Author Topic: R.U.S.E.  (Read 5702 times)

http://www.rusegame.com/
Free public beta being offered on steam. Real-Time Strategy game set in WW2 featuring the Soviets, Americans, British, Italians, French and of course, Nazis.
What makes it different is that you have these things called "Ruses" where you can initiate things like fake assaults, bases and intel to your opponent in order to misinform and confuse him...hence the name, "R.U.S.E.".

Also some pretty gorgeous graphics to boot. Being published by Ubisoft.

Anyone try it out yet?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline mxlm

What makes it different is that you have to be online at all times in order to play the game.

So, no, I haven't tried it. Shame, too, because I was interested before Ubi unveiled its new DRM.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

I got distracted by the video at top. I thought the site was still loading.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Why are people still making WWII games?

What makes it different is that you have to be online at all times in order to play the game.
No, you don't. There's a battle mode against the AI and the full game will have a campaign complete with tutorials.

A very good question.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
site thinks i'm in quebec.
I'm in Hamilton.

and i'm not a fan of the core mechanic, preferring feint attacks like in a normal RTS.
No, you don't. There's a battle mode against the AI and the full game will have a campaign complete with tutorials.

its called the new ubisoft BS-DRM

site thinks i'm in quebec.
I'm in Hamilton.

and i'm not a fan of the core mechanic, preferring feint attacks like in a normal RTS.
Same here, on both accounts. Except I'm in Calgary.

its called the new ubisoft BS-DRM
Oh. that online. I thought he was talking about there being no single-player options.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

Why are people still making LOTR/Star Wars/Whatever games?

They. Sell.

Then the real question is....

Why do people buy them? I got sick of WW2 games after playing COD 1 and MOH Airborne.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Cuz a WWI game would be unbalanced against the player.

For example:
Player 1 has entered the game
Player 1 has been killed by artillery
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 killed by maxim gun fire
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 catches flu and dies
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 trips and drowns in trench mud
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 killed by artillery
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 learns WW1's inception has nothing to do with a bloke named Archie Duke shooting an ostrich
Player 1 respawns
Player 1 vomits up his own inards during gas attack
Player 1 has left the game
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Then the real question is....

Why do people buy them? I got sick of WW2 games after playing COD 1 and MOH Airborne.
Because...they're not you? :p

*snip*
-- My first ten playthroughs of COD2 on veteran.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
[
A very good question.

Because this is the first WW2 that lets you do Operation Fortitude and the Double Cross System, funkspiels, the rest of that fun stuff.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

So this game has a lot of focus on counter-intelligence and misinformation?  That sounds nice, as not a lot of games implement that kind of thing.  Supreme Commander had jammers and radar stealth and Zero Hour had Prince Kassad being able to build decoy buildings, but from what I'm hearing (and I can't access R.U.S.E.'s homepage without making an Ubisoft account, and I'm not doing that) this sounds like playing dirty is the name of the game.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Well after playing against the AI on easy the only RUSEs I had to use were the spying (to see enemy units, which is a waste of a ruse if you just use reconnaissance vehicles) and radio silence (which conceals your units).

However I've already heard stories of the developers using really dirty tactics against players they  play against. One example was how someone got completely owned when his opponent built a decoy airfield, so the victim built lots of AA units and light tanks to counter, only to be fooled by the fake assault as a real  and very large tank assault slaughtered his units and ended the game in under a minute.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Nice.

It seems like the game is unrealisticly focused on trickery, and leaves lots of other mechanics out. Not that it's a problem.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, makes it fun. :)
What's wrong with them?

Offline newman

I find that generally depends on game type. With simulations it's an easy answer: ww2 era provides most fun at a reasonable level of realism. Take modern subs for instance - a realistic sim of a modern sub would have a very small audience, due to it being too complex. I remember Sub Command - it was basically a sonar sim with an 800 page manual (or so). Same thing with planes. In general WW2 planes are cooler, more capable etc then WW1 ones so it makes for a fun game while still feeling more or less realistic (to call it a sim rather then a shooter anyway). Modern aircraft with their zillions of radar modes and complex avionics etc mean that making a realistic game limits your fan base quite a bit. On the other hand if you dumb it down you'll probably end up with something like Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. which isn't a sim. So in terms of balancing gameplay and realism I'd say ww2 is the obvious candidate. With FPS and RTS though there's less excuses to keep sticking to ww2. Heck I think I could find my way through towns like Carentan, Normandy without ever having been there, so I'm kind of sick of FPS and RTS WW2 games :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Considering UBI's servers have been torpedoed twice already, leaving all but the pirates unable to play games that use their DRM, I refuse to buy any game that introduces such a vulnerability into its design. The game itself looks interesting, but I won't buy it out of principle.

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!

Were still waiting for WW3 to happen
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.