Author Topic: FSF: Tech demo  (Read 12549 times)

Offline Inquisitor

I can assemble something in like a week, so we can play with feature ideas and prototype stuff.

What I need:

I have a Uly, Gimme a Vasudan and or a Shivan fighter, with skins in at least 3ds format.

Be nice if I could have someone in max gimme a low poly vasudan and/or Shivan model.

A start screen, 640x480 with Freespace Forever somewhere in it and a place for me to put 5 or 6 buttons, about 100 pixes or so wide.

While a replacement engine is quite a ways out, I can at least prove how doable this is in a short time period, I've written most of the code already, just need to yank gravity to give what I have a more space sim feel.

Other things that would be nice:
A Vasudan carrier in MAX (I have a plugin for max t hat will do the conversion, I'll supply to the artist)

An Orion in MAX (I have a plugin for max t hat will do the conversion, I'll supply to the artist) or maybe one of them spiffy space stations like Ross128 (what are they called again? Arcadia?).

Hi res, scaled 512x512 conversion of the existing Uly skin.

That, and about 3 days worth of messing with script, maybe a day of goofing with the C++ code to do something about the gravity and you guys can have something playable (with multi), that shows you it can be done.

Deal?

Additionally, I suggest that the 2 programmer types get together and talk, pick some freeware engines to eval, and see if they can start 1) hammering out a real feature set, and 2)start seeing if they like each other enough to work togther.

Resumes are still slowly trickling in, so, we shall see.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2002, 09:34:44 am by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm on the Vasudan/Shivan fighters and skins, will ICQ them to you when I'm done :nod:

Offline Inquisitor

PS:

For the worldcraft thing, all I need is the shell, don't have to have anyone learn WC and hollow it out, just need the shell, I know some guys who can hollow it out for figter bays, etc

pps:
if someone out there has a max model of the cap ships, I have a plugin that can turn it in to a worldcraft max file, anyone?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2002, 03:11:25 pm by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Update:
I've sent over the Serapis and Mara in 3DS and the Orion, Hatshepsut and Arcadia in DXF (Inq's point about people with MAX versions of those is still good though).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This should be interesting; are you going to modify the Torque engine and see what you can come up with for this? :)

I could also give you any models you may need, in case Thunder is busy or something. ;)

Offline Inquisitor

You have Max?

And yeah, I fgure it will take me a few days to wedge it in, that way people can see what can be done, more or less from scratch, in a short amount of time.

Can't hurt, right?
No signature.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Wow, that was fast (I thought it would take a long time to get some semi-workable code out there)....
Hare you going to distribute it?
Do you need anything else?
I can do some pretty neat tricks with .tbls, when it comes to the gravity situation (that is, if you're going to be using them for now;))....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2002, 07:08:29 pm by 368 »

Offline Inquisitor

I just thought I'd put something up, this is done in Torque, probably won't resemble FS at all except for the models.

Stay tuned :)
No signature.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
inqui .. email me and i'll setup admin access for you on my sourceforge account
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Inquisitor

FYI, this is a worldcraft created ship in the engine.

Not great, but it's bloody huge.

http://forums.shatteredstar.com/user-cgi/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000132

But if I can get proper FS ships, I think that will be a good tech demo :)
No signature.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
what engine is this and where did you get it.. we need to work on our communication

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
This is the Torque engine, used in Tribes 2. It can be bought for..what? $200 or some other obscenely low price?
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Inquisitor

100 bucks, 2 video games worth of cashola.

http://www.garagegames.com

Just been messing with it for about 10 months, did a tech demo in November for an academic thing (http://www.deckersds.com/endeavor), kinda made a little game out of it  for the SSC guys for Xmas (http://www.shatteredstar.com/friendlyfire).

Not sure what ya mean, Kaz, been posting these screenies for a while, just got that ship from my guy earlier this evening, thought I'd show y'all the fruits of his labor. I believe I have also mentioned TQ in, oh, every thread I have posted on on this subject.

;)

Anyway, I have the basics done, figured I could grab some FS models and make a bit of a demo for this thing, that way we have something to talk about rather than think in the abstract.
No signature.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
This thing is becoming serious... :nod:
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Other things that would be nice:
A Vasudan carrier in DXF (Worldcraft even better)

An Orion in DXF (Worldcraft even better) or maybe one of them spiffy space stations like Ross128 (what are they called again?).

GTI Arcadia. :)

Why DXF? You'll lose all your textures, won't you?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Originally posted by Inquisitor
PS:

pps:
if someone out there has a max model of the cap ships, I have a plugin that can turn it in to a worldcraft max file, anyone?

I can send you the ones I have. ;)

I could make a simple start image for ya, if you want.
Unless you have anything specifik, you'll get a really simple image. :o
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Stunaep
This thing is becoming serious... :nod:

Very Serious. :D :D :D :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Setekh
Why DXF? You'll lose all your textures, won't you?

yeah, kindda strange choice no?

wait, you tell me that's the TRIBES2 engine? and you can get the source for only 200 bucks? w00t
SCREW CANON!

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
First off - i just got ICQed by someone claiming to be in our "ART division" THERE IS NO SUCH THING

we're programming a new engine - not making a new game

second - you're trying to hijack my project, cease! stop making decisions without even talking to me

third: we're not using an existing engine unless it's really good - and we're definantly not using one you have to pay for

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
With all due respect Kazan, at the start of all this you said that you were not heading this project. It's your concept but you shunned the project management job. Yes you have a say but this laying down the law of yours is certainly not the way to achieve anything. Inquisitors idea of getting something going and having a basic plan is a good idea - certainly superior to talking for a long time untill you give up and nothing gets done. He's not hijacking your project because whilst it's your initial concept - nothings been done. This is a community project and since you aren't the project leader you can't claim that anyone stole your idea.

In short, Sit down and let someone else lead this thing - you simply aren't suited for it, programming is what you do and you've said so yourself.