Author Topic: BSG models I found  (Read 17960 times)

I found some interesting BSG models.There for orbiter but they may close to the quality your looking for.There are a few orbiter model converters out there.
I dont know if the author would let you use them or not.Theres been no updates for a while.

A somewhat better looking low poly MK1 Viper than the old FS2 tos mod.

Heres the oddest looking BSG ship ive ever seen.Its not cannon but seems to be what would have happened if the Colonials had reversed engineered a cylon raider and made there own hybrid fighter.

The old BSG model isnt for download on that site but this pic should add support for my prototype idea.See how similar they look?

Heres the download page.
http://yankeeclippersmobile.com/forum/index.php?topic=112.0

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Those look ugly, IMHO, and not really detailed compared to the output the Diaspora team has shown us here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I think thats because orbiter cant handle as much detail as the Freespace2 open engine.But I thought that raider was the most weird and unique BSG based model ive seen so far.Anywhere.

I also so wish they would put space combat in Orbiter

Heres another BSG low quality ship model I found.Its for starfleet command.

Heres where I found it.http://sfc.battleclinic.com/docks/browse.php?race=BSG&page=1
Theres a lot more low poly BSG models there.Mabey what you could do is modify them to make them higher detailed for use in Diaspora.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I think the team will build their own models, because editing/ modifing/ fixing and converting an existing mesh can be as time consuming like building a new one from scratch.

Those models there simply aren't build for a Spacesim where you can fly very close to the big ones. They may look good in their respective games, but they would look...unfinished... in FSO.

EDIT: The Raider is probably the most awkward BSG ship i've ever seen. :P
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:54:35 pm by Angelus »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
There's also a few models out there for X-Plane, though the level of detail you're looking for won't be there in a long shot. For example, there's a few smaller Battlestars based on the nBSG designs, but you'd need to do A LOT of work to get them up to par.

However, there is a TOS Viper (Viper Mk.1) with a 3D cockpit - I could post some screens if you want. Note that the cockpit is actually based on the Viper Mk.2's cockpit, so you wouldn't get something as old-school as seen in the original show.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Is it a viper your working on for Diaspora?Or one for download from another site?

The models I like the most are the non cannon designs.Especially ones that mix old with new like a new version of the defender or gunstar.And if you have the MK1 Viper eventually in game it should have an inside cockpit design similar to the MK2 since the MK2 is really just a refit of the MK1.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
No, the TOS Viper (or something really close to it) was seen in the re-imagined series.

Here's a link:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=7304

This is NOT a good shot - I can post an image of the cockpit when I get home.

Also, it's not mine (though I did make an improvement for it for X-Plane 8)...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Thanks but I dont have XPLANE.I thought id put up the only time the MK1 was ever shown in BSG.I cant find a better quality pic.

Just for fun.The old Basestars in Razor.

Offline newman

Oh.. not again :)

Hi, thanks, we've been offered old models from other mods before and the answer is always the same. They don't cut it standard - wise, getting them up to snuff would be about as much work as build them from scratch, so no we can't use them and please don't offer any more. That doesn't mean we won't look at work done by prospectives, just that we'll never use models from old mods just because someone dug them up. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:03:03 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Richard

I saw that sometimes ago.
But orbiter is a very difficult simulator.
Nice models.

Oh my frakking gods!I just found a great viper design.Its weird looking though.

It was going to be the 13th tribes viper.This has got to be put in Diaspora!Mabey the FF wernt the only surviving members of the 13th colony.

Found it here http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=420
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:49:07 pm by FreespacePilot2010 »

Offline newman

Oh my frakking G!I just found one of the greatest viper designs ever made!

It was going to be the 13th tribes viper.This has got to be put in Diaspora!Mabey the FF wernt the only surviving members of the 13th colony.

Found it here http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=420

1) Considering how the series ended there's absolutely no way to use it in any serious nBSG plot.
2) It's ugly as hell. Looks like someone kitbashed together a mk2, mk7, and a raider, and put the result in a microwave.
3) We already knew about it.
4) Just.. no.

Please, don't find ships for us to use. We're on top of things :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Looks like someone kitbashed together a mk2, mk7, and a raider, and put the result in a microwave.
Thats probably why they didnt use it.But one way it would work even with being ugly is if it was a hybrid design created by the crew of Theseus.Similar to how the Galactica crew created the custom designed black bird stealth fighter.

I know your going to have some non cannon ships but I do hope theyll be some non cannon fighters to.Not just for the Colonials but also for the Cylons.Its good to have variety.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Looks like someone kitbashed together a mk2, mk7, and a raider, and put the result in a microwave.
Thats probably why they didnt use it.But one way it would work even with being ugly is if it was a hybrid design created by the crew of Theseus.Similar to how the Galactica crew created the custom designed black bird stealth fighter.

I know your going to have some non cannon ships but I do hope theyll be some non cannon fighters to.Not just for the Colonials but also for the Cylons.Its good to have variety.

Can't speak for the team or other members here on the board, but i don't want that ugly thing in the game, just my personal opinion. :P

Regarding non-canon designs, there are already several confirmed:

The Theseus of course, the Bolitho in the cap-ship class as well as several Fighters.
The famous MkVII E and a Trainercraft/ light fighter, check the Mod DB for moar screenshots.

Here's one with the mentioned Fighters:

http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/12/11511/flyable_ships.png

Cool.But whats the difference between the bottom raider and the one on the top?They look the same to me.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Cool.But whats the difference between the bottom raider and the one on the top?They look the same to me.

The head section of the bottom one is different and was introduced in Razor, iirc.
It's either a retcon of the original model, or a "advanced" version. Dunno how the team will treat that, but i assume that the "advanced" Raider will be either, intodruced later in the Theseus campaign, not make a appearence ( since we don't know how long the Theseus will be "in service" ), that would be the "advanced" Raider way, or used from the beginning as the retconned version.
Only time and R1 will tell. :P

Here's the original:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/File:Raider_head..jpg

Here's the retconned version:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/File:Raider_retcon.jpg
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:57:07 pm by Angelus »

I see the difference now.You should probably just go with it being an advanced or upgraded version.

Offline newman

They didn't use it because it didn't fit the plot. It's probably a reject design for a plot line that never happened. Making up a way for the Theseus to have it would be forcing it in without much sense. When the Chief constructed the Blackbird on Galactica it was under a very specific set of circumstances - they were on the run, losing fighters with no way of replenishing them, so Chief tried to do something about it. Even then it was considered a miracle he was able to construct a ship that actually flies without killing the pilot, even so the ship could only ever be used for recon or sneak attack, couldn't replace the vipers in real combat.
Now, the plot around the Theseus happens during the fall of the Colonies. The crew would neither have cause or time to go design a new fighter. I'm pretty sure it's not standard procedure to go design a new fighter line aboard a battlestar to pass the time while patrolling. That's a bit like the crew of the USS Nimitz deciding to design a successor for the Super Hornet because they feel like it. It just doesn't make sense on any level. A fighter that looks like a mix of colonial and cylon tech would make even less sense considering that the colonials know next to nothing about Cylon technology at the time of the attack.
So no, we're not going to force it in just for the sake of having it, creating enormous plot holes in the process. Also, it's ugly, we don't like it, it hasn't appeared on the show, wasn't mentioned either, therefore it's not canon and can be ignored if we so choose. If anyone wants to mod it in once Diaspora is out, of course that's fine by us. But I think it's pretty safe to say this thing will never appear in an official Diaspora release.

I see the difference now.You should probably just go with it being an advanced or upgraded version.

Amazingly enough we did plan on making the advanced raider more.. advanced :P

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

I'm pretty sure that the "advanced" Raider will have different stats then the original, in multiplayer at least.