since we're currently focusing on fixing bugs and adding support for the new sound code (a feature that we must have), we're probably not making major changes in the very near future. Thanks for pointing these things out and for your suggestion, though.

One more thing, the 'Default FS2' preset should probably turn things like glowmaps and normals off, right? I'm guessing it's meant for those who wanna play vanilla?
That's what it did in the past, although now that trunk has the various maps enabled by default rather than disabled, meaning that the corresponding flags now say "Disable X" instead of "Enable X", I'm not sure how things are going to work. Well, I just tried out a trunk build, and it looks like the various flag sets haven't been adjusted to match the changes in the flags, meaning the FS2 Default flag set has the new flags turned off instead of on. Also, High memory usage features off flag set has them turned off, but maybe they should actually be turned on? I have no idea what qualifies as "high memory usage", though.

EDIT: Clarification.

EDIT 2: As for the currently crappy formatting in the error message text in the advanced settings page, would allowing the text to wrap properly be a step in the right direction? We can work on coming up with a better version of those messages in the meantime. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:05:59 am by jg18 »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Other: In "lighting preset" tab, I think good idea add to MediaVP 3.6.12 deafult recommended preset.

==> In the "Custom Flags field" copy & paste (Without the quotes):
   "-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5"

But it's not important.
This setting used to be in the wiki until Zacam changed it last July, which led me to believe that that setting was no longer the FSU team's recommended setting, which is why it's not in the launcher.

Hi!

Official MediaVP thread install instruction show "old" preset. If user can't see this mediawiki (I dont see this never before you show), then user type "old" preset, if want use MediaVP.
This is clean logic. If you know this information:  recommended preset is "old" in MediaVP thread, then show this; example:

Now visible preset name in wxLauncher:

"Baseline recommended" - this is wrong name.

"Baseline recommended (with MediaVP too, 7 July 2011)" - this is correct name. Please do not hide any important information from wxLauncher  users :)

Hi. Wrong. Not hidden, obsolete. Not important, irrelevant.

FSU -used- to recommend settings. Parts are still hanging around. You start with "Baseline recommended" (this IS the right one) and go from there or you use "Defaults"

Anything else is free for user CHOICE, not mandate.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

You're right, the layout is a bit jumbled. I think flag sets used to be under the flag list until I added the "Double-click on a flag etc." text. As for the copy preset button, it was intended as a limited way of making the lighting presets more useful, in case someone liked a preset but wanted to tweak it to their own tastes. I think it's easy enough to figure out what it does once you try it, and reversing the effects of pressing it is simple enough (just remove the text added to custom flags and select the preset again), but you're right, it's not great.

Yeah... It's easy for a newbie to just be adding flags this way, instead of replacing them. (Wonder what FSO would do when the same flag is set multiple times, with different values - I guess just take the last value?) Of course, you can't just clear the entire custom flags list, there might be more in it than just lighting settings. Hum... Perhaps two different custom-flag text boxes, one for the (selection/tweaking of) lighting settings and one for misc flags? So basically you'd have a text box instead of the "copy to flags" button, which gets cleared and re-set every time the user picks different lighting settings. Would probably fit best at the bottom of the flag list, with a "Custom:" radio button autoselected when the user changes something in the field.

Anyway, just tossing ideas around here.

Speaking of which, the issue of large text font sizes is something the wxL Team will have to deal with, especially in cases of text like the "Double-click on a flag", which isn't in a scrollable window. :blah: The advanced settings page on my machine looks like this, by comparison, using the Ubuntu Lucid (10.04?) default font size of 10.

Yeah, with font size 10 it all fits nicely... Though I guess, with ever-increasing screen DPI, bumping the font size up every once in a while may not be a bad idea. Does wxWidgets have some way of auto-scaling the window?

As for the currently crappy formatting in the error message text in the advanced settings page, would allowing the text to wrap properly be a step in the right direction? We can work on coming up with a better version of those messages in the meantime. Thanks.

Oh, definitely. The error message on the Mods tab already looks nice and native, with an "info" icon and everything - removing hard-coded newlines and copying it to Advanced Settings should do the trick.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod

Yeah... It's easy for a newbie to just be adding flags this way, instead of replacing them. (Wonder what FSO would do when the same flag is set multiple times, with different values - I guess just take the last value?) Of course, you can't just clear the entire custom flags list, there might be more in it than just lighting settings. Hum... Perhaps two different custom-flag text boxes, one for the (selection/tweaking of) lighting settings and one for misc flags? So basically you'd have a text box instead of the "copy to flags" button, which gets cleared and re-set every time the user picks different lighting settings. Would probably fit best at the bottom of the flag list, with a "Custom:" radio button autoselected when the user changes something in the field.

Anyway, just tossing ideas around here.
Interesting, although people might have the impression that lighting settings flags will only work if in the "lighting settings" text box, which I guess isn't a huge problem. More problematic, though, would be if someone tweaks the settings in the lighting settings text box and then selects a different preset. If I understand you right, their settings would then be overwritten, and destroying user data (especially without their consent) is generally a big no-no. (Aren't GUIs fun? :D) We could ask them "are you sure you want to switch presets?", but pop-ups are annoying.

A quick experiment shows that if lighting settings are repeated in the custom flags, FSO uses the last value.

Of course, another option is to remove the "copy preset" button, but that would reduce the value of the lighting presets somewhat.

Other ideas... I guess the UI can indicate with a warning somehow (custom flags box border becomes red, maybe?) that there are repeated flags in the custom flags, maybe with a message like "Repeated flag: -ambient_factor". I don't know of any situations where having repeated custom flags is desirable. Admittedly, that doesn't help that much with the problem you mentioned.

Yeah, with font size 10 it all fits nicely... Though I guess, with ever-increasing screen DPI, bumping the font size up every once in a while may not be a bad idea. Does wxWidgets have some way of auto-scaling the window?
Well, the font sizes are in points rather than pixels, so text of a given font size should be the same size in any resolution. You can test this out by lowering your screen resolution and seeing if the text is still the same size. I'll try testing it out later. That said, the error text on the mods page seem to be quite different sizes across the three platforms, even though it's 12-point font in all cases. So I dunno.

Oh, definitely. The error message on the Mods tab already looks nice and native, with an "info" icon and everything - removing hard-coded newlines and copying it to Advanced Settings should do the trick.
If only it were that simple. :blah: The advanced settings page is technically very different from the mods page, so achieving the same look might not be easy. We've already committed a change that makes the background the window color instead of white and that removes the bold from the text, since it looks better that way (the text on the mods page is not bold), so there's already an improvement. The advanced settings page also has a wider range of errors, since it covers all the ways in which flag file processing can go wrong.

As for the newlines, well, it might be nice to have newlines separating sentences, so that you don't end up with a monolithic block of text, although we try to make the messages short. And also, no matter what we do, there'll always be some combinations of font and font sizes where a word at the end of a sentence will end up stuck on its own line, like
this.

In short, we'll need to think about what to do with the newlines. If nothing else, there will be fewer of them. Lowering the font size might help (currently 16 in advanced settings vs. 12 in mods page). We might just have to try to ensure that bad wrapping doesn't happen with common combinations of fonts and font sizes. Originally, I was hoping that the line breaks would be at logical places (which is what the current line breaks are trying to do), such as keeping prepositional phrases intact, but that's probably too much to ask for.

Thanks again for your input. We like feedback. :nod:

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.1 public alpha [Updated 2012/07/13]
:bump:

wxLauncher 0.9.1 alpha has been released.  You can download it from the release post.

Summary of changes since 0.9.0:

All platforms:
- Support for configuring the new sound code
-- If the Enable EFX checkbox is missing, then your OpenAL setup doesn't support EFX
- Improved formatting of error messages on mods page and advanced settings page
- List of executables on basic settings page is now sorted alphabetically
- Assorted bug fixes and text revisions

Windows only:
- "Calibrate" button in joystick settings box now works :nervous:
- "data" folder is automatically created if it doesn't already exist
- Improvements to installer, such as checking for installed versions

Linux only:
- Taskbar icon added
- Expanded range of files to be ignored when looking for FSO binaries, such as files ending in .map, .pdb, or .gz

OS X only:
- Errors no longer occur when detecting OpenAL

The wxLauncher Team would like to thank our testers since 0.9.0:

Axem, FreeSpaceFreak, mjn.mixael, jr2, niffiwan, swashmebuckle

and others who helped track down bugs (totya).
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.1 public alpha [Updated 2012/07/13]
Win. I love this launcher. :yes:

Since the new sound code support was added, I haven't needed switched back to the old launcher for anything.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Great :D :yes:

What a fantastic program! As a linux user, thank you very much for working on this. I can't believe how beautiful it looks on my system.

Just one question: Is it possible to compile the launcher so that it looks for the resources directory by relative pathing, rather than absolute? It's a pain having to recompile it if I just want to change where I'm storing it...

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
What a fantastic program! As a linux user, thank you very much for working on this. I can't believe how beautiful it looks on my system.

Just one question: Is it possible to compile the launcher so that it looks for the resources directory by relative pathing, rather than absolute? It's a pain having to recompile it if I just want to change where I'm storing it...
Thank you.

The short answer is no. There is no way to do that at this time, however I don't really understand the reason for the question.  How/why does the resources directory need to be changed from the directory in /usr?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken