Author Topic: WAR falls behind DAOC  (Read 5391 times)

Re: WAR falls behind DAOC
Well, at least they got someone familiar with the universe to write the movie, especially someone as gifted as Abnett. Just as long as he doesn't completely disregard canon....
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

I don't believe Abnett has ever completely disregarded canon.  He may have bent it in a few places, but it certainly isn't as bad as what Relic did with the Dawn of War franchise (sorcerer working with the World Eaters and summoning Horrors for them in WA for example), and let's not even think of bringing up He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and his Khornate Sorcerer and Space Marine with a multilaser.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I've got some good news about the movie: Dan Abnett is the writer.

As someone who has actually watched Abnett's quality vary over the years from early Gaunt (which wasn't great, but good) to Brothers of the Snake (which was excellent) to Titanicus (which is good when dealing with the giant robots, but deals with the giant robots for maybe a quarter of the book, and I suspect I'm being generous)...

...DO NOT WANT. Abnett can't hold his focus well enough to create a movie.

Give it to Sandy Mitchell you wankers.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Don't forget Abnett did Eisenhorn and Ravenor.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

I've got some good news about the movie: Dan Abnett is the writer.
...Give it to Sandy Mitchell...

Forget the Ultramarines, give me CIAPHAS CAIN!
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Don't forget Abnett did Eisenhorn and Ravenor.

Like I said, trends over time. They're in there too, but Titanicus, late Gaunt, and Double Eagle and its sequel are far more recent then either and shows a sort of scatterbrained plotting that'll destroy a movie.

Forget the Ultramarines, give me CIAPHAS CAIN!

I was thinking of his Dark Heresy books, personally.

But yes, I'd go for a Cain movie in a heartbeat. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

Wait, hang on, EA's been pretty good of late. Activision is the evil soul-sucker now.

Dude, Ubisoft.

I mean, I get it, they're flailing about in a blind panic hoping to find some way to convert PC pirates into customers, but their current approach is not optimal.

Or, I mean, acceptable.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Machaka

Dude, Ubisoft.

I mean, I get it, they're flailing about in a blind panic hoping to find some way to convert PC pirates into customers, but their current approach is not optimal.

Or, I mean, acceptable.

yeah, man.  Did you see Blizzard's joke yesterday about DRM?  pretty sure it was aimed at them

A revolutionary new Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme in 5 easy steps:

* Open the Spin-A-Spacer DRM application on any smart phone*
    * Line up the spacer faces to reveal the page/word matrix value
    * Consult your player guide / lore manual, and turn to the appropriate page
    * Use the special 3d lenticular glasses to decode the margin text and find the keyword passphrase
    * Enter the special passphrase into the on-screen prompt
    * Speak “OK” clearly and audibly into the device’s audio input
    * ENJOY! (Occassionally, you may be asked to call a toll-free 800 number to verify your identity)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I think it depends on what time of day you check.  BTW, Mythic was folded into the Bioware studio and put under the purview of Dr. Ray Muzyka has said they have plans for additional content and an expansion.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Topgun

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Speaking of Warhammer 40K books and stories...

Anyone ever read Love Can Bloom? :lol:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Hey, LCB's not badly written. It's when you start sequeling it things get terribly bizarre.

Still prefer The Man Who Cried Grendel.

A Feddie Story

I just don't find anything remotely decent about a semi-serious fan fiction involving a Vindicare Assassin falling in love with the Farseer he's been assigned to terminate.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Who knew that was even possible?  Vindicare training is supposed to be unbreakable, which makes said Assassin the largest Mary Sue in history.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Who knew that was even possible?  Vindicare training is supposed to be unbreakable, which makes said Assassin the largest Mary Sue in history.

The only guys with absolutely unbreakable training in the Imperium are Grey Knights. (And yeah, the later chapters do point out there was Chaotic influence at work. There's a rather hilarous "conversation" between LIVII and a Daemonette, where he keeps shooting the Daemonette in the face while it tries to talk to him.)

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I just don't find anything remotely decent about a semi-serious fan fiction involving a Vindicare Assassin falling in love with the Farseer he's been assigned to terminate.

Poorly thought pof, altough the writing style is decent. But really. Love there feels like a sniper bullet.
*BOOM. LOVESHOT!*

Didn't even have read the whole thing to see that it had a SERIOUS problem with the pacing.
Love should grow with time... in this case a LONG time. Going from hatered to mistrust, to respect, to trust, to friendship, and finally to love.

Who knew that was even possible?  Vindicare training is supposed to be unbreakable

There's no such thing as impossible or unbreakable. Any system that has humans involved in it is by definition not foolproof.
Still it would have been far more believable if it was a Imperial Guard - heck, even a Space Marine.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
You mean like Gabriel Angelos and Farseer Macha.