Author Topic: Planet based fighters?  (Read 11962 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
Re: Planet based fighters?
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:27:56 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Athena is best. Derp Derp Derp.

What was this topic about again?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Fs2's version of the athena was absolutely horrible. Wides set firing points, to balance out the fact that it carries bombs? I loved the athenas firing points. Dead on they were, you couldn't equip the most powerful primaries on it, but i didn't care.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Fs2's version of the athena was absolutely horrible. Wides set firing points, to balance out the fact that it carries bombs? I loved the athenas firing points. Dead on they were, you couldn't equip the most powerful primaries on it, but i didn't care.

except i think the biggest secondary the athena could cary was a stilttto and i personaly found it a good heavy dogfighter
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Also, Vasudans have better engine designs, though Terrans get the better end of the stick when it comes to armor and firepower, in most cases, its seems.
The Vasudans seem to have better beams too.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Also, Vasudans have better engine designs, though Terrans get the better end of the stick when it comes to armor and firepower, in most cases, its seems.

however, the vasudans have to insert a plasma core before firing, no evidence the terrans have to do the same...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Vasudans have better beams, but they don't use them often, which pretty much offsets several advantages they hold over Terran beams.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Wait wait wait wait wait..... are people seriously hating on the Valkyrie??? WTFH?!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:28:17 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Perseus is better because it has higher marks in most areas and is next gen.
The Perseus is a better all-around space superiority fighter, but in the role of a pure interceptor, nothing beats the Valkyrie.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Valk owns pretty hard in dogfights so long as it doesn't need to absorb incoming firepower. I liked it better than the Ulysses back in FS1.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.

except i think the biggest secondary the athena could cary was a stilttto and i personaly found it a good heavy dogfighter
That's what i mean when i said that the fs2 upgrade variant of the athena has wide set firing point to balance out the fact that it carries bombs. The athena not carrying bombs i was all fine with when flying it. It was an awesome durable dog fighter.

Though it doesn't carry bombs, if you equip a bunch of subsystem ****ing missiles. Then that's where it excels very well at disabling cruisers and the like.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

however, the vasudans have to insert a plasma core before firing, no evidence the terrans have to do the same...

I'd say all factions need plasma cores. The difference in color could be obtained by plasmifying (is that even a word?) different elements- for instance, neon has it's emissive spectrum in the reds, sodium's yellowish, a mix of Xe, Kr and Ar would make white, polonium would be AAAf-ish and Bk would emit mostly green.

Now I'll insert a SWAG that beams shoot particles which are plasmified from cores, and which get sooo loaded with energy during firing (perhaps involving mucho electrons bombarding them), that they glow in their emissive spectrum. The glow around the turret could be plasma which leaked out without being accelerated for some reason. The warmup is the phase when the plasmifying process is already working, but the acceleration isn't; and cooldown would be when the accelerator is already off, but a cloud of particles is still gathered around the turret (perhaps still bombarded by mucho electrons).

If you are going to make plasma by bombarding elements with electrons, why not simply accelerate the electrons at the enemy ship?  FS2 beams have a lot of plasma in then, and it would be easier to just skip the plasmafication for all that plasma and instead fire EPB's at your enemies.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think an electron beam would be a hugely effective weapon. Electrons are kind of wimpy.

You're expending a lot of energy to bombard elements with electrons, and then expending even more energy to accelerate that plasma towards the enemy.  Wouldn't it be more energy-efficient to just forget the plasmafication and use the energy that would have been needed for that to hurl a crapload of electrons towards your enemy?  Yes, they're small, but they're relativistic after all.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Where is this whole 'bombarding elements with electrons' thing coming from?

Now I'll insert a SWAG that beams shoot particles which are plasmified from cores, and which get sooo loaded with energy during firing (perhaps involving mucho electrons bombarding them), that they glow in their emissive spectrum.

Well, maybe bombarding ships with electrons didn't produce cool looking beams visible in space?

As I wrote, my theory about beams is a SWAG based on the fact that beams are plasma obtained from cores, which appears to fly at a relativistic speed while glowing.
What about accelerating a stream of electrons in an EM field which then push the particles that are evaporated off the plasma core?

Where is this whole 'bombarding elements with electrons' thing coming from?

If you bombard particles with fast enough electrons, could get them to glow, in a spectrum that's unique to each element.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_discharge_lamp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_spectrum

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I know what an emission spectrum is, but I strongly doubt that bombarding atoms (not particles) with electrons is the way you want to go about this.

However I'm actually in favor of the plasma beam theory.