Author Topic: New Shivan Theories  (Read 17271 times)

In the previous Shivan theories thread, it was suggested a number of times that Capella was destroyed in order to somehow provide a benefit for the Shivans other than wiping out a Terran system. Maybe it was the secret to opening some sort of portal to another dimension, and such.
After just a little thinking, I would like to add my support to this type of theory.
In the final cutscene of FS2, the Sathani start the nova, and some enter subspace while others stayed behind and were consumed. Where did they jump to???? An intrasystem jump could not have taken them out of range of the nova, and there were no intersystem jump nodes that weren't already or soon would be collapsed by the GTVA.

The only plausable explanation I can think of is that the Sathani opened up a new subspace node in the vicinity of the Capella star. Possibly a super node.

(Apologies if this has been discussed too much)

Offline Dekzar

While it may not be as exciting - isn't it possible it was an intrasystem jump to a node, from which they left Capella entirely? It's been a while since I saw the cutscene, but it seems that the ones that did jump left a few seconds before the star went nova, but I don't know if that really leaves them enough time.

On another note - if they were trying to create some sort of "super node", why Capella? Why not any other star?

I dunno, I've always felt there was some specific reason they wanted the GTVA out of the Nebula. But I'm no expert in the lore by any means.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Fluidic space :nod:

[JUSTACOUPLEMORETHINGS]
There's a big difference between a nova and a supernova.  Using the term "nova" as shorthand for "supernova" is bad practice.

Regarding an intrasystem jump to a jump node: is the requirement of recharging a jump drive before another jump canon or not?  I know it was used in AoA, but I can't recall any time it was mentioned in the canon.
[/JUSTACOUPLEMORETHINGS]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:01:17 am by Kopachris »
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:07:25 am by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

There's a big difference between a nova and a supernova.  Using the term "nova" as shorthand for "supernova" is bad practice.

Regarding an intrasystem jump to a jump node: is the requirement of recharging a jump drive before another jump canon or not?  I know it was used in AoA, but I can't recall any time it was mentioned in the canon.
And that's what I get for not wikipedia-ing some things first... I had assumed that "supernova" was just a really big nova. Apparently stars survive going nova.

Almost every mission in FS 1 and 2 indicate that microjumps directly to a node are either not possible or not practical. If such were possible, no ship would ever linger in real space long enough to be bombed or beamed to death. Even Shivan ships.

Maybe they made an intersystem jump without using a node like a command briefing was saying something about 2 missions before.
You mean when the guys said, "As far as we know Shivans require jump nodes."? It is possible they were wrong, but that presumption was based on all observed Shivan behavior so far.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
The King's Gambit briefing.
The NTF fleet will enter through the Capella jump node. Each warship will then jump to a rallying point within the Gamma Draconis system. In the interval between jumps, they will re-energize their subspace drives.
Although, the Iceni jumped out pretty quickly through the Knossos after arriving(less than a minute), just a few missions later. We don't know how long this recharge is supposed to take, but logically, one would probably figure bigger ships would take longer than smaller ships.

EDIT: My half-baked guess/conjecture might be that showing right up at the node would basically force you to actually be a literal(nigh-stationary) sitting duck while you wait for your drive to recharge before you'd be able to jump out; therefore, most ships jump in a moderate distance away from a node they wish to enter, so their drive recharge occurs during their normal-space transit time to the node.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:29:07 am by Timerlane »

Considering how slowly FS ships move, is there any significant difference between being in motion and being a sitting duck?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Maybe nodes have some sort of sphere of influence, making it impossible to exit an intrasystem jump too close or else space collapses on itself or something.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Considering how slowly FS ships move, is there any significant difference between being in motion and being a sitting duck?
It'd sure make Mjolnir cannons and node blockades more effective. :lol: Predict with near absolute certainty where potential targets will appear, leaving or arriving. Just line up the Orion broadsides at the node, and shout "Pull!" whenever a vortex appears.

The other potential problem I might see is the fact that a node is a moderately finite amount of space. We don't know if there are safeguards inherent in the technology, but perhaps it would be possible to accidentally jump 'into' a ship already waiting at the node. A large ship, like a destroyer, could certainly cause a lot of trouble, whether waiting or arriving.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:12:58 am by Timerlane »

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:07:42 am by High Max »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wut you talking about?

Tech room states that shivans are dependant on nodes, just as the T&V are.

When did a Sathanas jump from system to system without using a node?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Since the supernova travels at, at most, light speed they would have had possibly as much as an hour to escape out of the Gamma Drac node.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Regarding an intrasystem jump to a jump node: is the requirement of recharging a jump drive before another jump canon or not?  I know it was used in AoA, but I can't recall any time it was mentioned in the canon.
[/JUSTACOUPLEMORETHINGS]

Why would we have to assume that the masters of subspace, who are an extremely old and elder species, are limited by the constrants that are mentioned in Terran/Vasudan subspace canon? Surely they can do the unexpected.

Let me add: Skeptics have argued that the Shivans made intersystem jumps without using nodes in Ross 128, Ikeya, Regulus and other systems in the Great War. Then 2 missions later, we see what appears to be the remaining Sathani making intersystem jumps without using nodes in that cutscene. I doubt V would include that for nothing. It must mean something.

two scenarios come to mind here

is the attemt to collaps the knossos device, the following debried or command brief (i cant remember which) specificaly states that the GD/nebular node had stabalised and all that the mission had sucseeded in doing was to blow up the device as the node was no longer dependant on it.

the final cutscene where the sathanas juganaughts blow up capella, I belive the consensus on this is that the actions of the sathanas fleet caused a special node type for unknown reasons (further suggested by the green as apposed to the typical blue jump vortex, green used as the "special warp" effect in FS)

also all through out fs 1 and 2 it is maintained that the shivans are just as dependant on nodes as t&v but speculates that they can use nodes which are too unstable for us to use, basicaly they have safer/more stable jumpdrives than we do but they still use the same basic physics which is entierly possible if that is the only way to travel faster than light in universe which i think is :v:'s intent
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Also remember something, in the cutscene "The Bastion," the GTD Bastion is seen jumping without a node. My theory as to why: the green/blue/amber/whatever spheres we know and love as jump nodes are placed there by a ship's hud so a fighter pilot knows where the heck the thing is without having to look at his or her sensors and possibly distracting them a battle which could get them killed. so in cutscenes, the nodes are not represented as the cutscenes are not from the perspective of a fighter pilot in a strikecraft

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think that's exactly how it's always worked in canon, actually. So your theory is correct.

is the attemt to collaps the knossos device, the following debried or command brief (i cant remember which) specificaly states that the GD/nebular node had stabalised and all that the mission had sucseeded in doing was to blow up the device as the node was no longer dependant on it.

Yep, it is canon that the node got stabilized when the Knossos blew up.

Question: Since the Portal got destroyed only a minute or so before the Sath warped out, was it in fact the Meson bomb explosion that stabilized the node, or could it be the Sathanas that was inside?
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It probably just stabilized naturally at some point during the Knossos' 'on' phase.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Exactly.  Think of a Knossos as akin to an engineering team constantly shoring up the levees along the banks of a river to prevent them from breaking.  Provided the engineers aren't a bunch of lazy bums, they can presumably fortify the levees faster than the river can erode them away.  Now obviously, if the engineers packed up and left for good, the river would eventually undermine and destroy the levees, but provided they did their job well enough, it might take decades for that to happen.  In the same way, the operation of the Knossos for the comparatively-short time during the events of FS2 was enough to stabilize it even after the Knossos's destruction, and maybe even for good.

Incidentally, I feel like that aspect of the Knossos ties in nicely with the "Lucifer fleet as cut-off remnants" theory.  Based on the Ancient monologues, one would think that the Ancients shut down the Knossos in the face of the overwhelming Shivan advance, which ultimately proved futile in stopping the Lucifer.  But by the time the Shivans completely finished off the Ancients and returned to the Knossos, perhaps it had been inactive for long enough to make the node impassable once again, trapping the Lucifer fleet on "our" side.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:08:08 am by High Max »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Actually, one of the late CBs in FS2 says that they are, at least according to Allied experts.

However they can traverse unstable nodes.