Author Topic: Caprica 1x09 "End of Line" [Spoilers]  (Read 19064 times)

Offline Snagger

Re: Caprica 1x09 "End of Line" [Spoilers]
Wolfy I asked about country bashing because Snagger was being all anti American.

However I do think we can and should planet bash. For instance I hate the Earth. Its always trying to kill us and I wish that our space faring ancestors landed on a planet that was a tropical paradise with free high speed internet access. But wed probably just end up wrecking that planet too.
I'm anything but anti-American, in fact I get hassle off other members on another forum I use for defending the US.  I don't make the automatic assumption that a countries political or industrial practices are representative of the nature of the population.  My opinion of Americans is that by and large, you won't find a harder working, friendlier or more generous society.  Equally, Gordon Brown is far from representative of most Brits.

That does not mean that I approve of everything that your (or our) politicians do, or necessarily disagree.  However, it's bloody annoying when your TV networks prevent other nations viewing webisodes, podcasts and so on of shows they have exported to our networks (or, in the UK's case, jointly produced).  I don't blame Americans for that, but I do blame US media networks and the artists' unions and guilds.

I suggest you grow up a little and stop seeing every criticism of something done in the US as an attack on the country.  It's that paranoid attitude that makes Europeans take the piss out of you.

Offline Wolfy

Well, to be honest, I can kiiiind of see why amrican tv companies dont show their own products to other countries. However, in the case of jointly made programs, the TV Companies should atleast co-ordinate so they are shown in the different countries at the same time, thus allowing the different corporations to put it online to there countries about th same time.

There was a show on te BBC some time in the later half of last year, i dont renember its name, but i quite liked it. Jointly made by an American company, BBC, a german, a canadian company any maybe 1 or 2 others. It was quite good, but the BBC kept pushing it back loads until it was on really late at night. Turns out it had been shown else where MUCH earlier. So i wondered if maybe everyone was watching it online maybe and the BBC was getting less viewing figures because of this? or maybe i was the onlyone who liked it and no one else watched it? P

However, i agree that things like Webisodes shouldnt be US/UK only, for example, on battlestar, the websiodes where only shown in America, so noone else was able to view them as thy dont seem to be sent to the UK stations, that or Sky1 got them but decided not to show them...? but oh well, i guess thats why Youtube was invented.

Also, piracy rules in this country are totally beginning to suck.
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Ok good point Snagger. But back to the Caprica subject. The following is probably enough of a spoiler that ill block it out. Its the names of the episodes for the rest of the season.

Spoiler:
I found the names of the episodes for the second half of the season. Unvanquished, Retribution, Things We Lock Away, False Labor, Blowback, The Dirteaters, The Heavens Will Rise, Here Be Dragons, Apotheosis. The link where I found them. http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Apotheosis_%28episode%29

Offline Wolfy

ooooh

Spoiler:
Here be Dragons

I like it!

Offline Snagger

Interesting titles.

Out of curiosity, how long have US networks been making seasons in halves, and why?  I think I heard it was something to do with breaking around the sports seasons in order not to lose viewing figures to sports channels, which makes sense. Of course, it could be a bit of a scam by the studios to split the DVD sales into more boxes and drive up overall revenue from that...

It doesn't generally happen over here, and certainly not with our home-grown series, but Galactica and recently Stargate have been shown over here in half-series with mid season breaks of several months, probably because we are now getting them within weeks of airing on US networks rather than being a year or two behind as was always previously the case.

Offline Wolfy

Acturally, it does sometime happen over here. BBCs Water Loo road has had a mid season break about the same length as Stargate Universe had.

Also, the studios don't get money from the DVD Sales. With Stargate atleast, Syfy splits the seasons up, yet they have nothing to do with the DVD sales, MGM are Stargates DVD peoples.

source: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/03/syfy-talks-sgus-scheduling-strategy/

That above link also talks about scheduleing strategy for Stargate, and seeming Caprica shares the same slot, it should also apply for Caprica too.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I think IT IS for DVD sales

Season 2, 2.5, 4, 5.5

= $$$$$$$$ or ££££££££££££

Also, I think it's so networks don't have to commit to entire seasons of shows. If the show is awful, they can cut it off mis deason
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline newman

Also, I think it's so networks don't have to commit to entire seasons of shows. If the show is awful, they can cut it off mis deason

FOX is gonna love that, as the show being awful rarely has anything to do with it getting canceled or not... I'm just glad they haven't thought of applying this principle on firefly or we'd get like two episodes :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Wolfy

I STILL can't beleive they cancelled firefly   :(

It's been years I know...

Quote from: Allied Command, JAD:SSE
READY THE MESON BOMB!!!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Snagger

I STILL can't beleive they cancelled firefly   :(

It's been years I know...
The British TV companies don't cancel shows half way through a series and we don't tend to screen them when no-one wants to watch, even when they really should, but you guys just had to win the War of Independence, didn't you!  Had you shown a little more foresight, we'd all have had a full season of Firefly and it would probably have been picked up for more seasons too. ;7

Offline newman

Of course, a full season in UK terms probably means 6 episodes so that kinda makes the point moot :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Wolfy

Yeah, seasons here in the UK dont tend to last long. Doctor Who, Tourchwood, Primeval and Merlin get 12 or 13 episodes normally, thats quite a lot for UK tv series.

Sitcoms often get about 6 episodes a season, but theres 2 or 3 seasons a year.

Compared to the US where 20 epsiode seasons are quite common in sci-fi, which is acturally still quite short if u look at the length of some f the Star trek TNG seasons
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 02:51:30 pm by Wolfy »

Anybody remember that bit on "The Simpsons" with the PBS telethon? "Not hard to see why it's England's longest running series. And today, we're showing all seven episodes!"

Offline Rebound

For those across the pond concerned about streaming episodes...

The reason you cant stream many US shows is the same reason we over here cant stream many UK shows which is that there is some sort of "legitimate"  way to watch them in your country. We arent able to watch streamed Doctor Who episodes here because they air on BBC America and if we could watch them streamed BBC America's ratings  would take a nose dive same shows headed your way We are usually a few weeks to a few months ahead on new episodes of BSG,Caprica,etc. Just like BBC is about a month ahead on episodes of Doctor Who.  So really it doesnt come down to some nationalistic motivation it comes down to the fact that the networks in our own countries (or their subsidiaries in other countries) are looking at their ratings and the bottom line. No vast TV conspiracy.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Ok Rebound, so explain the fact that no one in Australia has shown Caprica at all, or even an interest in it. Yet I'm included in the blanket 'Rest of the world'.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Can you get it in Rhodesia?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE