Author Topic: "Testing, Testing, One, Two ..." (new sound code)  (Read 66646 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: "Testing, Testing, One, Two ..." (new sound code)
You can independently control FX vs Music vs Voice volume, is that not quite cutting it?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You can independently control FX vs Music vs Voice volume, is that not quite cutting it?

Effect volume becomes cripplingly loud in a way it didn't under the old sound code or retail. Multiple ships warping in nearby simultaneously sounds...bad.

Offline CKid

Effect volume becomes cripplingly loud in a way it didn't under the old sound code or retail. Multiple ships warping in nearby simultaneously sounds...bad.

Yes, go play "Lion At The Door" and have a listen to what 48 hornets (6 Herc's double firing in one salvo) pounding a poor rakshasa cruiser all at once sounds like. Believe me, It's not pretty.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Does it still happen if you use the -no_3d_sound cmdline option?  Can you, or anyone else, make a quick test mission which demonstrates this problem so that I can easily replicate it for testing purposes?

I am assuming that this is related to the 3D sound code, where the volume is either attenuated too high for some reason or there is a positioning issue between listener and source.  Attenuation should be capped, so I find it hard to believe that would actually be a problem.  Still there could be something in there that is causing an issue, or there is some problem with doppler being disabled which is creating an issue.  If I can easily test for and reproduce it then I should be able to come up with some sort of solution though.

Offline CKid

The -no_3d_sound cmdline has no effect. Unfortunately I can't Fred a mission worth a damn.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Found it.  The problem is that engineloop001.ogg is listed twice in sounds.tbl: the first time as 2D, the second time as 3D.  The code won't load the same file twice, so it just returns the entry for the 2D version of the sound when attempting to load/play the 3D one.  Checking for such a case and loading a duplicate of the sound if necessary should fix it.
Ahh, I see. Glad you found it :yes:

I'm using a pair of 5.1 headphones and when I maneuver around a beam the sound jumps from one side to the other ignoring the center channel. The beams windup and winddown for instance goes left, center, right, but the beam itself jumps from left to right. Beams are the only thing I've noticed this behavior with since it's such a drawn out effect.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
i dunno if anybody else got this issue, but after a mission, the second one loses music almost completely... closing fso and starting it up again fixes it.

EDIT: Solved by downloading and installing openAL soft and selecting it in the launcher, still checking to see if anything else crops up.

Some other stuff has cropped up, sometimes, when the battle gets intense and i get a bit of a hit on the FPS, all of the sounds start stuttering and it doesn't stop for a while, sometimes alt-tabbing or doing other stuff that silences the music solves it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:47:14 pm by Mura »
Signed, me

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I'm using a pair of 5.1 headphones and when I maneuver around a beam the sound jumps from one side to the other ignoring the center channel. The beams windup and winddown for instance goes left, center, right, but the beam itself jumps from left to right. Beams are the only thing I've noticed this behavior with since it's such a drawn out effect.
Yeah I get this same thing happening. Beams seem to only play on the right or left channel of my stereo sound. It snaps back and forth between them suddenly as you rotate your ship to change where the sound should come from. The other beam sounds are fine.

Definitely got OpenAL 1.1 and the log indicates it's using the 'Generic software on Realtek HD Audio Output'. (Yeah, just crappy onboard sound here :( )
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Kolgena

Since we're bumping anyways...

+1 for beam sound positioning problems as of the latest Ant7. (Popping and crackling still happens, too, almost as if the engine is running a different sample rate than the sound file)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Using Ant7, lots of popping and crackling here too
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you don't have a nice sound card, try turning off 3d sound.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
If you don't have a nice sound card, try turning off 3d sound.
EFX? Cause that isn't on for me
Urutorahappī!!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Perhaps try the OpenAL Soft DLL.  Instead of putting the soft_oal.dll in the System folder like the readme says, put it in your Freespace2 folder.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:52:22 pm by chief1983 »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Well it all worked fine and dandy with OpenAL soft before!
But then *something* changed from nightly r6626 to r6627. r6626 works A-okay. r6627 completely borks up my sound. Once my framerate drops in the 30-40 range, the sound and music start cracking up, stuttering and popping.
ugh  :sigh:

Edit: updated my Realtek drivers to 5.10.0.6257
Did nothing for me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:14:52 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I guess I forgot you were already on OpenAL Soft from before.  At least we know the exact commit that changed it.  Too bad that commit is the go_faster code.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I've decided to post a couple of sound-related bugs here, since they are likely related to this new sound code.  They may have been reported already, but I don't have the patience to read through 12 pages of posts to find it, and if there is a simple solution, then perhaps someone can bring it to my attention.

The first involves lightning.  It used to be a background rumble, now it is a continuous clattering, which will even prevent some audio from playing during the "thunder" sound, such as in-game voices and sound effects.  Afterward, it will also severely dampen some of the interface sounds, such as the little bleeps you get when you pass the pointer over a button, or select it.  I've tried all three of the audio playback selections to me, and to my knowledge, I've already installed OAL.

The second involves the loss of mission briefing audio.  This appears to occur after one or two missions worth of continuous gaming.  Suddenly the audio for a mission stage and all following ones will not play.  It can happen with command briefings or mission briefings.  I think that the amount of missions required for this bug to manifest itself depends on the total number of stages in the missions leading to that point.  I haven't done enough testing at this point to know if any of the other audio settings have any effect on it.  The only way to clear it is to shut down FS2 and restart it.

As for which builds generate this problem, it's difficult to say.  I've only resumed playing FS2 for a short while now, having been away from playing for about three years.  I haven't played with any build less recent than the Ant6 series, but I've played with many knightly builds since and encountered the same problems with all builds.  I will try to revert to the 3.6.12 release build and see if that makes any difference.

I'll keep you updated but hopefully someone will present me with the solution.

System:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1GB DDR SDRAM
ASUS A7V motherboard
ASUS V7100 ATI 9600XT-128MB
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI
Windows XP SP2

Be advised, I haven't done any driver updates in some time, as I have had limited success with ATI's own video drivers and have been using the Omegas which are no longer kept up to date.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Double Post

I tested it out on the release INF-SSE 3.6.12, and while the thunder still sounds different than I remember, (which is probably due to an MVP improvement), it no longer clatters around and drowns out or overrides other sounds or effects.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, as you have sound issues, I'd recommend upgrading your sound card drivers.  Creative has done a lot to improve OpenAL support, although it may not be as noticeable on XP.  Still, if there are newer drivers, I'd try them out.  There are drivers for the Audigy 2 as new as April of this year.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Updating of the sound drivers seems to have solved both issues... as far as I can tell.  Thanks.